Thread: Alba Botanica and "against the grain"?

Alba Botanica and "against the grain"?

I'm so sorry but I had posted this as a reply to another topic but had intended it to be a new thread all along. Please accept my apologies.

Hey girls, as someone with a LOT of body hair, I'm always looking for something new on the subject of shaving. I did use Aveeno shaving gel but I seemed to get a worse rash with it, maybe an allergic reaction? I then tried Skintimate gel and liked it as well as the Aveeno. But, at the new Whole Foods supermarket in Austin, I found Alba shaving cream by Alba Botanica. It's an hypo-allergenic, moisturizing cream that works great and seems to tingle as it works. Maybe my imagination but it seems to slow the regrowth as well.

I really hesitate to ask this next question for fear of looking really "stoopid" but, here goes: I keep reading advice about not shaving against the grain or the direction the hair grows. Does this mean that one should only shave, well, let's use the arm for an example, in the direction that the hair grows down the arm, as opposed to then stroking back "up" the arm OR does not shaving against the grain of the hair mean not shaving laterally or across the direction of the hair(as in side to side of the arm, not up and down the arm?) Damn, does any of that make sense? Well, I hope some of it does and maybe, just maybe, some one else has wondered the same (OR, I could be the dimmest one here, lol).
    Anything to help reduce the red bumps and rashes that plague me and so many others I'll bet. I just bought a new twin blade razor last night to try tonight. Read someone say it worked better than the 3 or 4 blade types-I'm game to try! A pox on this body hair!! (why oh why couldn't it ALL have been on my head?!?) Later girls, Olivia.

Some can shave against the grain and some can't for fear of getting ingrowns. Do one arm one way tha the other arm the other way and see if you can tell the difference. Then report back here with the results.
    DonnaT

I use a 4 bladed razor and never worry which way the hair grows seems to me ti grows in all directions especially in the never region...always use a good moisturiser after and baby oil in between (works for me)xx
    Sarah
    TRY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT DO IT AGAIN

If I haven't shaved for some time, I always make the first passes with the grain. I always finish against the grain, because I think I get just a little bit closer. On my chest, I shave up, down, left to right, right to left, diagonally, you name it. I have started a serious waxing campaign on my chest. Wax then pluck the mean looking survivors. Works so far. I find once the shaving bumps retreat, you should be ok for subsequent shaves. shave away. wenda.

I'm with Wenda shave whichever way it works. If I dont shave against the grain I just dont get a good shave. I remember my time in the navy when I had such a problem getting the acceptable shave for awhile. I gave up on not going against the grain, I have to do it. No I dont get ingrown hair at least on my face.

I have gotten ingrown hairs on my chest by tweezing. I be trying the wax before too long.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain