Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever wanted to give up b/c you were not passable?

Have you ever wanted to give up b/c you were not passable?

I am a TS who is desperately in need of passing. I do all the obvious like shaving and applying makeup as best I can. But no matter what I do, I feel like I can't bring out the girl out of me. Every time I look in the mirror, I see a man and it's so frustrating. Sometimes, I feel so depressed that I just want to give up. Perhaps it's because I don't have the help of a support system, but I don't know, I was wondering if any of you have gone through it and how you dealt with it. I know a lot of people want to give up b/c they feel guilt, I don't feel guilt. It's just a matter of not being passable. I know it's shallow, but I can't help it. It's beyond me really.

Passability is a state of mind.... an attitude.... looks are ok, but a killer additude will tell everyone you belong there dressed as you are....

And never give up... ya are what ya are....

Hell I look like a guy in a dress but that has never stopped me one bit..... and never will...
    Last edited by Karren H; 05-16-2008 at 01:15 AM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Now first of all, you can never give up.. This will always come back! It's part of who you are for better or worse.. Thats why it's best to accept it, and embrace it if you can! This takes time though.. If you feel your makeup /wardrobe skills are not pleasing to you then you should try a "transformation service".. There are plenty all over the country and I've used quite a few myself trying to find who I am.. (you can PM me for the best in my opinion) You can watch your transformation, learn and leave with many gorgeous pics.. It is an amazing experience and you will feel much better about yourself.. But be prepared to part with a bit of money. In my opinion well worth it for the makeup tips, gorgeous pics and time en femme!
    Staycee

I used to never care about passing because, for one I didn't know what that meant and two I dressed mainly in pantyhose and heels and didn't wear a skirt or dress.. it wasn't until I got a digital camera that I started to even try to pass.. and more to the point I think as far as I am concerned, I think it is a forgery attempt.. anyone can look like a girl wearing pantyhose a skirt and the right angle is chosen for a picture... I'm proof..
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Inva, u may NOT be able to give up!

Quote Originally Posted by Carly D. View Post
    I used to never care about passing because, for one I didn't know what that meant and two I dressed mainly in pantyhose and heels and didn't wear a skirt or dress.. it wasn't until I got a digital camera that I started to even try to pass.. and more to the point I think as far as I am concerned, I think it is a forgery attempt.. anyone can look like a girl wearing pantyhose a skirt and the right angle is chosen for a picture... I'm proof..
    I've experienced almost exactly what u have. I fooled around with CDing for years. Something I did it occassionally when I had nothing better to do. Never did more than try on a few things. Like hose and heels. Or a bra with socks in it.

I couldn't get into it, because of the "unattractive man in a dress", in the mirror. Then, I did what Carly did. I CHEATED! Started wearing my faces, and it completely changed my attitude about myself AND CDing. I still can't pass outside, and lots of folks don't approve of my faces.

But, I'm satisfied with my looks. Enough to continue CDing anyway. THat's what u need to do, too. Just keep trying until u can come up with a look that works for u!

After all, the only person u REALLY need to please is yourself. I hope u can do that!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I know what you mean and for me it comes in cycles. I succeed for a while in convincing myself I could be mistaken for a woman, I feel like a woman, and I dress every evening until reality hits and I stop completely. Then I get on with being a guy as best I can.

Like Karren said, it's more a mindset than it is appearance, i.e. 95% attitude and 5% appearance. I can be the most gorgeous "knock out" in the world but if I'm not into it, it doesn't work. Being "passable" is just a matter of perspective but enjoying being yourself, now that's the ticket.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Many times, but i don,t think giving up is possible!!
    Now i just dress up because i want to and if i think i look passable..Good!!..
    If not, well i,m still enjoying my dressing and feeling girly!!

Wink Go walk around in Wally World for a few hours...

[SIZE="3"]My advice, go walk around in Wally World for a few hours (in drab) and you'll feel infinitely better about how you look with your makeup and such in place. If the discount stores and malls in your neck of the woods are anything like they are down here, you'll notice a lot of real women who (speaking kindly) would make just about anyone look great.

I'm not saying this to slam anybody, but nobody's perfect and not all of us look like a super model. Even on a bad day, I'd bet you have a lot of real women beat just because you care enough to try.

Take care and God bless! [/SIZE]

I expect that i am looking at it from a different perspective of it than you are but i would never give it up because i do not pass , i know that i would never pass so i would be much happier knowing what i am and not passing than trying to pass and not be happy with it , for me knowing what i am is more important than the looks , but i know that does not suit most as for them the looks are the most important , it just depends on how you look at things .

joanne

Like they said

I agree, it is a lot of attitude and appearance. Those who stand out are the ones who are dressed out of what is expected (gown in Wallyworld). We may be more atune since we know what to look for and we're all paranoid LOL. If you're dressed for the occassion and are not nervous most people won't even give you a second look no matter how you think you look. There are plenty of non fem looking women out there and no one thinks that they are men. Besides if someone is unsure would they say something and look stupid if it really was a woman.
    One Halloween after we went Trick or treating I took the kids to Wendy's. I was dressed, really bad make-up and lousy wig and outfit. We sat and ate another woman was there with her son and after a bit I asked him how Halloween was. After she heard my voice she smiled and said that she was thinking to herself what an ugly woman I was, not even thinking that I was a guy. Even when I dressed at work one Halloween Better make-up and clothes the sales manager was asked a few times that day who's the new girl (some added ugly), one those (husband & wife) people even sat at my desk and talked with me the day before.

