Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling pretty vs Being pretty

Feeling pretty vs Being pretty

I just got a new dress. (Big shock, huh!) It's very pretty, in fact much prettier in person than I thought it would be from the pictures of it I saw when I bought it. But the best thing about it was that when I wore it, I actually felt pretty. And that felt good.

Many of us go to great lengths to appear pretty, or as pretty as we can be as genetic men. It's often a tough row to hoe, and the results can be spotty. One day our results can turn out much better than on other days. Sometimes the results, despite all the primping and preening we can muster, are that we look like guys in dresses with lipstick pasted on for some kind of effect. Sometimes we look in the mirror, shake our heads, and sigh, "You just can't dress up a pig."

Other days, the results can be much more pleasing. Sometimes I'll dress up all the way, and I'll think, "Now that's a pretty dress." But this time, I actually felt pretty, rather than just thinking that my clothes were pretty. It was a deeper, more inward feeling. So I got to thinking, there's a difference between looking pretty, and feeling pretty. And feeling pretty felt pretty good!

Your thoughts?

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

If I weren't a crossdresser I don't think I'd ever be able to understand why women like clothes, makeup, shoes, etc so much and take so long to get ready. It's because it feels pretty. I can't quite describe the feeling but I'm pretty sure you all know it.
    like shooting stars in a barrel

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    I think that is the difference between a good gender day and a bad one. On a bad one, I feel like a guy in a dress (if I'm at least in a dress). Its even worse if I'm totally in guy mode. On a good day, I feel pretty and the guy in the dress disappears.
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

.... I guess it's all in your attitude... I feel pretty and look pertty (IMHO) no matter how I'm dressed or which gender I'm dressed as....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Absolutely agree with you! Feeling pretty and cute is very important to me. Sometimes I can wear the same outfit, same makeup routine (same colors and everything), same wig, every thing's the same yet, one time I think I look cute, the next time I think my make up looks bad and the clothes make me look way less feminine than before.

When I mentioned this to my wife she said: "now you know how women feel. Sometimes our confidence about how we look is there, sometimes it's not"

Being a crossdresser has helped me show empathy for women in so many different ways!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Aspiring Member
    ...it's like the stars are aligned... doesn't happen every day, but when it does!

Hi Marla: I see myself as a guy in a dress, but show me where it's written that only gg's can be pretty. Even when I'm moving a rig all covered in mud and frost I still feel pretty because of what I'm wearing underneath it all. I really believe pretty is a state of mind not a state of apperance to others. Hold your head high, and don't lower your eyes for anyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Luv Jamie

I have yet to find a day that I think I lookpretty but the feeling is there 95% of the time. If not for that feeling I wouldn't be here. I think it comes from liking myself no matter who I am.

I hope you and everyone here can have this feeling always for happiness comes to those who seek it.
    Be yourself society doesn't know that there is no such thing as being normal.

If you can't find the silver lining make your own.

Smile "I feel pretty" Song from "Westside Story"

Hey Marla,
    "I guess it's all in your attitude... I feel pretty and look pretty" (line stolen from Karren) every time I dress, which is daily.
    Of course living as a woman 24/7 has a lot to do with it.
    Most days I dress as a normal GG, Peddle pushers, nice top and a minimum of makeup.
    See my album on my profile page, it has pictures of me dressed normal.

Paula Rae
    [SIZE="1"]Member: Diablo Valley Girls[/SIZE]

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I have had those days too and when I look at the photos it shows. On my days I feel pretty I feel like I can take on the world.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Not sure, Marla

There r times that think I look rediculous, fat, or badly matched. But, when I think I LOOK pretty, I also FEEL pretty. I think so, not sure.
    Maybe it is different when u go out dressed? Because u know people r looking at u?
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 05-29-2008 at 07:42 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    I think it's just a good day as opposed to a bad day as well. I'm sure we all get them, I know I do. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm dressed as a woman or a man, feeling like s**t for no reason whatsoever just seems to be part of life.

