Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting courage and planning

Getting courage and planning

I'm preparing for my first time out. I've been planning this for a long time. I'm going on a business trip soon--perfect chance. I bought a new dress, tons of new makeup, hose...ready to go. But I'm also worried that I'll chicken out. Or stay in my hotel room. So I guess I'm announcing this to the forum to get some encouragement. And maybe, after I get all dolled up in my makeup, dress, and heels, I'll actually step outside the hotel room and show the world who I am!!

Here is a picture from my DRESS rehearsal. Get it? Dress rehearsal? ha ha ha

Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

Looking good, hon...love the dress!

Let us know how it goes...

Amanda Nicole
    "Mandy"

Hey Dana, I know the feeling very well. It's scary - but you never know how it will go until you do it.

I took it slow for the first few months, now I'm to the point where I'm running out to the supermarket, mall, walking around my neighborhood, going to hotel bars, etc... and people have been 99% supportive. At first I thought a lot of people were laughing at me, but it was just that they were surprised and uncomfortable. Most of the time if I just smile through it, people come around and compliment me... actually a nice feeling and a confidence booster.

You look awesome in the print dress, by the way. It's very appropriate and flattering on you - I think you'll be a big hit everywhere you go !

Kara

Banned Read only
    With a look like that, I don't think you need to worry.

Have fun on your first trip out!

You look fabulous, just "go for it!"
    "I Used to Have a Handle on Life, But It Broke"

love the dress, very pretty,

Remember other hotel guests pay maybe even less attention to others there than you will. Getting out in public is kind of like riding a bike for the first time without training wheels- not as hard as you imagined it to be.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    I agree with the others, you look like you should be alright.

I know the feeling of leaving the hotel room for the first time. You really kinda just have to go for it. If you're nervous when first passing people on the street, just look straight ahead and keep walking. Most people generally don't look at you. When dealing with people, such as a restaurant or a mall, just smile and act like you would in any transaction (get it TRANS action LOL!). Most of all, have fun. Really passing, I honestly believe, truly takes place in your head and in your heart. My first time out I felt so triumphant when I got back to the hotel room, I stayed dressed as "Caroline" for another two hours and even took a walk outside at night by the pool. I just didn't want the day to end...and in a way, it hasn't ended since I've been out so many times since then.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SweetCaroline; 05-31-2008 at 08:04 PM.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

Banned Read only cd_britney_426's Avatar
    I can understand your nervousness or hesitation. I was pretty nervous the first time I went out even though it was with two other TGs. I'm still new to this and still get nervous but each time it gets better. I think the key is to start out going places where you would be most comfortable and most accepted. Each time I have dressed up I have gone to a TG-friendly bar/nightclub. That causes me to be much less nervous because I know there is no question of being not accepted and at the same time I know I am going out to have a good time. I don't think it makes sense to get dressed up to go to the 7-11 or Walmart for your first time doing this. Good luck. I am sure you will like it. The first time is the icebreaker or at least it was for me as I've already done it several times since then.

Honestly, as good as you look, you should have no problem. Just one Caveat, make sure you have your room key before you leave and that if it is one of those electronic keys make sure it works. I just left my room for ice and was all dolled up and when I tried to get back in my room the key was not working and I had to go to the front desk to get it replaced. NOT COOL!!!!!!!!

But go for it and have a great time
    Vash
    24th Century Grande Dame

Good luck with that. I had my first ever hotel session two weeks ago and I can vividly remember that moment of heart thumping hesitation as I opened the door into the corridor. I had no choice, I had arranged to meet my wife elsewhere.

In the event, nobody seemed at all interested in me as I walked past reception and out into the world.

Let us know how it goes.

