Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross dressing theories

All abit too technical 4 me girls.Do it and love it.End of story.XXX
    Claire en femme,smart,casual and sexy!

Me, Myself & Rachael Rachaelb64's Avatar
    Mmmm............ very deep question & if i had an answer I'd be very rich right now.

I dress cus I like dessing. I've given up on the reasons way
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life is to short so enjoy it to the full

:

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Today is a good day to Dress!

My sister got up before me and got my clothes.

Aspiring Member
    I think cd'ing is natural for all men. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really a mans man so to speak.

The theory: Just look to the tribes in south american, the pacific islands and other remote isolated groups. Notice anything? I do. It's the guys who wear the colorful face paint, feathers, plants and flowers. What I call "blam" Natures of way of saying, "look at me!" Even most of the animal kingdom is that way. Perhaps guys that cd are the portion that really is doing what comes naturally.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

Junior Member ErikaLadyoftheDesert's Avatar
    I also do not fit with the dominate/Submissive or OCD theory.

I believe there is some genetic coding at birth.
    For me personally, it is not just the clothes, but I exhibit feminine mannerisms as well.

Most importantly though... when I CD it simply "Just feels right."

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Part of my issues has been related to the loss of my sister. I think that being born in the wrong body (in essence) had a lot to do with it too. We both agreed that we had somehow gotten switched out.

I wish she were still around (physically) so that I could share with her.

Zara

Read today where they belive that nutrition, may determine the sex of the baby. What else could there be that causes gender variant children ?

Quote Originally Posted by xxlolitaxx View Post
    There are many theories on why people cross dress. What are some theories that you believe may be possible for causing you to cross dress or do you have your own you wish to share?
    Just as background, I'm comming from the field of disabilities where identifying causes is always coming up as a difficult task... So bear with me for being a bit technical...

In order to understand where some condition comes from, there is a need to identify as precisely as possible a "Phenotype", that is grouping organisms according to any observed quality, such as its morphology, development, or behavior.

Unless there is an homogeneous phenotype, it is difficult to identify causes or reasons for its existance and evolution. (In medical terms one speaks of Etiology to refer to the study of why things occur, or even the reasons behind the way that things act - Wikipedia)

Now back to crossdressing. Crossdressing takes many morphological behavioral and developmental forms. Trying to find a common cause for all the crossdressers is not realistic. For that it would be necessary to define more homogeneous subgroups (phenotype) from which such an researsch would make more sense...

Eugenie

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar

What if its "natural order"?

Almost all other species of animals on the planet have the males more colorful, more plumage, more predominant in appearance. Why would humans be any different?

Throughout history, it has been just as common for men to primp and preen over their appearance as it was women. Take a quick look at male fashion over the centuries and you'll see them with endless outfits, looks and styles.

As a matter of fact, most societies throughout history have had some form of "crossdressing" one way or another.

It wasn't until the United States was colonized and we started our trek west that men's clothing became more "dower" and less flamboyant due to the new role of the cowboy. Still, we can find several notes of "plumage" in aristocrats well after that.

Could it just be that crossdressers are more prone to expressing themselves through this form of preening? I mean, do not the majority of you crossdress to feel beautiful? Perhaps its more of your 'true nature' seeping through than previously thought. That would explain how so many of you feel you were born this way as oppose to choosing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicDaughter View Post
    Almost all other species of animals on the planet have the males more colorful, more plumage, more predominant in appearance. Why would humans be any different?
    All species include genetic 'mosaics' which contain mixtures of genes, i.e. different genetic material in different parts of the body. And certainly in the case of birds, some of these exhibit mixtures of male and female plumage at the same time..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

I suspect a good deal of it has to do with assuming the role of a woman that can be controlled 100 percent of the time (because the "woman" is actually you). Also, it is not without evidence that human brains are not gender-specific. Sexual organs and hormones mix with the complex circuitry of the brain and produce so many unique individuals that the mere notion of "normal" is stupid.
    Alex Forbes
    Faux Femme
    Flickr Page

I do not mean to make light of this question, but I think the answer is very clear. There is a devine plan. I am a part of that plan as are all of my sisters and brothers. I am not to know the reason for this plan until the end comes. Until then, I am one of God's perfect creatures and I am exactly as He intended I should be. I am glad that He chose me to have this special gift. I think we need to think less about why, and think more about what a wonderful gift this is. Imagine a worlld where every man valued every woman. I try to value all of them/us.

