Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article on Pregnant Trans Male / pregnant man

Lingering Member

Article on Pregnant Trans Male / pregnant man

Platinum Member
    Thanks for this Kehleyr...now thats crossing the gender boundaries to the fullest, good on him!!

wow.. that was a pretty interesting article..... it is sad that they got that kind of treatment from the doctor.. :-(
    Proud Mistress to Michelle-NC

Its sad that some people still feel that its always their business on what someone does with themselves when its not really their business in the first place. And a doctor! Very bad!
    SHUT UP AT LEAST THE BUNNIES ARE ON FIRE!!!

now thats true love . to come off " T " have a baby then go back on it .. the child will be truly blessed and loved wow thats wonderful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks, Kehleyr, this is a thought provoking article. My thoughts are, why are people so dang cruel to things that are different, why can't we just all love and get along!!

Dang doctor's, probably jealous, they are!! You would think they would be happy for people to be finding a way to be happy, geez!!
    [SIZE=3] KRAZYKAT [/SIZE]

Cuddling with my spouse of 18 yrs., GypsyKaren makes me Happy!!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    now thats true love . to come off " T " have a baby then go back on it .. the child will be truly blessed and loved wow thats wonderful
    That was my absolute first thought, that it was such a noble selfless thing for the guy to do, to come off T and put his transition on hold to help give his partner the child she craves but can't have

Lingering Member
    It is amazingly selfless. I know butch women that can't even bear to bare a child - sometimes, butch/femme couples turn to adoption if the femme partner can't conceive. I can't imagine a trans male making this sacrifice.

I wasn't even able to directly perform the relatively quick and easy male role in conceiving a child (that's what "turkey basters" are for ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kehleyr View Post
    It is amazingly selfless.
    Yup, I agree. I know I couldn't do it. It was different when I had denied my true self and tried to live the life everyone expected me to live - not that that's the reason I did have a child, I really wanted one. But it's another thing at this stage - I know I couldn't interrupt my transition now and give up the injections that keep me sane to face the roller coaster ride that female and especially pregnancy hormones do to me.

And this is yet another example of how even educated and professional people are not necessarily well-informed about us and bring their own biases to their work.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lingering Member
    I've known trans women that have tried to interrupt hormones long enough to be able to bank sperm, and not all of them have succeeded - it's really hard to give up hormones that long (it can potentially take 6 months, or more, for a trans woman to become fertile again).

I delayed starting HRT for enough months to allow me to store sperm cryogenically, but even when I was pre-HRT we had to use mechanical assistance (as alluded to above) to try to conceive. We actually did conceive once that way, but we miscarried. We did eventually successfully have a child, but we had to use a fertility clinic performing IUI on my partner to conceive. Of course, I was post-op by the time we conceived, so I no longer had much of an option about playing a more active role.

Anyway, I know y'all aren't interested in so much detail about me. I just wanted to underscore how amazing a gesture it seems to me.

I just hope that they are successful. Can you imagine going through this, and then encountering some problem like preeclampsia and losing the baby? As it is, we cried for weeks when we had a miscarriage.

I can't believe what his own brother said about him. And the doctor too...

He's incredibly brave to go through this.
    Story of my life –>

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Yeah, that's really amazing of him.
    I would love to have kids, but I really don't think I could go through with pregnancy, especially if I'd been on T first. It would mess with my head so much.

I hope all goes well and that they found a good doctor so they can have good prenatal care.
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

That's amazing. I know there's no way I could do that, ever. I'd have to sit down and figure out whether being pregnant and bearing a child would cause me more psychological harm than an abortion (if I were raped or got pregnant accidentally somehow) - it'd be close.

Some doctors... I'll make a promise right now: I will never act like that to anyone. And if I do, you have my permission to come find me and make me see sense.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Quote Originally Posted by hi24home View Post
    That's amazing. I know there's no way I could do that, ever. I'd have to sit down and figure out whether being pregnant and bearing a child would cause me more psychological harm than an abortion (if I were raped or got pregnant accidentally somehow) - it'd be close.
    My thoughts exactly... one of the biggest fears I have is of being pregnant, even as far back as ten years old. I'm hoping to get a hysterectomy soon, because I just can't even begin to think about how horrible that choice would be (among other things).

As to the doctors... not much else to say about that, except that it's just one more example of how people don't understand and are unwilling to help transpeople.

I think that doctor and hospital ought to be sued they should not turn a person away because he is trans and pregnant,Taht is just unethical. I hope they have a beautiful child because I know in my heart that there is a lot of love for this child and the child will be taken very good care of .

I read an encapsulated 'mainstream' media account of that Advocate interview that Thomas did, and that in itself reminded me of how ignorant and prejuidiced society is to us. They actually used the term, "he decided he was a transgendered male" and primarily sensationalized the whole "Man is pregant!" concept of it.

Thomas is indeed very courageous, for not only agreeing to alter his own path to have the child (which makes him a great father already! ) but also for agreeing to be visible. You KNOW he's going to get a lot of finger pointing and negative attention for this.

I hope this pregnancy goes well for both of them and that people allow them and their child to live private, supported lives.

"I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

I wish them all the luck in the world.Hope to hear more about this and how they are doing

Lord of the Toesocks Fire Falcon's Avatar
    Now only is it selfless, but incredibly brave.

I hope the whole family stays safe... You all know how people can get about these sort of things.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. :/ People are always going "Lol! Let a man see what it's like to be pregnant!" ... then when one is, they freak out. Hypocrites.

The guy's gonna be on Opera now. I saw a preview for it.
    -Stephan B.

any idea when he's gonna be on Opera? I dont really watch the show but that sounds like an episode i'd like to see

Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Lord of the Toesocks Fire Falcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ftm22 View Post
    any idea when he's gonna be on Opera? I dont really watch the show but that sounds like an episode i'd like to see
    Tomorrow (Thursday) I believe.

*sigh* My family was making all these really disgusted remarks when they saw the previews. As much as I'd like to see it, I don't think I can with my parents being around and everything. It would just hurt too much.

EDIT: Awesome, I can just read about it.
    -Stephan B.

I read the article and saw several news stories about the pregnancy. I was touched by this young man's courage. Not only in putting his own transition on hold but in coming out in the public eye with the pregnancy despite the knowledge that this old world can be a rather cold and cruel place. Couple that with the depth of love he has for his wife and little girl and I think we can lay to rest the old song and dance that if a man had to carry a child....

But the media's treatment of the story leaves a lot to be desired. I wish them the best and a happy safe future.

I really wish he hadn't gone to the media with his story, honestly. I'm not sure why he felt the need to do that. Once the media has found you, they don't let go - and a baby doesn't need media attention.