Thread: Whats in your makeup bag?

Whats in your makeup bag?

Hi girls, i was wondering, what would be a good "starter" make up kit, to get going, i have not worn make up before so your help would be great!

My skin is very sensitive to certain soaps, and dries out easily, and if i over moisterise it get too oily and i get the odd spot, probably a typical guys skin!!

Also, if your GF is not keen on showing you, where have you learnt to apply it? Have you learnt from trial and error?

Dee.

what i have!!

i have revlon makeup, some revlon mascara,maybelline glitter lipsticks,tropez lipglosses and those do me justice

Here;s what's in my makeup box sorry for the large pic...

DanaJ

~~Post Modern Romantic~~ KewTnCurvy GG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deelite
    Hi girls, i was wondering, what would be a good "starter" make up kit, to get going, i have not worn make up before so your help would be great!

My skin is very sensitive to certain soaps, and dries out easily, and if i over moisterise it get too oily and i get the odd spot, probably a typical guys skin!!

Also, if your GF is not keen on showing you, where have you learnt to apply it? Have you learnt from trial and error?

Dee.
    How much time do you have?
    hugs
    kew
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Hate Oz, took the shoes, find your own way home.
    Toto~

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ

DanaJ
    Show off
    hugs
    kew
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Toto~

Dana, that is some organization happening there, sho' nuff!

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Smile Makeup

Dana's prepared to TACKLE any makeup emergency! ;-)

I just have a cardboard box, LOL...
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

Dana, now thats what i call a MAKEUP KIT!!!!

Very impressive.

Phew, i have some buying to do!!

Dee.

I don't have one =(

LOL everyone, that just goes to show you how much makeup I need to barely appear femme

DanaJ

LOL everyone, that just goes to show you how much makeup I need to barely appear femme

DanaJ

Gads, more false modesty!
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

I got a makeup kit after christmas from my mom. She knows about me and is very supportive and she thought that it would be a good starter for me. it has 18 different eye shadows, 6 blushes, 6 nail colors, and about 12 different lip colors as well as brushes and nail tools all in a leather look case that is divided for easy access and carrying. I have also gotten some powder and lip stick on my own as well as several nail colors as well. A girl can never tell what she might need.

huggs
    anna
    [SIZE=5]Be who you are not who others think you should be.
    May the Great Spirit Bless you in all things.[SIZE=2]
    My website: [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2]http://360.yahoo.com/mrsanna_25
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=5][SIZE=2] The Be-All Website: http://www.be-all.org/
    The National Center for Transgender Equality http://www.nctequality.org/
    [/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

DanaJ

snip..
    Very nice.

I can actually recognize the brands of makeup you use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a similar question. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure out the best colors and shades of makeup?
    Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the hell with sugar and spice.

Whatever i can sneak outta Kew's ...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy_Marie
    I have a similar question. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to figure out the best colors and shades of makeup?
    Depends on your colouring. Probably a good source is:

http://www.lhj.com/home/Makeup-Tips.html

http://health.discovery.com/centers/.../eyecolor.html

http://www.prescriptives.com/askthee...l?expert=darac

http://www.tomigion.com/phpshop/marilyn_tips2.html

Beyone these, and I'm sure there are a million sites on the net with other opinions, my suggestions are as follows.

Foundation: Know your type of skin tone. Prescriptives has a very good system for determining your skin tone. If you have the courage have them 'type' you. You can do this at one of their counters. In general, though, you're either fair, medium, olive or dark skinned. Of course there are degree and gradations. The trick with foundation is to match it as closely as possible. It should blend and not be detectable. If you have a line of demarcation on your jawline, you've gotten the wrong shade. Also, consider degree of coverage. Coverage ranges from sheer (almost see through) to full (covers imperfections) and, of course, everything in between. Most CD's will want full coverage due to their beards. Also, consider skin type: oily, normal, combination, dry. You want a foundation that addresses your skin type as well.

Blush: It should be subtle, not scream! And it should only go on the apples of your cheeks (smile whilst you put it on). Longer lasting (but trickier to use) are gels and stains. While powder is the choice for most. As for shade. Fair skins should pick in the pinky tones. Medium/Olive can use peachier tones. While dark skin can use reds or wines. Again, depends on how much drama you want to create. Someone with fair skin may use a plummy-ier shade for a night on the town. Experiment.

Eyeshadow: This is a tough and tricky category. Most of us can wear a variety of shades and tones. I am very fair skinned with dark hair and hazel eyes. I generally wear plummy, pink, brownish and green shadows as I've found they compliment my skin tones. With eye shadow, you want it to compliment, not match. And you may want it to draw out your eyecolour or compliment your hair colour. Again, experiment.

Lipstick: Some of the same rules apply here as previously stated. However, again, compliment is generally the rule. I tend to use a lipstain with a gloss over it. It wears longer. Frosty lipsticks look bad on almost everyone. If your lips are smallish, you generally don't want to dark a lipstick and you want to use a gloss. It gives the appearance of larger lips. Also, as for the shade; generally the rules I stated above for blush apply. Keep in mind lipsticks come in matte (doesn't reflect the light), sheer (almost see through), irridescent/shimmery, creams (no shimmer, but reflects some light). Again, it depends on the look you wish to achieve.