Mrs Peel, We're needed jennifer41356's Avatar
    cant say I agree with either of those theories...I dont try and analyze why I am like this, I am glad I am and I accept it and I am enjoying it to the fullest, for life is too short and I already missed the first 30 or so years of my life, and I aint going to miss anymore

Ladies,

I believe the hardest part about being a cross dresser is believing you are one. The rest is kind of easy. I'm happy with this and feel a little more complete. This was awhile in the coming. I'm happy with myself being a cross dresser.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keep the theories and views coming! There are some very good ones I can def agree with. It is more than certain there are more than one reason why people cross dress and some people may have more than one reason. Keep them coming! Also I understand a lot of you have the urge to defend that you are happy or talking about accepting it and that is ok and it is great you are happy however this thread is not looking for why people cross dress and to stop it. It is just to discuss theories from a philosophical view. Keep them coming I'd love to hear what people think!

Senior Junior Member Lisa Renee's Avatar
    I think its because in past lives we were women and its still a part of our make up ;"
    Lisa Renee

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicDaughter View Post

Could it just be that crossdressers are more prone to expressing themselves through this form of preening? I mean, do not the majority of you crossdress to feel beautiful? Perhaps its more of your 'true nature' seeping through than previously thought. That would explain how so many of you feel you were born this way as oppose to choosing.
    Absolutely. I always end up head butting walls when I see these types of threads because people are seeing this issue the wrong way around.

There are no such things as feminine or masculine behavior, these definitions are artificially created by human society. All behaviors are found in both genders, they are human behavior. It is totally natural for all men to be attracted to the behaviors that are found within the CD community. The only difference between CDs and other men is that we have rebelled against the conditioning that states that we are forbidden to access these behaviors, that these somehow demean us as men.

CDs are simply men who have said NO! I do like this behavior, it is part of my personality, why should I deny this to myself?
    Other men have either never considered the issue or are too afraid to because the gender conditioning has been so well established and cemented in place.

Other men will not consider this because it attacks the very essence of what they have been taught is the essence of what a man is. Many women face the same problem when they are asked to accept a crossdressing SO, they struggle to overcome the entrenched conditioning which defines how a man should behave according to society's values. In contrast, because of the feminist movement, women can now exhibit behaviors traditionally considered masculine without worrying about social condemnation.

You don't see women dreaming up fanciful theories of genetics and hormones or things that go wrong in the womb to explain why they want to wear jeans or learn a martial art or climb a mountain.

Phyc 270,

Going back to community college days 1982. Taking a CJ course tons of phyc courses and 270 Deviance and Social Disorganization, actually a fun course to take. Yes, we are in there and what it said at that time was that a cross dresser was just starting up a road and when he reached the fork in the road a decision had to made either a drag queen or a transsexual. That was it At that time there was so little data out about cross dressing nothing in the college library except 4 small very old pamplets. How times have changed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Satrana View Post
    All behaviors are found in both genders, they are human behavior. It is totally natural for all men to be attracted to the behaviors that are found within the CD community. The only difference between CDs and other men is that we have rebelled against the conditioning that states that we are forbidden to access these behaviors, that these somehow demean us as men.

CDs are simply men who have said NO! I do like this behavior, it is part of my personality, why should I deny this to myself?
    I share your opinion for most of it.

I would add that not everybody are expected to actually "like this behaviour". Hence those who don't haven't to "deny this to themselves", so they "haven't to say NO", as CDs did.

