Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equal Rights?

Equal Rights?

Do CDers want only to be able to chose the clothing and accessories that they feel comfortable in or is there something more? If it is the clothing barrier, why aren't there more groups trying to rally for equal rights? I understand societies stigmas, but women had to fight society for the right to wear pants. And that wasn't that long ago. If more is wanted, I still think the first step for acceptance is rallying for equal rights.

I believe we all want different things, but we do want to be accepted as who we are by most everyone out there.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Hi Putz, Amy is right, there are a lot of different agendas out there. The biggest barrier I see with many, however, is self acceptance and embracing of our own feelings and openness. Until that is accomplished to a much larger degree, it will mostly remain as is and agreeing on a common agenda is difficult to say the least.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

One of the differences between us and most previous fights for civil rights is the fact that we are invisible until we complain. Blacks and women were already know, but were being descriminated against. They didn't risk exposure because they were unable to hide. The majority of TG or CDs are "hidden" and would be exposed to active pressure and descrimination if they appealed for their rights. That makes it imperative that anyone out of the closet try to do something to help promote acceptance and furthering our fight for rights.
    Sally

Thank you Sally, you got to the heart of the question. I'm no longer trying to figure things out, it is what it is. The problem with the clothes issue is that women had voting rights long before their right to wear pants. Women were accused of all sorts of things on wanting to dress like men. There needs to be strong gurls to stand up, the ones that have been doing the crossdressing in the open. It's not immoral or illegal, it just is.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Totally different agendas. A fact I was watching Benny Hinn yes thats Hinn not Hill and they had an revival in one country and the men where wearing skirts! in fact the one guys skirt looked like one I used to own! Note this, the male skirts are long and not short however it is a skirt. However what the TG community is seeing is the right to dress and present ourselves to the world as the opposite gender without prejudice.

Salandra and Sally are both spot on. We cannot expect others to accept us if we can not accept ourselves, and we can not be visible to the public if we continue to hide in the closet like timid little bunnies. There is an election this November in the US, if your rights are important to you vote only for those candidates who will support us.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I guess my whole point is that ever since women have been acceted in pants and such, no one really looks and asks why. It would be nice if the roles were equal in society. Since asking myself that question, I'm no longer asking why my hubby CDs. It would be like asking me why I wear jeans, who really cares why I dress the way I dress.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I agree with Sally. We are invisible and that makes things harder because people only know what they perceive us to be because of the media and whatnot, so straight away we have an uphill struggle.

I'd also like to say that, of course, we can (technically) wear anything we like, there is no law against it. However, unlike women, we haven't yet earned the right to wear whatever we want....not if you want to be socially accepted. In the past women were "not allowed" to wear all sorts of mascucline clothes. I'm talking 100 years ago here. They were expected (because of men) to wear corsets, dresses, etc etc....pants and trousers were frowned upon. It wasn't until the women's movement fought for their rights by getting out there and being seen....they made it happen.

IMHO it's going to be the same for us. We (me included) have to get out there in our dresses and be seen for what we are....transgendered. It's not going to be an easy ride, and we are going to have to take some risks, but if ultimately, we are going to get accepted more in society then people have to know about us. It's up to us to educate them that we are harmless individuals and we are not to be feared...despite what they may perceive.

We have one additional thing that we have to deal with, and that is the social hierarchy within our society. When a woman dresses in a way that is perceived to be masculine it's not considered a problem because she's going "up the scale". However, when a man dresses in a way that is perceived to be feminine it is a problem because (especially amongst other men) he's lowering himself because in their eyes dressing feminine is being less of a man, and being less of a man is considered a bad thing.

Now, obviously I'm generalizing about the public at large, and not everyone thinks this way, but IMHO the only way we will ever be truly accepted is when women truly get an equal status in society with men. Why hasn't there ever been a female US President? (I'm hoping that will change soon ) Where are all the female military Generals? Am I making any sense here? The key to it being accepted is the empowerment of women. That’s why all cders should be interested in women’s issues and leveling the playing field instead of complaining that it’s not fair. I'll get off my soap box now.
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 05-26-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by putz0611 View Post
    The problem with the clothes issue is that women had voting rights long before their right to wear pants.
    Depends what you mean by "their right to wear pants". Bloomers and "bicycle pants" date from about 1880, definitely before the USA amended the constitution to give women the right to vote in 1920.

The material I find indicates that wearing pants at work was fairly extensive during WWII, about 20 years after voting rights. I don't think I would say that 20 years is "long before".

The general wearing of pants as a fashion item doesn't appear to have really started until Breakfast At Tiffany's (Audry Hepburn) capris.

Rights to wear pants... not until 1995 in California!

