View Poll Results: What is the actual percentage of MTF crossdressers in the population ?

Voters
255. You may not vote on this poll
  • more than 15%

42 16.47%
  • 10 to 15 %

38 14.90%
  • 5 to 10%

70 27.45%
  • 1 to 5 %

55 21.57%
  • 1 per thousand to 1 %

11 4.31%
  • less than 1 per thousand

1 0.39%
  • I don't have the least idea but would know ...

32 12.55%
  • go to the hell with your stupid test !

6 2.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many crossdressers ?

How many crossdressers ?

Hi ladies,

There exist some studies about the percentage of MTF crossdressers in the whole population. Such studies are controversial and we may believe or not their results.

What I test here is the general feeling you may have about the actual percentage of MTF crossdressers in your country. I would wish to know your own rough estimation of this percentage.

For estimating, let's consider this definition :
    a person will be assumed to be a MTF crossdresser, if he/she considers herself as such and/or has willingly crossdressed as a woman at least 2 times in the last 12 months.
    Transsexuals are to be included in this category.
    Men in a dress too, provided they wore a woman's dress or skirt at least 2 times in the last 12 months.
    Just wearing a Kilt does not count !

Love and huge kisses to all respondents ...
    and hugs to the others.

Nadia

I have seen the report that it is 5% of the population, however, I feel that number is way too low...I just think for the report, that most men aren't admitting it.
    [SIZE="3"]Michelle Anise[/SIZE]

Sissy Maid of MsJanGG

www.flickr.com/jansplaytoy

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle-NC View Post
    I have seen the report that it is 5% of the population, however, I feel that number is way too low...I just think for the report, that most men aren't admitting it.
    Ok for your point.
    Another point is the DEFINITION used in the corresponding report.
    Often reports consider as a MTF crossdresser : "one person who has crossdressed at least one time in his/her life".

I prefer narrow the definition to people who go on crossdressing at the moment, not including people who just tried it a few times in the past.

Love

Nadia

4.32%

Hey -- why not?
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Impossible to know really, but probably far less than the 3-5% of the gay male population.Therefore I guess less than 1%, including the vast majority who are in the closet.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake

More than are willing to admit it.

Whatever the survey numbers may be, I would venture a guess that there are roughly double that. Regardless of the progress the Gay, Lesbian and Transexual community have made, I believe Crossdressing is still a "fringe" behavior for most of society. That makes it difficult for many CD's to admit it to themselves, let alone answer honestly in a survey.
    I wonder how many retailers are making a good business targeting the crossdress patron. Is there a National Crossdresser Retail Association anywhere with a room full of computers who could answer that for us ;-) ?

I remember watching a show on Discovery about crossdressing. they said something like 10-15% of the population crossdresses one way or another. I am trying to find that show somewhere.
    It's a Jeep thing, you would not understand!!

I have no idea how many crossdressers there are. Apart from here, a few other forums and a few people i,ve told no one knows i dress.
    It,s very unlikely i,d admit to it in a public survey either if i was asked in the street while in drab....I doubt many would, so it,s unlikely we,ll ever really know what percentage for sure!!

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    My totally honest opinion (I have no supporting data) is that there's way, way more out there than you might think there are, but, the problem is most don't do anything about nurturing it, like we do. I'm saying it's an untapped market where the majority are in the closet to themselves and everyone else in the world.

I heard somewhere once that over 50% of the male population had at one time or another worn (just tried on) articles of women's clothes. Ok, that doesn't make them a crossdresser (not what I'd call a CD anyway). What's the true figure? ... who knows? ... I voted 5% to 10%
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 03-30-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

This poll does rather strike me a bit pointless...

You're asking for opinions of something nobody can know?

But perhaps worth me mentioning this post again, which no one seemed to notice?
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

If the question is how many CD in public, it's pretty low. I wouldn't be surprise if it's less than 1%. On the other side of the spectrum, those "guys" who occasionally wear their SO's panties, I suspect it's pretty high, maybe 20 or 30%. But then again, I'm not sure that this is really crossdressing. I really believe at least 5% or 10% of the male poputions CD's from time to time, even if it's wear a nitie, pantyhose, or a dress occasionally!

Banned Read only
    "Is there a National Crossdresser Retail Association anywhere...?"

This may have been said tongue in cheek ,but I've asked a related question in an old thread. And it my be a way to close in on a number. Even if not, it would be helpful and useful to us all.

Research cannot be done on us directly because so many are hiding, agreed. But could we not have a survey, a real professionally developed poll, prepared about our issues that can be asked of all the major retailers, if they have any idea of the number of men that buy women's essentials in their establishments? Include all chains that are always mentioned here as popular: WallieWorld, K-diddle, Vicky's Secret, Dress Barn, Kohl's, etc.
    Include local BBBs as moderators or info gatherers...

The point being, that it would sensitize the store management to their hidden customer base and maybe end up providing store wide policy that could improve our lot on the ground, as in defined store policies on the treatment of trans-customers. I'm sure it's happening outlet by outlet, but nationwide policies would end up teaching and sensitizing all their employees and reduce the stress that so many find in shopping. Similar in nature to the sensitivity training that all enforcement agencies (even in Podunk) are getting these days.

