Thread: Not allowed to wear pantyhose to work anymore.

Thumbs down Not allowed to wear pantyhose to work anymore.

On the DOOR to the women's locker room at work, (I work for a bus company in Dayton, Ohio.), there was a memo reminding women of a rule I never heard of before until now. Pantyhose is not to be worn while on duty. It did also list other items such as non-uniformed apparel gloves, coats, pants, no skirts, etc. and all the way down at the bottom was pantyhose. I can understand skirts; don't want a pretty woman alone in west side Dayton at 2am all dressed up. I asked my supervisor about the no pantyhose rule, and he laughed and said why does it concern me. I told him the truth in a funny/ sarcastic way so he wouldn't necessarily know what I do. The powers that be say that wearing pantyhose poses a danger for women with all the sick jerks out there. Well, I can appreciate their concern, and I can't say much being a guy, but I don't think passengers would look at the 1/4 inch of space between a womans bottom of the pants and her shoe line. Easy for me to say right? Well I wear pantyhose for my actual 'socks' Nobody ever noticed in the last three years. I love wearing pantyhose during winter time because I have to walk a mile to downtown to take over the bus I'm going to be driving. During cold weather it helps alot to have some extra legging. Our busses don't have heat for the driver, (we do have new busses on order that do) just a window defroster so it gets extremely cold with the door being opened constantly and driving head on into a -5 wind chill. Now that spring is here we will be allowed to wear shorts soon, so I won't be wearing hose then, but I will continue to 'risk' wearing pantyhose until they say shorts is okay. I would like to see them punish me for wearing them. They do have the right to tell me what to wear i.e. uniform on the outside, but they can't dictate what I wear underneath my clothes. The only concern that I have is that if I get shot, stabbed, injured, etc the paramedics and my supervisor would be a little surprised. I don't want to just 'out' myself at work, but if it happens I can live with it. I wish I worked in an office where, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

regards,
    Amber

pp. I wrote this on 3 hours of sleep, I apologize if it is a little jumpy, and I guess life can't be too bad right now if pantyhose is the only concern I have.
    Last edited by AmberDay; 03-14-2008 at 02:07 AM.
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

I live in greenville I know how u fill that rule sucks but u have to work. P.M. me when you can

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you told your super!

I love doing that sort of thing!

You say something outrageous, and watch the beans rattle behind the eyes, as they come up with the only answer they are comfortable with. !!
    I went to the OP shop ( salvos ) and got quite a few new bits .... I have really large hands, and I had my long nails painted irridiscent pink! At least one of the Sa's did a double take .. in spite of the fact that they know I dress!

Regards

Man in a dress
    This rule sounds stupid. I'm sure that if the staff got together they could fight it.

If they are looking towards H+S issues, then surely if a lone female is at that much danger just because she's wearing PHs then surely she shouldn't be alone in the first place.

Once upon a time, here in the UK all busses had 2 members of staff on board. One was the driver and the other was the conductor. This helped in keeping trouble off the busses.
    These days, attacks on passengers, and staff on busses are common, as the driver is stuck at the front of the bus being kept busy driving, so muggers can go about their evil ways without being disturbed... if there was a second member of staff on board things might be different.
    It's all about saving money at the end of the day

I can understand rules about uniform, and if skirts were worn then I'd say that PHs would be included in uniform as colour etc matters, but as trousers are worn then PHs should be free for the wearer to decide.

DJ
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls.
    It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.

You're probably taking less of a risk than the GGs there since very few will think to check your ankles.

Hugs,

Melissa
    What's the point of instruments, words are a sawed off shotgun-Radiohead

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/melissa.c.keiper

Amber - With the concern that even shoes like "Crocs" may have a tendency to be static electric, I could see that pantyhose could fall into the same category. However, if one is not working around highly sensitive electronic instuments such as in hospitals etc. , I can't see why an employer would be so invasive. I bet that a good human resourses manager would see this dictate as a violation of one's human rights. Maybe the question is worth asking!