If you google for "women wearing pants", the great majority of the hits you get for the first several pages are condemnations based upon biblical tracks, they "corrupt our spirituality", women shouldn't wear pants in church, "it's been scientifically proven" by eye position measurements that when women wear pants, men will focus first on her crotch, etc., etc.. In that sense, women in the USA still do not have the "right" to wear pants.

I'm probably taking this further than it started out, but I feel that one barrier to acceptance is the demand for approval. Acceptance is where you are given the right to do what you want and others have no concerns about it and acknowledge your right to do your thing. There is no labeling of various lifestyles as right or wrong. Certain hard core individuals, and I'm not speaking about the members here, but more towards some gay rights advocates, demand that they receive approval as well as acceptance. They want to be told that what they are doing is correct rather than just receiving the tacit acceptance and tolerance to live the way they want. Frankly, I'm sympathetic to gay rights, but I began to lose that sympathy when they want to ram there life style down my throat and demand that I show approval for them. If I feel that way when I'm on their side, think what the general public must feel.
    I hope I'm making sense. The bottom line is CD's and other alternative life stylers should be happy if society can benignly tolerate and accept them and should not push it by expecting society to to pat them on the back and proclaim that this is a proper way to live when the majority probably have other opinions.

Thank you Rachel! I will say that yes, a female presidant will do wonders, I however don't think Mrs. Hilary Clinton would do anything for promoting the image of women. She is conflicting with herself and that isn't a good image for anyone in power, male or female. Also, I think it is the male perception (society speaking of course) that prevents a lot of progress as far as images are concerned.

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar

We are not alone...

There are groups out there fight for the rights of cd/tv/tg/ts individuals but as much as people scream for equal rights, few take action.

If you'd like more information on it, here are a few links:

Freedom Activist: Crossdressing

Transgender Law and Policy Institute

T-Vox

You can always find out from local groups what is going on in your area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

Women and girls wearing pants wasn't really socially acceptable until late 1950's, early 1960's. Girls were sent home if they weren't wearing skirts at school in most of the U.S. Women faught that. However you want to lable genetic men dressing in female clothes (and I'm not) they deserve the acceptance of wearing what they want, without being questioned or criticized. Thanks to this forum, I think I finally understood that with my hubby!

Aspiring Member
    I still think that for otherwise so-called 'normal' men who CD the price of admission is simply no worth the pay-off.

There's a lot of history

Joan of Arc was put to death for wearing men's clothes. Heresy.

Marlene Dietrich would wear men's underwear. Paramount was upset.

Katharine Hepburn wore pants in the 1930's, it was considered scandalous.

Woman wore pants in WWI due to necessity. There were not enough men to build the war machinery. So due to the male's penchant for war, women got liberated and we've been left dressing in the closet. Seems fitting.

Why in this day and age we are still fighting Shaatnez is beyond me.

-Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

I have found in my experience of going out in public enfemme that peaple are accepting and have alot of questions. Yes there are those peaple who are critical of males wearing dresses, just like those who were critical of women who wore pants in the 50s and 60s, We just need to put our dresses on and go out in public just like the women put their pants on in the 50s and 60s. we have the right to dress how we like, but we are too scared to, and we hide in the closet. Protesting for rights that already exist is not the answer.
    we do not need to protest, we just need to put on our dresses and exercise our rights and put on our dresses and go out in public and eventually society will accept us as they do when women wear pants. we need to overcome our fears and get the hell out of the closet, and go out to the store, or anywhere else we want to go. I have a new found freedom since I have overcome my fears of being seen in a dress. our freedom to dress how we want already exist, now overcome your fears and get out of the closet and enjoy your freedom to dress how you wish. Should anybody want to harm you the law is on your side, however you also should learn self defense, and be careful where you go enfemme, because there is dangerous places out there, and no matter how you are dressed there are places you should avoid, because they are dangerous even if you are dressed as a man. Also we must dress appropriate so as to not cause the wrong impression, (DO NOT DRESS LIKE A ****). I believe that society will accept us if we will dress decent, and if we also behave in a proper way.

Aspiring Member
    I'm all about equal rights.
    Women who wear pants and skirts are shocked, just shocked a husband would do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by vivianann View Post
    Just like the women put their pants on in the 50s and 60s. we have the right to dress how we like, but we are too scared to, and we hide in the closet. Protesting for rights that already exist is not the answer. We do not need to protest, we just need to put on our dresses and exercise our rights. Should anybody want to harm you the law is on your side
    We have some ability to dress as we want. There is no right to that. CDers are frequently refused entrance to public venues either because they are dressed "inappropirately" or because their id doesn't match their presentation. They cannot physically "harm" you but in many states you have no protection from being fired, forced to use the men's room, refused service and derided. The feds will not address this issue anytime soon so we must push for state laws that protect our right to make a living and go about our business as any other citizen!
    Sally

"I began to lose that sympathy when they want to ram there life style down my throat and demand that I show approval for them"

You mean like the guy tongue-kissing his girlfriend in line at the grocery store? Should they also stop ramming their lifestyle down people's throats?

