Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by bobi jean View Post
    all of the "research" (not really all that much) I have done would indicate that this is a crossdresser,Attachment 65131
    and this is a trasvestite.Attachment 65132
    can you see the differance.

So its the plant!

Quote Originally Posted by jaina View Post
    Absolutly no difference, people just wanted a new word.
    How about transdresser! There is a NEW WORD!

Tara

Silver Member
    As you have already heard there is no difference between tv or cd, it is just a label and that means nothing. The issue that I see in all of this is why would you allow someone to just walk in on you unannounced when you do not want to be interrupted? I think you were naive in thinking that this would not happen and at the same time that your friend was rude in just letting himself in unannounced. This is what door locks were made for!!!!! If you feel bad about this then blame yourself, think about it. I think both you and your friend showed bad judgement in this situation.

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    I won't debate whether I was right or wrong keeping my door unlocked. That is part of living in a small community where people are comfortable with keeping their doors unlocked. I've done it all my life, my family has, my friends have.

As for getting busted, that was a very unfortunate situation. I keep myself in the closet just because of people like my former friend. People expect men to be men, and women to be women. Any deviation is not part of the norm and people will react.
    That too is probably part of a small town attitude.

I am disappointed in this whole deal. But it is what it is. I can't go back and change it. I can only learn from it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea M. Forbes View Post
    Caution - don't speak for all of us. I find the word transvestite offensive. I consider myself a crossdresser.
    Same here...
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Seville[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

Ouch!

Sorry to hear that you were busted.... that is a nightmare for many of us.

But the 250,000 dollar question on my mind is ;

[SIZE=4] What the hell was your door doing unlocked if you were running around your house dressed!?? [/SIZE]
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Ok I maybe wrong, and I'm sure someone will tell me. But the question I think you have to ask yourself Susan is this: Are you physicaly attracted to men or woman?
    AS far as I'm concerned, that is what sepperates us from them.

I am physically attracted to women.
    Last edited by susancheerleader; 05-05-2008 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Hazel Lee View Post

[SIZE=4] What the hell was your door doing unlocked if you were running around your house dressed!?? [/SIZE]

I very very very rarely get company so I didn't even think I needed to.

Guess I was wrong......

Anyway, despite my mistake, it did bring on a good discussion.
    Last edited by susancheerleader; 05-05-2008 at 09:01 PM.

There have been a lot of good answers to the CD vs. TS question. But, in the end, there is still some confusion.

Try this, and see if it helps any: Crossdressing describes a specific behavior. It is an umbrella term that includes everything from the occasional fetish to the professional Drag Queen. It merely describes wearing the garments of the opposite sex.

A transvestite is a person who practices the behavior of crossdressing. But, this person's cding does not necessarily reflect an inner gender dysphoria, (as a transexual), or a profession, (as a Drag Queen, for example.), or a sexual preference.

Under the general heading of Transvetite, you have such specific types as fetishistic transvestites and transexuals. The transgender community falls into this catagory when they choose to crossdress. (Yes, there are people who are gender dysphoric who do not choose to crossdress.)

A lot of the confusion comes when we try to use a verb as a noun, (crossdress becomes crossdresser), or a noun as an adjective. (Transvestite becomes transvestic fetishist.)

And, as has been pointed out many times, it is often the least informed in the politically correct community, that gets to make up the definitions.

I believe it was Terry Wogan, (Famous British radio disc jocky who went on to become an even more famous TV, (NO! not that 'TV'; television) personality), who once said that: "There are two types of people in this world. The rightous, and the unrightous. The problem is, the rightous seem to think they get to define who is who." I think there is a parallel concept here for us.

Obviously, this is a pretty brief offering, and certainly not all inclusive. But I hope it helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    Perhaps, rather than just viewing our own individual definitions as the right ones, we could use this thread to progress things and agree on which ones to all use - or perhaps we need a poll..
    Well, I wasn't trying to hammer anyone -- guess I should have used a smiley face to indicate that I was being playfully flippant. An oversight I guess. But since you press the issue, I didn't post an individual definition, and an extremely narrow definition (based on just about everything I've ever seen or heard) is precisely what I responded to. Besides, I was under the impression that the terminology in question, far from being an unresolved issue awaiting some sort of vote, has been amply and suitably defined both formally and informally for quite some time, and that information is readily available to anyone willing to do even a tiny bit of research. Besides, I really don't think limiting the term "transvestite" to a sexual preoccupation with underwear progresses things very much.

As for my own personal definitions, as far as I know someone could call me a transvestite or a crossdresser and be essentially correct either way. I really don't care. For that matter, they can call me a sissy or a fag without offending me, even if that is their intent, and even though neither of those terms is all that accurate. As long as they don't decide I should be locked up or killed, I'm prepared to slough off the categories and slurs and look for opportunities for one-on-one interaction, which does more for "the cause" than mountains of dusty old words.
    Last edited by JessieB; 05-06-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Anderson View Post
    With reference to Wikipedia...

Mein Gott!

I never realized I had violated heteronormative bounds. I should be spanked, like a naughty schoolgirl

Jahwohl!
    SMACK, SMACK, SMACK!!!!!

What is worrying is the number of people who are absolutely certain that they know 'the answer' and everyone else is wrong?

What do you call a gay or bi person who crossdresses, if not a crossdresser? And why does it matter to so many of you that someone might consider you are gay? Time and time again, it so obviously is such a big deal..

Is there not merit on voting on a few definitions - and then sticking with the outcome? otherwise we never progress..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

I am also sorry you got busted , but if he was a true friend he probably would have at least let you explain your self to him. My only other thought on this would be to keep your door locked that way you are in control ! kind of hind site but it could happen again. anyway there plenty of people on this site who support you.

It must just be me? It must be, just ignore this.

It seems every post lately devolves into this label thing. Honest to Pete why should we care? Until we are all out of the F'in closet, the labels and the nonsense will continue.

TV, CD fetishist, underdresser, TS, TG she-male, lady-boy, I would probably respond yes to all the above, so what?

Sorry, let's discuss instead the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin, shall we? So much more elegant and useful.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsiegalore View Post
    So its the plant!
    Sorry it has taken so long to get back on this one but I have not been feeling very good as of late and havent spent much time on here. any way THE PLANT DOESN'T HAVE A THING TO DO WITH IT (i didn't even notice it to be honest) IT IS THE ANGLE IN WHICH YOU ARE VIEWING THE CROSSDRESSER/TRANSVESTITE FROM THATS ALL.
    Even better was the post with; the tv is the square thing and a cd is the little round thing.. loved that one
    No these are not womens clothes!! THEY ARE MINE, EVEN THE HEELS. (update 4/01/10) THEY ARE NOW ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by DemiRose View Post
    I belive that "transgender person" is the solution.
    Not really. Crossdresser and transvestite deal with clothing... transgender is an ENTIRELY different thing dealing with the gender identity of the person.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Tracy, I love your postcard idea! My wife was thinking of throwing a "coming out" birthday party for me. That would be so funny to send postcards with my photo on it.

I like crossdresser better

I think crossdresser sounds sexy, a boy in a girl outfit.
    love the feeling.

I think nicki b had a good point. If we can't agree on the definitions ourselves how can we expect others to use the proper terminology.