Like any other girl I guess, there are times when everything about the look comes together perfectly and as a result, I truly feel as pretty as I hope I look. Moments like these make my confidence go sky high!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Hi Marla, Reading your thread made a U2 song pop into my head.
    Some of the words for you

"Some days are dry
    Some days are leaky
    Some days come clean
    Some days are squeaky
    And some days just drop in on us
    Some days are better than others"

The words fit my sentiment fairly acurately. I think that you can have days that are not so good and tend to go with whatever attitude you may have.

I know that on some occasions I land lucky and manage to look like a semi decent looking girl. Some days are leaky though and I end up looking like Robin Williams in a dress!

Most days,i think i look great.A new outfit provides a rush to the blood.Ive a couple of new wigs on order,my senses are tingling!
    Claire en femme,smart,casual and sexy!

Avatar Isn't Me......duh Alana65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    Absolutely agree with you! Feeling pretty and cute is very important to me. Sometimes I can wear the same outfit, same makeup routine (same colors and everything), same wig, every thing's the same yet, one time I think I look cute, the next time I think my make up looks bad and the clothes make me look way less feminine than before.

When I mentioned this to my wife she said: "now you know how women feel. Sometimes our confidence about how we look is there, sometimes it's not"

Being a crossdresser has helped me show empathy for women in so many different ways!
    Rachel,

I feel the same way......you took the words right out of my mouth.

Sweet Southern Girl looki Alicia_lynn419's Avatar
    I have been saying for a long time... (crossdressing) is less about how you look, and more about how you FEEL.

KUDOS!

Lone Wolf
    It's all in your head dear, for me if I feel ok, then any thing I have on is good, but if I feel bad or sad, nothing works.

I can look pretty from the neck down nut much can help above that. But I alway feel pretty and feminine and that puts me in a happy place.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by TGMarla View Post
    I just got a new dress. (Big shock, huh!) It's very pretty, in fact much prettier in person than I thought it would be from the pictures of it I saw when I bought it. But the best thing about it was that when I wore it, I actually felt pretty. And that felt good.

Many of us go to great lengths to appear pretty, or as pretty as we can be as genetic men. It's often a tough row to hoe, and the results can be spotty. One day our results can turn out much better than on other days. Sometimes the results, despite all the primping and preening we can muster, are that we look like guys in dresses with lipstick pasted on for some kind of effect. Sometimes we look in the mirror, shake our heads, and sigh, "You just can't dress up a pig."

Other days, the results can be much more pleasing. Sometimes I'll dress up all the way, and I'll think, "Now that's a pretty dress." But this time, I actually felt pretty, rather than just thinking that my clothes were pretty. It was a deeper, more inward feeling. So I got to thinking, there's a difference between looking pretty, and feeling pretty. And feeling pretty felt pretty good!

Your thoughts?
    My first thought is to thank you for expressing this. I have had similar feelings on several occasions, and when I really feel pretty, it is fantastic. I was shopping at Lane Bryant one day, and in one particular outfit--it was the right fit and the right colors and the right style--I just felt pretty. I didn't want to take it off. And it was more than how it looked. It was how it felt.
    I'm really happy for you for having had that feeling. I hope that you feel it many more times.
    And thank you so much for sharing it.
    warmly, Linnea

I think clothing evokes certain feelings in all of us and being the unique individuals we are, we can enjoy the best of both worlds. I love high heels, and feel really complete when I wear my wig. I know my general build isn't all that femme, but the clothes make me feel it anyway.

Smile You get the idea, Marla

[SIZE="4"]How you carry yourself will reflect how you feel about yourself. The day I threw caution to the wind was the day I felt pretty. I feel it all the time when I'm dressed.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Silver Member
    I think it is all about having the right attitude. If your mind is just right you will feel pretty. The clothes are only the outward appearance, what is projected from within completes the whole package and that determines how we feel about what we see when we look in the mirror.

Glamerous Granny carolinewalker_2000's Avatar
    In my opinion, if you don't "feel pretty" you won't look pretty, no matter how competent you make-up, etc is. Being "girly" has to start inside.
    [SIZE="3"]Caroline

Tranny Granny
    [/SIZE]

I feel pretty when the outfit is right, the nails match, the shoes are sexy and when I look in the mirror I think I look good. I feel and look pretty when I get to where I'm going and people come up to me and tell me that I look good to them as well. I'm just a sucker for compliments!
    Charlie