Hence, it remains to be explained why some humans do like it whereas some others don't .

Hence this thread seems about correctly stated, I mean.
    It is not necessarily as what you said : "because people are seeing this issue the wrong way around".

So you might be the one to be wrong.

Kisses

Nadia

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noname View Post
    I think cd'ing is natural for all men. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really a mans man so to speak.

The theory: Just look to the tribes in south american, the pacific islands and other remote isolated groups. Notice anything? I do. It's the guys who wear the colorful face paint, feathers, plants and flowers. What I call "blam" Natures of way of saying, "look at me!" Even most of the animal kingdom is that way. Perhaps guys that cd are the portion that really is doing what comes naturally.
    As a HETROSEXUAL male, I would think that this could be the case. We ARE attracted to the female form and to actually HAVE 'female" physical aspects via CDing may be an attractive prospect. Some could say it could be "the ultimate penetration"----In the general sense there could be TWO kinds of CDs---Those of us who DO and those of us who DONT--Social and personal concerns about status and "manhood" may be so strong in "non CD" men to keep them from doing it.

Just Happy To Be Here Roberta Rain's Avatar
    I submitted a thread a while back asking what the first thing people wore was and where they got it. Part of what I was wondering when I posted it was exactly this issue. Similar threads have been posted in the past, and I reviewed them as well. I noticed a few things from the results. Almost everyone started at a very young age. In many cases, the age was way, way before puberty. Secondly, nearly everyone sought out the garments or behavioural accoutrements themselves. Very few were forced, asked, or encouraged to cross dress. Thirdly, it seemed like many accelerated very slowly over time, fighting it all the way, and had a significant commitment to or acceptance of their alternative gender identity only well in to adulthood, often in their 30s to 50s. I don't know what this means, but I thought it was interesting and seemed to suggest that the behaviour/identity is possibly inherent in the individual, and is, at the least, very, very deeply seated at the core of identity.

I, personally, know that as I approached puberty, from the age of about 4 to 11, I kept wondering, in the back of my mind, when I was going to turn in to a girl like I was supposed to. The idea and thoughts only seem strange in retrospect.

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    All species include genetic 'mosaics' which contain mixtures of genes, i.e. different genetic material in different parts of the body. And certainly in the case of birds, some of these exhibit mixtures of male and female plumage at the same time..
    So are you saying my Kayla is an exotic bird? I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrana View Post
    ...There are no such things as feminine or masculine behavior, these definitions are artificially created by human society... Other men will not consider this because it attacks the very essence of what they have been taught is the essence of what a man is... In contrast, because of the feminist movement, women can now exhibit behaviors traditionally considered masculine without worrying about social condemnation.
    I use to say, one of the saddest things that ever happened to the human race was that is seems to have lost its "natural instincts". People rely far too much on what is printed, published, spoken, viewed and produced by the media. All too often mankind allows others to influence their perception of who they are as an individual.

Change has only been brought about by those who didn't follow the "norm". Those who follow their instincts and do as they deem themselves created to do.

That is why I happen to love crossdressers. It takes an incredibly strong individual to overcome what society considers any gender's "role" and to be their true selves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

I don,t care why i do it anymore i just know it feels really good.

If I may paraphrase Professor Irwin Corey, why do I crossdress? This is really two separate and distinct questions; first, why? who knows why, womankind has been trying to answer that for centuries. Second, Do I crossdress? Yes, and I love every minute of it.

V.S. Ramachandran has been doing various very useful studies recently - he's interested primarily in neuroscience, not trans issues?

