Thread: Please help a girlfriend

Pixie Hollow's Vixen Katie Ashe's Avatar

Post Please help a girlfriend

I have a serious Q. I don't understand the lingo, if you would, about Wigs. Cap, no cap, extension, weave... I am new to this and can't find what I'm looking for. I am basically bald (#1 on the clippers) year round, sandy blond hair. Do I need a Cap, 3/4 wig, 1/2 wig... Most sites don't explain the difference, and I don't understand what I'm reading. I have a high hair line and need a fem wig. Any help would be great.

Hugs ahead of time, Thanks
    Katie
    DK Productions LLC, Giving back to the Rainbow Community. Need a DJ, Every Song Has a Story, We Make The Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Ashe
    I have a serious Q. I don't understand the lingo, if you would, about Wigs. Cap, no cap, extension, weave... I am new to this and can't find what I'm looking for. I am basically bald (#1 on the clippers) year round, sandy blond hair. Do I need a Cap, 3/4 wig, 1/2 wig... Most sites don't explain the difference, and I don't understand what I'm reading. I have a high hair line and need a fem wig. Any help would be great.

Hugs ahead of time, Thanks
    Katie
    You'll need a cap, A.K.A. full cap. The others show use your own hair (if you had any )

You'll also need a way to keep the wig in place, such as:

A cap liner

a Comfy Grip

Tape

or a Roll on Adhesive
    DonnaT

Tristen Cox
    I bought a cap, but all it does is give the wig a smoother surface to slip off and it won't stay put. My head is also large and curved/contured about right where the hair holds in place. Using anything that applies pressure like these bands I keep seeing just gives me a headache to be honest, so does a tight wig. I always figured sizes would mean they were too small so I either got fully adjustable(one size fits all) or nothing. Anyhow that's just my info, but I think you should be listening to Donna. I will shut up now

Smile Same Problem Here

Actually I had a similar problem as well, as I usually use a #1 or 2 on the clippers (as if there was anything to clip anyways).

I tried using a wig cap (full), but like Tristen, it just gave the wig more to slip off from. At the moment I've been going with cheaper wigs made by Sepia, since they have my color (blue) and fit pretty well, plus don't cut off circulation like alot of other brands do. I had a human hair wig that was quite pricey, and it didn't look nearly as nice, or fit as well, and got hot pretty fast.

If you still have problem with slippage, the buzz cut may actually be a boon. Prior to applying your wig, place a couple of strategically placed strips of double sided, double stick tape (you can find them at many craft stores... looks like a roll of pink/peach tape) right onto your pate, then put the wig on over that, and give it a firm press over the tape points. Later, after you remove the wig or tape, you can clean off the gunk with Goo Gone, nail polish remover (I know it's bad for you, but it works), or some other goober removing cleaner.

The reason I use a cap LINER is that I use tape to arch my eyebrows. The tape adheres to the liner.

Note that the edge of the wig fits on the outside of the comfy grip to prevent the wig slippage. I made my own grip, however, out of the new ace 1" elastic bandage that is self gripping.

I noticed on He's a Lady that they used clips to fasten the wigs to the hair.

I found some clips on the net at http://www.headcovers.com/moreinfo.php?id=712 but I've never tried them.
    DonnaT

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT
    The reason I use a cap LINER is that I use tape to arch my eyebrows. The tape adheres to the liner.
    Donna, I just tried doing that very same thing, and all that happened was that the liner got pulled back down toward the eyes. I guess I need more tape.

~Sigrid
    Last edited by Sigrid; 04-29-2005 at 08:15 AM.

I'll take the pink one.
    "Just be honest, be faithful and have fun" ~ my wife

Pixie Hollow's Vixen Katie Ashe's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice, I'm always learning, and you ladies make it easier
    I'll look into full caps, have a desire for synth hair over real for maint reasons. I could grow my hair out again, when it gets about 3/4 inch long I usaully cut it. I have had long hair before, 4 inches is the longest, but curls and looks llike crap. I'll stop now... but thank you all for the advice, Really!

Lots of Hugs, Katie
    DK Productions LLC, Giving back to the Rainbow Community. Need a DJ, Every Song Has a Story, We Make The Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Sigrid
    Donna, I just tried doing that very same thing, and all that happened was that the liner got pulled back down toward the eyes. I guess I need more tape.

~Sigrid
    Which is why I use the home made "comphy grip"

The other morning my wife came home from work and kept staring at my face. "What?" I asked.

Knowing I had to go to work later, she wondered why I had makeup on.

I told her I didn't. She said, "Well somethings different," and kept staring. I then explained the tape job.

She'd seen it before and accused me of thinning my eyebrows, but at that time I was wearing makeup and had applied a powder to the brows to give them the right tapered look.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 04-29-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    DonnaT