I will post a full report. Thank you for all the encouragement! Last night my wife (who doesn't know anything about this) asked, "Did you shave your eyebrows?" Ooops...I left some clippings in the sink...but she didn't suspect anything otherwise.
    Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar
    Good luck Hon. Just take a deep breath and open the door and step out like you had every right to be there.
    Just one small suggestion, perhaps if you can get by without the glasses it might soften your look a little more. Of course it might make reading price tags more difficult. I know

Edwina

Wow Dana, you look nice! I'm still nervous myself about going outdoors. I've been going to my monthly Tri-Ess meetings (I change when I get there) but have gone out dressed only once. It was our annual shopping trip to Dress Barn and I decided to bite the bullet and go out dressed with the rest of the ladies. I was so scared that I ended up not buying anything! Even though the sales ladies were very polite and helpful, it was hard to concentrate on shopping.
    I really hope you have a much better experience out there than I did.
    -Audrey

Hi Dana , I think you look great and am sure that once you take that first step there will be no stopping you from enjoing yourself and gaining the confidence and respect that you deserve . Good luck and make sure you keep us updated on your progress . Tomara

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Good luck and have a great time ! I think the dress is very pretty. I so love that sixties prints are back in style !

C.

[QUOTE=Vash;1314504]Honestly, as good as you look, you should have no problem. Just one Caveat, make sure you have your room key before you leave and that if it is one of those electronic keys make sure it works. I just left my room for ice and was all dolled up and when I tried to get back in my room the key was not working and I had to go to the front desk to get it replaced.

I think that you look great. Don't mistake the looks you get for responses to your crossdressing but responses to your looking good. I often take a second look at people who look good--men and women. You look very good and may get some looks because of it. Enjoy it.
    I also share the precaution mentioned above. I've used business trips for crossdressing occasions many times. I'm always especially cautious about my keys.
    Have a great time.
    warmly, Linnea

First, you look great! One of my first times out was a business trip so I am with you on this. The hardest part was the first step out the door....and then it got easier. In fact, when I returned to the hotel there was no one around so I walked around the lobby and took some pictures with my remote, and now I was hoping for someone.

I know it will be a great experience!
    Kristen

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Good luck and I will look forward to your success story.

I was locked in my room on more than one occasion and was more surprised than anyone when I finally made it out. I wasn't dressed well, my makeup needed lots of work, my shoes hurt and I was afraid the whole time. I loved it!!! I didn't look nearly as good as your photo does and I didn't attract unwanted attention.

Go for it. From your photo it looks like you will do well. Just remember to breathe and give yourself a chance to just sit while you are out to enjoy the feelings you will be experiencing.

Aspiring Member
    You look great!
    Have some fun!

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    [QUOTE=linnea;1315312]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Honestly, as good as you look, you should have no problem. Just one Caveat, make sure you have your room key before you leave and that if it is one of those electronic keys make sure it works. I just left my room for ice and was all dolled up and when I tried to get back in my room the key was not working and I had to go to the front desk to get it replaced.

I think that you look great. Don't mistake the looks you get for responses to your crossdressing but responses to your looking good. I often take a second look at people who look good--men and women. You look very good and may get some looks because of it. Enjoy it.
    I also share the precaution mentioned above. I've used business trips for crossdressing occasions many times. I'm always especially cautious about my keys.
    Have a great time.
    I'm cautious as well, about my room key, only I usually get three keys that are kept in different places inside my purse or wallet. Several times I've had bad keys, so having an extra is a good thing. The hotel doesn't care how many you have.
    Dana Ryan

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Have fun! Remember, your not in your home town so the odds of seeing those people in you home town is too great.

That's a really cute dress. Good luck!

Your very first time go slow and ease yourself into it. Try just walking down the hall to get some ice of something. Then maybe a quick trip down to the lobby to get a newspaper. If you feel your heart can take it, then go ahead and think about going in and having supper at the hotel restaurant or getting a drink at the bar. See what you're ready for. I wouldn't go out on the streets or around town on your own if you aren't real familiar with the city!

Above all, be confident, feel free to be yourself, and SMILE. Happiness is infectious! Good Luck!!
    Sally

Smile

[SIZE="4"]Get on out there and show off that beautiful dress.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".