None of our organizations are big enough or rich enough to do such a nationwide exercise, but how about the national LGBT orgs that say they speak for us, but in truth, seem to represent us very little? They owe us, I'm thinking. Many here have invested money and time in their efforts and we're still hiding! And if our opinions on numbers are anywhere near correct, we outnumber them by a large margin.

A phone call from a recognized national LGBT org leader to the COO of a major chain store concerning trans issues would probably get a hearing and some action, if the store cared about offending it's already largely known gay clientele. Face to face, even better.

I think this is actually possible with the right org behind it and the funding.

Okay, who here has the connections and free time to start this ball rolling?

positively political,

deja
    Last edited by deja true; 03-30-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    This poll does rather strike me a bit pointless...

You're asking for opinions of something nobody can know?
    Your way of thinking is respectable.

Sometimes we have to deal with uncertainty. There are different modes for reacting. One way is to say : you can do nothing.

Let's take an example. It's extremely difficult to evaluate the level of corruption in the society, beacause nobody knows for sure.

Nevertheless "Transparency International" the leading organization for fighting against corruption has found valuable methods to make thoughtful contributions to our knowledge of its spreadth in the various countries of the world.
    See the Annual Global Corruption Reports at :http://www.transparency.org

All that knowledge are based essentially on rough estimations made by thousands people, carefully selected.
    The results are astounding.

Love

Nadia

there are time i log in here only to see 100 members and 300 guest . so what does that say ..

just for the record IMHO--- there is on such thing as an admirer they are t-girls in training ..Think about it..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well if this house is an example of the rest of the world I would say abot 50%

Myself and one son likes to dress in womens clothes at least. I haven't found out about the other 2 males in this house.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    just for the record IMHO--- there is on such thing as an admirer they are t-girls in training ..Think about it..
    Damn!! Thats where i went wrong...I never bothered with training

LOL i would say to the girls i am just an admire .. Right >>>> just look at me now .. and what do you know ... they were right
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I doubt that we will ever know for several reasons.
    What is a crossdresser? A man who tried on his mother's dress at the age of four? A man who jokingly tried on his wife's bra? A man who puts on a pair of panties and then masturbates? A man who wishes he could wear the lingerie he sees in the Victorias Secret catalog?
    How many crossdressers will be honest in a survey? There are so many of us who hide their crossdressing from their wives and family that one will question how much they will admit in a survey.
    Who is going to take an accurate survey? There is little academic or scientific interest in transgender behavior. It would be difficult to fund a comprehensive study.

If anyone is interested I am a crossdresser.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    there are times i log in here only to see 100 members and 300 guest . so what does that say ..
    EXACTLY! MJ .... as I write this Sunday lunchtime @ 1.19pm PST there are 24 members and 95!! guests on the main board! ... that's a lot of people doing a lot of "lurking" and reading. Why do they do it?.... because they're interested in the subject matter for one reason or another. Like everyone has been saying, it's a bigger thing than you might think for many different reasons.
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 03-30-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    EXACTLY! MJ .... as I write this Sunday lunchtime @ 1.19pm PST there are 24 members and 95!! guests on the main board! ... that's a lot of people doing a lot of "lurking" and reading. Why do they do it?....

My experience is it's essentially the same thing for any forum and for any subject. You will find more lurkers and readers than contributors.
    For our CD forum I believe it's not any different.

Moreover some of us appears as guests (if they don't identify).

Love

Nadia

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    It really depends on how you define it. Remember, we are way, way too male-centric in thinking. If you include women who dress in men's clothes, the percent is going to be high. Although most of those women do not think of it as "different". If you include only people who have done it in the last year vs. in their life time ? Many ways to judge that number.

I have heard 1 in 10 but it really depends on the definition. I suspect people who actually crossdress on a regular basis would be about 1 in a thousand. More will think about it, more will wish they could do it. It would be interesting to see the figure if society was more tolerant and it wasn't so hard.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

No one can know how many crossdressers there are because no one can adequately define what makes somebody a crossdresser. Is it one article of the opposite sexes clothing once in a lifetime? If not then how many articles and how often? Certainly motivation has to be a factor or we would have to include actors and such.

Rather than ask people to admit to some label, it might be better to ask them how much and how often they wear clothing they consider to be for the opposite sex. Ask them why they did it. Then you can make up your own arbitrary groupings and labels.

As an example of what I'm trying to say, imagine conducting a poll to find out how many alcoholics their are. I've been in AA for 30 years and I've never heard an airtight comprehensive definition of what makes one an alcoholic. All you would find out is how many people self identify as alcoholics. A far more informative poll would ask how much and how often the subjects drink. Even that would be influenced by the fact that heavy drinkers grossly underestimate their consumption. You can then divide up the respondents in to groupings and apply whatever labels you desire to them if that's how you get your jollys. But it is still doubtful that you would have arrived at TRUTH.

I have to agree there are more then we think that have at least thought about it and a big part of them have tried something on. But, I really feel 5-10 % is a good number for those who dress at least 2 a year.

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

This reminds me of another thread.

As I recall, the answers here, r remarkably similar to that one.

I think that thread was something like, " How many CDs can fit on the tip of a pin?"

Best answer, if I remember correctly was, " Ouch". Sounds like a good answer here, too!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!