Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant quite figure it out

Cant quite figure it out

Simple question, whats your opinion:

Is the whole 'Metrosexual' thing just a very subtle form of crossdressing?
    "I'm never really alone, I'm a Gemini."

------------------------------------

I am who I am when I'm not who I'm supposed to be.

Think for yourself and question everything. There is no failure in being wrong - only in letting others think for you.

I am very likely to be very wrong about this, but

I don't think so. I think being metrosexual is just another way of saying being more in tune with human emotions; whether male or female.

I can guess that I am way off on this!

Account is closed
    Metrosexual = horrible fad and a way for scared little men to feel ok that they might be gay

I believe metrosexual is a man that does things like manicures, making sure there hair is all done bascial these can be men that spend more time in the mirror or getting ready then most women. Some even where make up like foundation. From my understand they are not CD's
    Art washes away from the soul the dust of every day life* Picasso

"You with the sad eyes Don't be discouraged
    Oh I realize It's hard to take courage In a world full of people You can lose sight of it all And the darkness, inside you
    Can make you feel so small But I see your true colors Shining through I see your true colors And that's why I love you So don't be afraid to let them show Your true colors
    True colors are beautiful, Like a rainbow"

they have a metrosexual page in the free paper i am lucky enough to read every day i get the bus to work - its mainy about sex - and the most far out thing ive read is about ggs more and more using strap ons on theyre boyfriends - saying that occasionally you do get an article on cding but the last one i read was about a guy who suddenly decided to change sex and become a mistress - dressed as a stable (horse rider) girl - didnt get it !

Banned Read only
    I'm tending to agree with Viktoriya from what I've seen in the media. But then I don't know or hang out with wusses like that. (snicker!)

No, I work with several young people and I don't think the metrosexual thing is about crossdressing. I do think it is on the right side of the curve for males being able to be more femme and I think is is a start for males.
    Just like women being able to dress in jeans and male clothing I think the metro movement is a great step in the right direction.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

Lotus Flower has the right idea. It's about better grooming, mani-pedis', salons for everything from massage to hair removal, and dressing stylish. I guess it could be the start to crossdressing!! Although it's more like being a GQ kinda guy!! Not that I am, but one my bro-in-law's former roommates was.

Na........

I shave my Legs each day, love the feel of a nice skirt.......

um.......you may be right.

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

There was a South Park episode about metrosexuals. Stan's dad was one. With a chant and a parade "We're here we're not queer, get use to it!".

The article at Wikipedia had a summation of a metrosexual: "A man, in other words, who is an advertiser's walking wet dream." i.e. actually shopped and went to a hairdresser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosexual
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

I live in the New Orleans Area of Louisiana.

No

CDing is different.
    Love From Your Sister Michelle
    Flowers are for the Heart, the Mind, and the Soul

I suppose it is a form, or that some may think of it that way.. but mostly I think that some men just want to look good, to look pretty in a different way.. in a male way..

Hugging the Kurves! RobertaFermina's Avatar
    I think the old-world word is Fop, foppish.

A man who is preoccupied with and often vain about his clothes and manners; a dandy.

1: obsolete : a foolish or silly person
    2: a man who is devoted to or vain about his appearance or dress

The metrosexual definition I found:
    : a usually urban heterosexual male given to enhancing his personal appearance by fastidious grooming, beauty treatments, and fashionable clothes

So I go with Fop. this thing has been happening in cultures for a long time.

I wonder what Cro-Magnon Metrosexuals did for their appearance?

Roberta
    [COLOR=Red]Open your Heart :

If I had to guess

Quote Originally Posted by Patrice View Post
    Simple question, whats your opinion:

Is the whole 'Metrosexual' thing just a very subtle form of crossdressing?
    If I had to take a WAG (WIld A$$ed Guess) I'd say that it is probably much like the crossdressing community - one thing does not apply to all. Maybe for some it is, and for some it isn't. One thing I noticed in the responses here, some of the responses seem almost hostile - I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    One thing I noticed in the responses here, some of the responses seem almost hostile - I wonder why?

Boggles the mind eh? This aways bothers me....esp from some that do not want to be judged for what they wear.Unless you are an s.o.....it really doesn't matter if you understand it or not.

To the orig question....as Kimberly has said "Maybe for some it is, and for some it isn't. I see it as someone expressing themselves through clothes ect. When I looked up the def this is what I got.

An urban straight male ranging in age from late teens to mid 30's who is: good looking, stylish, fashionable, trendy, cultured, & well groomed. A metro sexual is very conscious about his image and looks in public. A metro sexual is often associated with getting manicures, facials, & massages, as well as using "products" and shopping at nice clothing stores.
    examples
    Freddie Prinze Jr, David Beckham, Alex Rodriguez
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

Paranoia rules Christina Louise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertaFermina View Post
    I think the old-world word is Fop, foppish.
    Fop is such a great word to enunciate. And it might even have been used in an episode of Father Ted as a euphemistic alternative to f**k.
    "In America the majority raises formidable barriers around the liberty of opinion; within these barriers an author may write what he pleases, but woe to him if he goes beyond them."

A metrosexual is a media-created label for men who take pride in their appearance but don't want anyone (God forbid! ) to think they're gay.

It has nothing to do with crossdressing or being more emotional than the average guy.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you watch or listen to Mike & Mike on espn2 or radio in the mourning
    Mike Greenburg openly admits to being the metrosexual male.
    Nothing wrong with it but I do repair work for a fulltime job and having a manicure done so I can pack grease and other stuff under my nails. Doesn't justify it not mention grease all over other body parts.
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

Banned Read only
    "...One thing I noticed in the responses here, some of the responses seem almost hostile - I wonder why?"

Just joshin', hun. I'd dress designer and pamper my bod if I could. But dirty jobs don't really fit the life style...

Your friend, Mike Rowe

ooops, I mean

deja

The metrosexual thing took on a whole new meaning with the show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and it all went downhill from there...

Having used to work in a field where men were the power players decades ago, it was never unusual for them to tell another man "Sorry, can't do an appointment with you that day, I'm getting a massage and my (looks at hand) nails done.". The presentation of a crisp $5,000 suit, manicured nails with clear polish, weekly spa facials, pedicures and hair product grooming was *the* way to say "I own this company and I'm a gentleman.".

With the advent of a lesser expensive way to reach the masses, the tv show was able to put a name to it that really didn't fit what had been going on for decades.

Metrosexual to me means "I like my appearance so I'm going to look as good as I can for as long as I can."
    Kind of a way of not being a "slob" guy thing.

[SIZE="1"]ducks flying objects[/SIZE]
    The Dream Factory screwed up again. ~kerrianna~

The couple rented the room, and the fish do not like me anymore.
    The fishes name was george and he still liked me because I always give him cherios in the mornings.
    By the way the fish are no longer mad and me and the couple had a great wedding.
    ~brendaisagirl~

Quote Originally Posted by waspookie6 View Post
    The presentation of a crisp $5,000 suit, manicured nails with clear polish, weekly spa facials, pedicures and hair product grooming was *the* way to say "I own this company and I'm a gentleman.".
    Sounds like Donald Trump
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    Sounds like Donald Trump
    Wrong coast
    The Dream Factory screwed up again. ~kerrianna~

The couple rented the room, and the fish do not like me anymore.
    The fishes name was george and he still liked me because I always give him cherios in the mornings.
    By the way the fish are no longer mad and me and the couple had a great wedding.
    ~brendaisagirl~

Quote Originally Posted by waspookie6 View Post
    Wrong coast
    Maybe he's bicoastal.

I'm sure we have successful businessmen/metros on this side of the map too.

Time to tune in what I was after here. Ive been observing the metrosexual ride for a while now, and its always seemed to be the other side of the coin of CDing to me. Keeping to male aspect clothing and expression, but tuning it in previously female ways (manicures, makeup, skin-care, softer fabrics etc). Taking a more feminine procedure to making the best of your male appearance.

Ive noticed myself heading this way a bit is why I started this thread. Since I began my CDing in earnest I find myself taking much more care and interest in my day-to-day appearance. Skin care regimen, manicure with clear polish, shower 2 times or more a day occasionally (previously a strict once a day guy) actually caring how my haircuts look as opposed to just how recent it was.

Two trends with remarkable hidden connectivity in my opinion.

Now I wonder how many self-described Metrosexuals have a skirt in their closet . . . . . .
    "I'm never really alone, I'm a Gemini."

I am who I am when I'm not who I'm supposed to be.

Think for yourself and question everything. There is no failure in being wrong - only in letting others think for you.

Gold Member
    Metrosexuals? Heck no they ain't CD's.
    They are pretty boys.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.