Thread: Work in Progress, small setback

Work in Progress, small setback

Damn, after reading about Phylis' great day I am jealous. I also need advice. What additional things have any of you done to help make your faces more accepting and like that of a woman's? I was in a TG acepting bar the other night and I had purchased a new wig, dress and heels for the occasion. I thought I looked pretty good. I talked to several of the people that I know there, got my gin and tonic and felt both pretty and good. Three people then came in that were loud and boisterous. The girl was friendly and started swinging on the dance pole that was close to where I was sitting. I encouraged her as she was young, good looking and sexy. She laughed and continued as several others in the bar were encouraging her as well. Her boyfriend then told me that I looked like Robin Williams. I do hear that all the time in drab. I was even offered a job to be his double (did not pay well enough though). The bar went quiet. I thought some of the other patrons were going to kill the guy or have them tossed out. Verbally abusing someone at that bar is just not accepted. To put things more at ease I replied that, that would make me Mrs. Doubtfire. Everyone laughed and the bad silence ended. Several people later came up to me and said they did not like what happened a bit. However, when I'm dressed I don't want to be Robin Williams. I want to be Charlie. So the question! Has anyone been able to really alter their looks using makeup or something else to change masculine faces to feminine (masks aside)?
    Last edited by charlie; 01-22-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Hi Charlie,
    Sorry about your experience but you seemed to have handled it very well. When I was in my 30s and 40s, I could use makeup to pass relatively well (patting myself on the back). It has been several years since I have been able to go out. I plan to start going out again (am now 55), and am in need of the same advice that you are asking. I will be monitoring this thread. At any rate, I am planning on getting a makeover but not from a 20 year old pretty young woman at a department store. I am looking for a place in the Denver area to get a makeover from an older woman to specifically address how to use makeup to bring out more feminine features in my older face. I wish you good luck.
    Kathy

Gold Member
    Lest she sees this, talk to Miss Petra. She will tell you about conturing.
    Yes it is but one person's advice but she very much enjoys talking about how to do makeup.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I think I do a pretty good job of it. And my mother didn't even recognize when she saw what I looked like.

In my younger days, I was quite good at it, and my wife said so

It's the rest of the body I have trouble with now.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 01-22-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    DonnaT

I'm in my sixties and go out every day, yes, in the daytime too.

That being said, a year ago, I wouldn't go out the door without doing full makeup. That involved, moisturizer, liquid foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, eye shadow, eye liner, mascarra, lipstick and gloss.

This proceedure could take up to three hours (drying time and all), not including the getting dressed part, giggle.

Today I use a powder mineral foundation, some light blush, maybe mascarra, maybe lipstick (depends where I'm going and what time of the day it is), put on some clothes and I'm out the door, 15 minutes.

Do I "pass"? Probably not, but I don't care, I know I'm a lady inside, and I act like one. I've met hundreds of people over the last year and have had no negative comments (at least to my face).

So, my advice is, be pretty on the inside and you'll glow on the outside. Be yourself and enjoy life.

And try to ignore annoying people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Model/Actress Jennifer Lynndon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna Lovely View Post
    I'm in my sixties and go out every day, yes, in the daytime too.

That being said, a year ago, I wouldn't go out the door without doing full makeup. That involved, moisturizer, liquid foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, eye shadow, eye liner, mascarra, lipstick and gloss.

This proceedure could take up to three hours (drying time and all), not including the getting dressed part, giggle.

Today I use a powder mineral foundation, some light blush, maybe mascarra, maybe lipstick (depends where I'm going and what time of the day it is), put on some clothes and I'm out the door, 15 minutes.

Do I "pass"? Probably not, but I don't care, I know I'm a lady inside, and I act like one. I've met hundreds of people over the last year and have had no negative comments (at least to my face).

So, my advice is, be pretty on the inside and you'll glow on the outside. Be yourself and enjoy life.

And try to ignore annoying people.
    This is VERY good advice. Beauty and Sexy starts on the inside!

If you're all focused on. "Passing" then you need to start there.

You can continue by reading about make-up application for transgendered individuals. There are many good sources on-line and many books. From there you'll need to follow with the purchase of good materials. That will include make-up, brushes, etc.

And yes ... from there you'll need to start practicing. It isn't going to be easy. You'll need to work at it regardless of how you appear in drab.

I have managed to improve my skills over time, but any time I'll be modeling, I have a make-artist/Genius who takes care of me.

Although my avitar pic isn't the best quality, I like it ... and in drab I'm not the least-bit attractive.

It's all make-up and lighting Girls!

I don't use a lot of makeup myself. I will use foundation, blush, powder, and lipstick. I do keep my eyebrows thin out so look more fem. I think what helps me is I'm also 5'9", 150 lbs, size 8.5 heel, size 12/14 dress so fall more into the fem range than most of us. Like Brianna said, I may not pass all the time, but really don't care anymore and so far have had no negitive responses from anyone.