Hope this helps grrlz

hugs
    kew

And, Sherlyn, you know my makeup bag's always open for ya. Just clean the damn brushes when you're done and put the stuff back as ya found it

Love me
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Toto~

as if i'm messy pfffffffft @ Kew ...hehe .....

Dee: My first advice to you is to read as many fashion magazine articles on the application of cosmetics as you can get your hands on. Great tips in those mags-- and they are so fun to read!
    Personally, I like Loreal foundations, Loreal lip colors, Maybelline blushes, Cover Girl eye shadows, Maybelline and Loreal mascaras. I usually buy lip and eye pencils from Wet N' Wild. I use Revlon and Maybelline nail polishes.
    I buy Cover Girl face/transluscent powder for light dusting over my completed makeover. It sets your make-up with a soft touch and minimizes that oily pore look.
    Yes, Dee-- it's quite a collection but it's fun to watch it grow. A large collection gives you lots of versatility. Organizing it is the key. I use separate make-up bags to consolidtae my eye products, lip colors, foundations, etc.
    Keep the shelf-life to less than three years. Experts say 6 months, but that's unrealistic. Remember, they're in the business to SELL makeup. If you keep everything very clean and avoid contamination a couple of years is fine. Usually by then you want to replace it anyway-- shopping is half the fun!
    OH-- don't forget to buy nice brushes and learn how to use them.
    Marie

Marie, Kew, thanks, you have been a great help, i know this is a very fine art, and it will take quite a while to get the hang of applying etc.

I am fair skinned (skin burns very easily) so i will try for some colours kew was mentioning and go from there.

Dee.

Depends on the Look

What kind of look are you going for? Younger, more mature, more playful, little evil? Either way I have three letters that I can strongly recommend....

M*A*C

They've got great stuff online, and have all but the strangest colors (I've been going from a reddish look to a bluish one, and the best makeup line for the "off" colors is Manic Panic [got an awesome blue lipstick called After Midnight]).

Have to warn you, that with makeup you pretty much get what you pay for as far as intensity, although L'Oreal comes highly recommended by my SO, since she says the company is the budget offshoot of Lancom, Paris.

To Get Started:
    Get a angled makeup brush, a small applicator brush, and a blush brush (looks like a pom pom)
    Essentials: Lipstick, Eyeliner, Eyeshadow, Blush; For CD's we'll also need a good foundation and a good concealer for that stubborn subcutaneous stubble.
    Nice To Have: Gum Arabic (to lay over eyebrows), Kryolan Plastic or Ben Nye Nose/Scar Wax (to erase eyebrows), lip liner (to keep lipstick from bleeding), etc. etc.

As you become more sophisticated your collection will grow, and vice versa.

Also, next time you stop by the nearest bookstore, look for some books on makeup, they help alot!

Hope this helps...

p.s. Missed seeing you around Kew (no offense Sherlyn)
    Too... Shy shy... hush hush, eye to eye...

Quote Originally Posted by Shy Charlotte
    p.s. Missed seeing you around Kew (no offense Sherlyn)
    Awwww, thanks, was wondering if anyone has noticed my absence here. Nice to know I'm missed.
    hugs
    kew
    ~Dear Dorothy,
    Toto~

Hehe

How could you not be missed, Kew. I thought you were another member that was suffering post-election depression like I was. Ah well, no sympathy on this site for that though. Just nice to see you around.. oops, wandering off thread.

Ahem, um, makeup's the key to the universe, just don't forget to de-shine your T-zone and always moisturize 20 minutes before applying makeup. If going out in the heavy sun, you can also apply sunscreen under the makeup, same 20 min rule applies to let the stuff set properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shy Charlotte
    How could you not be missed, Kew. I thought you were another member that was suffering post-election depression like I was. Ah well, no sympathy on this site for that though. Just nice to see you around.. oops, wandering off thread.

Ahem, um, makeup's the key to the universe, just don't forget to de-shine your T-zone and always moisturize 20 minutes before applying makeup. If going out in the heavy sun, you can also apply sunscreen under the makeup, same 20 min rule applies to let the stuff set properly.
    20 mins? where did you get that information from?? I think you should consider using a different moisturiser 5 mins max is all you need to wait before putting your make-up on.

Tamara x
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Bad Experience Once

Usually use an SPF 50 Sunscreen (LA's a desert), and use a placenta based facial moisurizer. Usually have no issues with the foundation after five minutes, but for some reason I noticed that when using Ben Nye concealer, I encounter smudging if I don't wait long enough. Plus it was a suggestion an SO told me once, and who am I to second guess a GG?

I haven't used that concealer so I couldn't comment. Maybe you should try using a different one. Also, do you cleanse and tone before you moisturise?

Tamara x
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn