Thread: How important is dressing age appropriate?

Patricia

Smile How important is dressing age appropriate?

Hi,

I posted this on another forum and got a lot of responses. I thought the gals on this froum might have some interesting views too.

Dressing “age appropriate” seems to be one of the major CD rules for success. I have, however, often come across postings from CDs who at least at times like to dress a generation or more below their chronological age. I definitely fit into this category and have no problem doing so. I never dress in accordance with my chronological age. I like the feminine look of the “younger styles,” the short skirts and dresses and the brighter colors. I feel very much alive dressed this way and hence can express the vibrant female aspect within me.
    I feel that the dressing “age appropriate” rule can be violated and can lead to a much fuller expression of our female aspect, which in the end result a major reason that we CD. Dressing in a way which best enables us to express our femininity in turn leads to greater confidence, and greater success. I cannot help but wonder if dressing “age appropriate” is actually a kind of straight jacket, needlessly limiting the satisfaction which CD should be giving.
    One response I got was interesting:

Bottom line, I agree that it is important to dress age appropriate but if you can get away with showing a little more leg or a little more cleavage, why not?

Of course, as with all discusions on dressing, a great deal depends on the physical makeup of the person. This needs to be kept in mind in considering an answer to this question. I'm about 5'7 (156 cm), weight 130 lbs (about 60 kg) and have legs which are shapely, so I have been told at least, so in my case I can easily fit into clothes geared for the younger set.
    The question is, how really important is dressing “age appropriate?”

Wishing you al the height of success,

Patricia
    Patricia, the hard core CD

When I put on my makeup, I look a lot younger than my real age and so I try to dress within a certain age rage, but honestly if you dress and conduct yourself appropriately then it shouldn't matter what you wear.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 02-29-2008 at 03:46 PM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Banned Read only

Old?

First of all I look ten years younger than I am and have been told I could take off another five years when I dress(wish I could do it with weight)........soooo I love to dress younger:....who wants to be old?????.......unless you really have a thing for octogenarians....michl41

well i am 40 now (damn) but i dont dress my age in drab never will ! although i suppose en femme it is slightly different with the varied clothing you can wear - but i think its not so much how old you are but how old you look and your body size ect - some ggs in their mid to late 40s still look good in a denim mini and heels - others dont - i dont think it is much to do with age as we all vary on how we look and what suits us

Gold Member
    I am one of those who dresses probably older than the real age.
    Last Saturday I was at group and my skirt went down like 1/2 down my shins.

I think it is probably better to err on the side of dressing too old than too young.

But yeah, if you want to present well in public, like if you go out en femme, dressing age appropriate is not a bad idea.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I would guess whatever "rules" one goes by would have a lot to do with the "reason" for doing it to begin with.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Mrs Peel, We're needed jennifer41356's Avatar
    when out in public I try and dress like a women in her 30's or so (I am 51)..I will wear knee length skirts and sometimes in the summer a bit shorter casual skirt or shorts, but not like a 15yr old

When I go clubbin, I will sometimes wear real short skirts and funky shoes and tops and may look like a gal in her 20's , but thats to have fun

I dress more with my body type in mind. I do tend to gravitate more toward a more classy look, because it suits my body type more. However, if I had the body, I'd certainly wear more trendy, brighter and youthful clothes. I love bright colors myself, but unfortunately I don't have a good enough shape to pull it off successfully. That's why I tend to wear darker clothes to de-emphasize those area that are less than appealing.
    To all the ladies I have met here farewell for now.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I've said it before, and I'll say it again---

I see some of u old farts dressed like young tarts, and I think, "How rediculous u look!" When you're 60, like me, u should act like a mature adult and try to dress to your age!

Oh, I meant all u OTHER old farts, not me! When I get to be a "mature adult", I'll take that thot into consideration!
    RS
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

So, for instance, How old should I dress?

I think a lot of the old "dressing rules" are getting blurred and stretched, and that goes for everyone,young, old,girls or guys.Working, or playing, theres a lot of freedom of choice.Lots more active seniors these days also, and you see them dressed in a style that says "I Ain't Old Yet"!!--which is great!Nothing wrong with a sexy look, if you do it with class!
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    If you and the people you are with are comfortable with you dressing a generation or two younger than you are, go for it!

I don't pass very well and try to find that middle ground between the girly stuff I like and the clothes I can wear and not attract unnecessary attention. When I've found myself around someone who is dressed so far out of their age group that they attract attention, I tend to wander off to a "safer" crowd. It all depends on what you and your group can handle.

I try to dress in an appropriate way for my age and body type. I'm generally moderate in my fashion choices--nothing flamboyant, nothing too plain. I think that some observers would say that I dress a little younger than my chronological age, but as at least one other person has written, these lines have been blurred, especially in recent decades. About a year ago, I went to a beauty salon to have my make-up done and to get some make-up pointers. The GG who helped me told me that I needed to "spice up" my style a little, and she suggested a couple of accessories to use with what I was already wearing. I tried what she said and I was very pleased with the results. I think that I looked a little younger, and I felt very comfortable with the look.
    I don't dwell on my age in any case. I'm slightly over sixty and in pretty good shape (nothing to really flaunt, but okay). I wouldn't wear a mini-skirt, but it's not because of my age. It's because I haven't got the legs for it.
    But I don't think that I need to present myself as a dowdy frump. That isn't my personality nor my attitude. I feel good about myself and that, to me, means dressing in clothes that fit well, clean, well-pressed or kept, and have some color and style. I believe that that's how I would dress at any age.
    warmly, Linnea

I've decided

not to use my everyday, semi-conservative wig tomorrow.

I'm going to the bank wearing a mini skirt, other unmentionables, and a wig with hair that covers my behind.

I'm done with being afraid. I hope!

Account is closed
    Good fashion sense is always age appropriate

I think it's a matter of time and place as well. At the recent TV bash I went to, there were an awful lot of people who frankly were dressed, well, frumpy. Then I thought about it, and realised that not all TV's have a wonderful supportive wife like me. Buying stuff out of a mail-order catalogue is just not the same as looking and feeling the garment itself. So, I suggest that this might be a good reason that we see TV's dressed "inappropriately". Having said that, The shortest dress I have, comes to just on the knee. I personally wouldn't want to wear any shorter. I like to think that I present an ageless elegance. Yeh, right!
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

[SIZE="3"]At just a few months shy of 60, I dress any way I want!!!

I have no idea what "age appropriate" really means...

Tami
    [/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

In my drab life, I am a NERD, yes a NERD. Age has no bearing on how NERD's dress. So as far as my drab self, dressing age appropriate don't count. LOL
    Now as my fem self, NO I will not try and dress like a 20 year old. If you look at my various pictures you will notice that I don't dress like a old dotty either. After all I am 60 years old. LOL I like to dress somewhat stylish, but not over or under doing it either. I just dress in what looks good on me.

I think that you should dress in a way that is appropriate to the image that you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to pass and be seen as an ordinary GG the dress in a way that is appropriate to you body type and apparent age. There are many GG that violate these "rules" and call more attention to themselves. Not always of the kind you would want. If you are not perfect more then ordinary attention causes people to notice the imperfections and you "pass" less well. If the goal is the sensation of dressing in a particular way rather the being thought of as a GG there are no "rules". Ann

This thread is running concurrently - couldn't they be merged, mods?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]