This is totally stupid. Here in the UK most women wear tights as we call pantihose and no doubt some male CDs do too under their drab. Nobody gives it a second thought. I can only imagine pantihose being banned if one worked in an environment such as Electronics where static was a big problem, then the employer would have to supply the workers with non-static clothing.
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

If you really feel like pushing the issue, have your doctor write a prescription for you to wear support hose PRN (which means "as required"). Make sure there isn't any description of how much support is required. Then any kind of pantyhose with "support" on the label should qualify. Working in a job like a bus driver means you don't get to move around a lot, so it ought to be easy to convince the doctor to do it. Can we say "deep vein thrombosis," the ailment afflicting at least some long-haul airline passengers?
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar
    Believe it or not, I actually can understand this rule a bit. Certain things are... triggers for perverts unfortunately. Seeing some types of clothing or items on a body will make some people instantly think the woman is "do-able". Some serial rapists often target women in a "man's job" and anything considered "provocative" will only encourage them further. A lot of companies that deal with the public where the employees are not in a controlled environment enforce strict dressing codes for their safety.

Or it could be your boss wants all they pantyhose for himself. LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

If it said only pantyhose was not allowed, then is a garter belt and stockings allowed?

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnDallas View Post
    If it said only pantyhose was not allowed, then is a garter belt and stockings allowed?
    In addition to that, how about thigh highs and leggings. I guess you can wear those, including tights, since they're name isn't "Pantyhose".
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

Amber, I'm assuming you are a driver and most likely, a union member. I'm a former member of the ATU and my union reps loved nothing better than to challenge stupid rules. I believe you're right that the bus company can tell you what to wear as uniforms or outer clothes but pantyhose fall under a whole different catagory and you may have a legitemate grievance. However such a grievance coming from you may be questioned. Maybe it would be to your advantage to get some female drivers involved and see if they are willing to file a class action grievance.

Here is another idea. you said that the notice stated that no pantyhose could be worn, but what about stockings and a garter belt? I know it's a stretch, but it's also a technicality that might induce management to review some of their rediculous rules. Anyway that's my I hope you can continue to wear your pantyhose without anyone knowing, especially in the cold weather. Luv and Jill
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    if someone is gona attac you then it dont matter what your wearing your gona get attacd,,,the attacr will just use your slacks or the sleeves of you shirt to strangle you with after they have beaten you till your passed out...

just like if someone wants your car it dont matter what you do to prevent it they will get your car even if you park it with no tires on it they will find a way...

That certainly takes the cake! But why doesn't it surprise me?

Gold Member
    I don't think any kind of nylon leggings would be allowed.
    CDinDayton, I don't imagine anyone is going to be checking under your pantlegs. Besides, the boss asked why it concerned you so obviously he didn't know before, and I somehow doubt he would even want to see a male wearing hose so you are probably safe.

You know tho, this brings up something interesting - are there really that many men who have a thing for pantyhose? So many that companies have to accomidate dress codes for it?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Well, there have been television shows which depict women being tied up and strangled with their own hose.

I reckon that could have led to the no pantyhose rule.
    DonnaT

my nic says it all obsessedwithpantyhose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaT View Post
    Well, there have been television shows which depict women being tied up and strangled with their own hose.

I reckon that could have led to the no pantyhose rule.

Thank you Donna,,THAT is the point of the "no pantyhose" rule.........
    but like i also said,,if they want to harm you they will use something else your wearing to strangle you with,,such as your bra straps....

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    The notice was posted for the women to see. Unfortunately you admitted seeing it. What if you haddn't? Could you say you didn't know? How about you thought it only was for women to not wear them? It depends how the rules are written. You might want to check.

Gen

Your Bus Company. That I ever heard of. That has these Rules. In which is wrong. As they do not have the right. To told anyone. What Underwear. They can or can not wear.

It seems that no one had asked this.

1. What is wrong wearing Panyhose at your job site?

2. Is your Manage a Man?
    3. Is he going to check each Females? [To see if they are wearing Pantyhose or not.]

If the Females can not wear Pants.
    4. What are they to wear?

Banned Read only
    Just wear socks over them.

It sounds really weird and is worth asking about, or at least having one of the female drivers ask.

If it's something about what gets a perv going, then what happens when you wear shorts?