Thread: Being called Ma'am in men's clothes

Being called Ma'am in men's clothes

I work full time as a Paramedic. As you all know, we wear a uniform while at work. It is the standard blue button down shirt with navy cargo pants and black boots. I keep my hair cut short for work.

Anyway, last night, my partner (who was female)and I got a call to go check on a lady that might be having a stroke. Some background on the call - while we are responding, dispatch tells us - that the call originated from another state, the person we were responding to was talking with her daughter, and the daughter thought she was acting funny on the phone, so she called 9-1-1 in her state, then that emergency center contacted our emergency center and we were dispatched.

Now we are on scene, the patients daughter in-law, who turns out lives next door was on scene when we got there. My partner and I start doing our assesment. The patient is answering all our questions appropiatly. Then she asks us, "Where did you ladies come from", my partner and the daughter in-law got a big laugh. The daughter said, she is a lady (pointing to my partner) and he's a man (pointing to me). I, the man, was checking her blood pressure, when again the patient asked, "why is she doing that", and again a big laugh from my partner, duaghter in-law, and now the granddaughter.

Other than mistaken me for a lady, the patient answered all our questions correct and her vitals were OK, so she did not want to go to the hospital. As we were leaving, my partner told them that she would make sure that I, or anyone else at EMS, would not forget this call.

We will see.
    It's a Jeep thing, you would not understand!!

That is pretty cool, you gotta admit.
    I know I always like it when checkout clerks or sales people call me miss or Ma'am when I am in drab. Usually they are just not paying attention and just see me out of their peripheral vision I guess. Since I'm small and don't behave and move as a regular guy would this may be the reason.....

Anyways, I always appreciate it when they do! When they try to correct them selves and apologize I'm like, "it's no big deal" with a smile.

I spread the love of Bob. Mariah's Avatar
    I know I love it when I'm miss or ma'amed in public it's a wonderful feeling.
    And that is a great story! no one was hurt.

keris
    Trans platypus, yes I'm a Platypus.
    Start Transitioning:Jan,2007
    HRT: July,2009 2 years ^_^
    Name Change: Sept 28,2010
    Real Life Test/experience: Sept 1,2010- Sept 1,2011 WOOT DONE!!!!!!!! Waiting on my SRS/GRS letters now. ^_^
    2 years full time, Experience that is valuable!

Yeah it happens to me a lot anymore. I think it's kinda funny. When they recognize their mistake, they are the ones who are embarrassed and apologetic. Hey...no problem. No harm...no foul. And just between all of us...I kinda like it anyway.

I had a similar experience when our son was in his pushchair. We had just come out of a local shop when a woman and her toddler were netering. The toddler asked his mom if he could see my son to which she replied, "You had better ask his mom". Admittedly my hair was long and I was in jeans, T-shirt and flip flops, so fairly unisex dress. Felt great all day.
    Beauty is in the smile of the beholder

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    Cool story. It happens to me A LOT. Especially since I have long hair and I'm naturally girl sized. I have a feminine face as well, and smile a lot more since coming out. I always get a kick out of it when they realize I'm a man and they're always "I'm so sorry sir!". These days I almost feel like telling them straight out, "It's okay, I'm transgendered." LOL!
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

I love being called ma'am when ever it happens. About a year ago I went to my civilian job onboard a Marine Corps base. I had long 3 inch below the neck blonde hair and wearing my drab working clothes, I got called Ma'am upon entering the installation with the presentation of my ID card. Everyday after that I wore a cap so the Guard on duty at the gate knew I wasn't female. But I did after it happened, drive away happy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76795368@N07/

International Men Can Wear A Dress Too Day, Tuesday, May 15 2012

When dresed as a man I was never called "Madam" in face to face relationships, however I'm called "madam" almost 50% of the times when I answer the phone ot the interphone to omen the door of our appartment building...

My voice becomes higher pitched when I'm on the phone.

I use that of course when I am dressed "en femme". I just have to speak in a slightly higher tone of voicen not overdoing it...

Eugenie

Banned Read only

Not A Days Gose By When I Am Not Call Ma'am

I get that every day and I love it,I can be with my kids and called ma'am and my daughter wold say that is my dad, the SA would say oh I am so sorry I would say that is OK.

It would happen at times with my wife with me she would think they are talking to her at times but are talking to me, she would always say when u shave you do look like a woman.

It is so cool

LA CINDY LOVE

I used to get mistaken for a woman occasionally when I was younger and had more hair and a more girlish figure. And I must admit it used to embarrass the hell out of me.

It never happens anymore since I'm balding and usually crop the hair I have.