GENDER IDENTITY AND PHANTOM GENITALIA
    Sandra Blakeslee

San Francisco Chronicle
    Sunday, April 13, 2008

Some people know, with absolute certainty, that they were born the wrong gender.
    A girl sees that she has no phallus, yet she feels deeply, unambiguously male. A boy is equipped with a penis, yet he feels fundamentally, unarguably female.
    Such discord often gets chalked up to the physical - prenatal hormone exposures, abnormal brain structures, gay genes. Or to the psychological - repressed homosexuality, absent dads, overbearing moms, parents who wanted a baby of the opposite sex.
    But there is a new explanation: Some transgender men claim to possess phantom penises. From the time they were little girls, they say they had vivid sensations of a penis between their legs. Others develop such a phantom when they begin taking testosterone therapy.
    Similarly, transgender women who are born male and later undergo sex reassignment surgery generally do not report having a phantom. They say that their penis was never part of their body image.
    V.S. Ramachandran, a neurologist and psychologist at UC San Diego and a leading authority on phantom limb sensations, says it has long been known that some people who are born without arms have vivid phantom arms. They can swing them around, wave goodbye and make complicated gestures.
    This suggests that an intact body image - the maps of the body laid down in the brain before and after birth - can develop without actual limbs. So-called mirror neurons that map the actions and intentions of others into one's own brain may help bring the phantoms to life, Ramachandran says.
    But phantoms might also exist from the beginning of life. For transgender men and women, he says, the body image laid down prenatally could similarly differ from the external body anatomy.
    A study describing this phenomenon appears in the January issue of the Journal of Consciousness Studies. But some are skeptical.
    Simon LeVay, an expert on human sexuality, says that Ramachandran is comparing those who are extremely pleased with getting rid of their penis to others who are distressed and think about their penis all the time. "Emotions are left out," LeVay said. "I am not sure he has looked at the question of wishful thinking in detail."
    Phantom limbs were first described as a medical condition after the Civil War. Amputees said then, as they do now, that they continue to experience bodily sensations as if the absent limb were still present. But without any scientific explanation, phantoms were chalked up to wishful thinking. But in the early 1990s, Ramachandran carried out experiments that demystified phantoms. They are not the stuff of human imagination. Rather they are a product of brain wiring.
    When a limb is amputated, the area of the brain representing that limb is no longer activated by touch. But such areas do not become vacant lots. They get invaded by nerve fibers from adjacent brain areas that map intact body parts. When those parts - say the face or shoulder - are touched, sensations are felt in the missing limb.
    Not long after this discovery, a few people wrote to Ramachandran to say that they experienced phantom penises after losing the organ in an accident or to disease. They even had phantom orgasms.
    This got Ramachandran wondering whether the phantoms applied to transsexuality. To find out, he surveyed 20 male-to-female transsexual women and 29 female-to-male transsexual men.
    The first finding was intriguing. Only 6 out of 20, or 30 percent, of the transsexual women who had had their penises removed reported feeling a phantom phallus. But 58 percent of "normal" men have such sensations after the surgery.
    The second finding was surprising. A third to a half of "normal" women experience phantom breasts after a mastectomy, as opposed to only 3 out of the 29 transgender men. The third finding was downright astounding. Among the transsexual men, 18 out of 29, or 62 percent, said they had experienced a phantom penis long before their surgery.
    In two cases, the phantom appeared shortly after the start of testosterone therapy. "If the phantom is a result of wishful thinking, why would a hormone be required to trigger it?" Ramachandran asks.
    The findings imply that transsexuality should not be regarded as abnormal, Ramachandran says. No rigid barriers exist between the sexes. Rather, sexual identity exists along a biological continuum that involves an innate body plan and life experience.
    "I expect a lot of criticism," Ramachandran says. "Those who study transsexuality tend to be territorial because they themselves have made so little progress. There is no literature that illuminates the underlying mechanisms, other than psychological mumbo jumbo. And then someone comes striding in and spends two weeks solving the riddle. It must be infuriating."
    Sandra Blakeslee is a Santa Fe, N.M., science writer who specializes in brain sciences. E-mail insight@sfchronicle.com.
    This article appeared on page G - 9 of the San Francisco Chronicle

http://www.sfchroniclemarketplace.co...IN5S103FLF.DTL
    http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow...07/1861116.htm
    Last edited by Nicki B; 04-26-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Removed second quote as unnecessary
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]