I endorse what Vivianann has said ( while slightly amending that we should dress appropriately for the environment we're in ( clubwear in general isn't for shopping in the middle of the day i.e.) ).
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 05-27-2008 at 05:00 AM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by putz0611 View Post
    Women and girls wearing pants wasn't really socially acceptable until late 1950's, early 1960's. Girls were sent home if they weren't wearing skirts at school in most of the U.S.
    The "girls school" ("Academy for Women" -- a high school) a couple of miles from me still has a skirt and school-blouse dress code. The use of school uniforms (male and female) is on the increase again, with the two main reasons given that the use of uniforms eliminates the wearing of "divisive" clothing (e.g., gang clothing), or that the use of uniforms eliminates the wearing of "inappropriate" clothing (this sometimes refers to female students wearing of mini-skirts in school, sometimes to female students wearing camisoles or bustiers or similar on the outside -- but what really gets school officials (and mayors) upset is the "saggy pants" style. Schools survived 40 years of mini-skirts and a decade or more of visible camisoles, but saggy pants threaten not just the school system but society as a whole, apparently...)

While living in Australia near a small town, one of the blokes occasionally showed up at the pub in a dress. No wig, make-up or other amenities, just a dress. No one at the pub gave him a second look. He was who he was and everyone accepted it. It was quite comical, in my mind, seeing a bloke dressed in a frock, playing cricket and lawn bowling. This was a town of about 200 people, so everyone knew everyone else. New Years eve party 2006 at the pub was a hoot as no less than 5 blokes showed up in drag and EVERYONE enjoyed the evening. It just goes to show that there is tolerance, if not acceptance of us out there, even in small communities. Hugs, Amber
    "in varietate concordia"

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    The key to it being accepted is the empowerment of women. That’s why all cders should be interested in women’s issues and leveling the playing field instead of complaining that it’s not fair.
    Good point Rachel!

I think that the homophobia and sexism that still exists in our society is a key. I know for me personally it plays into my fears of being ridiculed or shamed, fears I am working on overcoming.

Besides being activist about it and educating people, just getting out there and taking our space is the most important thing. That can be daunting and sometimes dangerous, but everyone else who has fought to change something has had to go through it. My partner got sent home often for daring to wear pants to school in the early 60's, and she got a lot of flack at school and home for it, yet kept wearing them because she knew she had a right to.

So besides fighting sexism and homophobia we have to believe in ourselves and in our right to wear what we want. I'm gradually wearing more and more what I want in public without trying to pass, just as me, and while I see young people do this as a 'statement' thing sometimes, I'm still kind of amazed I seem to be the only person my age who dares to dress differently. It kind of makes me more determined to do that, although I do dress the way I do for my own personal reasons and I'm not trying to make a statement... other than I should be allowed to be who I am. I'm not harming anyone and I'm not trying to change anyone else. But if my own style inspires or emboldens others that's great. Haven't seen it so far in my small community.

Personally I find it's mainly men that seem intimidated by the way I dress. It bothers them I think because in me they see themselves and then they see themselves being ridiculed and shamed and maybe even hurt by their peers. What I know is that I'm nuturing true courage, and that's something that should inspire them, if they didn't live so much in fear and ignorance.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

My perspective on equal rights

There seems to be a belief here that the women's movement was about women wanting to be more like men. To be treated as men. I think that misses the point entirely.

IMO, the equal rights movements of women and other groups, was about having access to the same privileges, services and public venues as anyone else. At the time it was the caucasion male. Doesn't mean women wanted to be more like men, or black Americans wanted to be like white Americans.

With that in mind, I'm all for equal rights for anyone. No one should be denied employment opportunity or be in physical danger because of how they look. Which would include TG folks. However, I question whether wearing skirts or pants, regardless of birth gender, is really an issue of social importance. IMO, clothes are clothes and placing so much self-value in what you wear is too close to snobbery and discrimination in it's own way. (Designer fashion vs off the rack mentality). I will dodge the flying beer bottles now.

No woman I know achieves any kind of emotional fulfillment from wearing pants. They're just clothes of convenience. Crossdressing is alot of things, but I've never heard it described as convenient.

Well as Richard O'Brian put it. In the olden days men wore very extravagant clothes. Sometimes more so than the women. Then all of a sudden the victorians came along and brought with them the suit and we've been wearing it ever since. We just need to get peoples minds back to before we got so repressed and then everything will fall into place. Well hopefully anyway.