I know it's about the attitude and I think I have a rather passable voice and mannerisms. (I was once dumped on a date b/c I was too feminine). Anyways, bottom line is that first impressions matter and I'd like to be one where people don't second guess even for a moment that I am a guy. I mean, it's hard to explain. There are certainly people out there that do it for the thrill of it and don't care about passing, which is fine and I respect that. But for me, I do it b/c I certainly do feel like I am a woman. and it's hard because that doesn't reflect what I see in the mirror.

I have to add that beauty is really relative and in the eye of the beholder sometimes. When the movie "Congo" came out in 1995, there is one scene in which Amy (the female gorilla) makes the comment (when the electronic translation comes out) that Karen (Laura Linney) was an "ugly woman" because she was jealous and liked Peter herself. I was on the floor laughing with that one.
    Last edited by Kate Simmons; 05-16-2008 at 02:43 PM.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

You see your imperfections real and supposed, 95% don't really pay any attention and of them probably 75% don't really care.
    Of the 1% that's left who cares, you probably tick off the same percentage if you're in drab.

I'd never give up and I don't ass well at all.
    Angie

Remember also that you have seen YOU (the GUY) in the mirror all of your life. So even with the makeup, wig and everything else, you still see they guy underneath that you expect to see.

You have an automatic prejudice toward seeing the person in the mirror as male, no matter how much you try to cover that image up.

What you need to think about is that that stranger on the street does not have that prejudice. They start with a complete blank slate and no expectations. If they see a face that is presenting as feminine, makeup, jewelry, feminine hair style, their brain is going to tend to almost WANT to see you as female.

Sometimes after I get all dressed and made up, I look at myself in the mirror and try to forget who I am. I try to wipe that slate of expectations clean and just see exactly what is in the mirror. Sometimes I ALMOST succeed in not seeing ME anymore, just the woman in the mirror.

Good luck!
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

I know how you feel about the desire to pass in public. I have always wanted that so badly. But, like you, I will never be able to pass. I am tall, have a big male pot-belly, a male voice, and certainly a walk that at this age would be very hard to change.

As for giving up though, perhaps I wish I could at times, but the crossdressing (or transgender feelings) is a part of me, just as my nose or voice are. I could try to suppress it (as I did for so many years), but there is no way I can just 'give it up'. Just in the past couple of years I have decided to stop trying to repress it and to instead embrace it, and I am so much happier and more comfortable with myself now.

That's exactly wher I am right now. I don't think that I'll ever be passable and wonder what the point is continuing - especially as it's so difficult to find the time at home to dress. It's really depressing because I so enjoy dressing and want to go out as Christi but I can't ever see it happening
    Hugs,

Christi

No, I don;t care as long as I do my best.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Amazing Member
    I feel that way. Last time I was out in public, I got read by two women in quick succession, and went home, took it all off and have not been out so publically since. I also read the thread here about kidding onself and taking a reality check. That was also discouraging.
    I guess you have good experiences and bad experiences, and some of us are more sensitive than others, in being upset by the negative ones, to the point of changing course.
    Of course since then, I showed my woman friend a couple of pictures of me dressed, and she did not recognize me in either. But it may have had to do with her wearing the wrong contact lenses for close-up viewing. I know that there have been times when I have passed, even though outnumbered by times when I did not.
    So, I guess that is whatmakes life interesting -- the fact that it can be so confusing.

I gave away alot of clothing to a good friend, but I still kept all of my bras and panties, and a few other items. I figured that I'm never going to leave the house while wearing them, and thought that they could go to a better use if I saw my friend ( a female friend ) wearing them.

In a word...NO...this is way to much fun!
    No closet is big enough!

I feel girly whenever im dressed.With or without make-up,wig,etc.Most of the time its how i feel rather than how id pass.Im Claire,smart,casual and sexy
    Claire en femme,smart,casual and sexy!

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Passability is a state of mind.... an attitude.... looks are ok, but a killer additude will tell everyone you belong there dressed as you are....

And never give up... ya are what ya are....

Hell I look like a guy in a dress but that has never stopped me one bit..... and never will...
    Karen, guy in a dress? Puuulllleeeezzzeee!!! You look terrific in my opinion. And btw, I'm a huge Ducks fan but am pulling for your Penguins to win the greatest trophy in all of sports. And besides, hockey is such a great game for a girl to love

And back on topic, what's all this stuff about "passing"??? This is an ideal which cannot be achieved by a vast majority of us so I think this word should be removed from our vocabulary. Blending is a better term. Do your best to blend into whatever public venue you are heading towards and that is half the battle. The other half is just as Karren said...attitude. My goal is to present in such a way that although I may be read, I want people to say "hey, she pulls it off pretty well". I'm not naive to think I am "passing" per se because this implies that EVERYONE thinks you are a gg. However, I am comfortable enough in my presentation that I can give a hoot what anyone thinks if they do happen to read me.

Now this doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to do the absolute best we can. This includes voice and mannerisms. I cannot tell you how often my girl mannerisms have bled into my male persona which I believe validates what I'm trying to do...be true to myself as best as I can short of transition.

So there's my two-cents. No one should give up. We are all special and do the best we can with the cards we are dealt. It's how we play those cards that affects how the outside world perceives us.
    Last edited by Sara Jessica; 05-17-2008 at 06:36 PM.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I don't think I can give it up completely. Being only half passable is what keeps me at home. Even if I had someone with me I'd be too paranoid to enjoy it.