Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you choose your name? Open to everyone!!

How did you choose your name? Open to everyone!!

I was just reading an old thread started by Lex about his name and thought about this. I'm curious how you chose your name and why. What does it stand for? Does it stand for anything or did you just like it? This is open for both the guys and the girls.

My first name was chosen really for a silly reason. haha When I finally came out as a guy I was living in an apartment on Taylor street. There ya go. I liked the name Taylor and chose it because I lived on Taylor street. Pretty simple and the name fits me. LOL

My two middle names were chosen more carefully. Allen is my favorite Uncle's middle name. And my other middle name Jon is several of the male members of my family's middle name and first name too! I have an Uncle with the first name John. Of course everyone calls him Butch but that's fine. And I have two cousins with the middle name John and Jon. I preferred the second spelling because it just seems more modern.

So there ya go, Taylor Allen Jon

Your turn now.

Platinum Member
    both my names ive had in my head for years, I actually chose my middle name first..it was taken from the first name of a man that basically raised me as his child pretty much, although we were best friends, he did all those little things you would expect a father to do, he died in 1997, before his death i had not long come out as trans to him...and i said flippantly one day, 'yanno if you ever die before me, im taking your name as a mine'...he being the kind of man he was agreed that i should...when he died i couldnt bring myself to take his first name as my first name, as it weirded me out ALOT, so i chose to use it as my middle name....my first name i chose because of my celtic background and also i wanted a not very well used name, not common, it has been in my head since a child
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 06-14-2008 at 10:51 AM.

Mine came from somebody i had a crush on in school,she was called Nicola,but i loved it shortened.I always said if we had a girl i would name her Nicola but that never happened so i've taken it.

Nikki

Long before I even knew trans existed I used to have fantasies/daydreams (still do) about myself being a guy. His name as far as I remember always has been Joe, which is actually quite similar to my female name.

In high school I got a nickname that just sort of stuck. Of course, my mother would turn out to hate it so I spent months struggling to find a name I was okay with that she didn't hate to change my name to... basically I'm keeping my nickname as a nickname and changing my name to something else entirely.
    Story of my life –>

"Sharon" was the name of the little girl I fell head over heels in love with in the first grade. It was the first name that popped into my head when I felt obliged to choose one for myself. "Michelle," my middle name, is my twin sister's name.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Took my initials, mixed them a bit then looked for names that fit the intials.

I know, too logical for a girl, huh.

Christi was the name of an ex girlfriend and I just loved the name....although don't love her so much now
    Hugs,

Christi

Well... I got my name due to always saying... cya tamara... meaning cya tomorrow... and I kinda liked the name So when Tam and I joined this forum, choosing a name to use, that one cropped up and my SO Tammy, is short for Tamara so we chose those My real name is nothing like my name here lol
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

After i came out to my mum, she told me that she and my dad were going to call me Deborah Jane if i,d been born a girl.
    It just seemed right to use it as it would have been my name anyway.

I took the name of a very special friend of mine who died of breast cancer at 32years old. I could write a novel about her and how she never got the credit or recognition that she deserved in life and never got. Even on her death bed she was thinking of others more than herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Rose View Post
    I know, too logical for a girl, huh.
    Ehhh, what? Women can't/aren't supposed to be that logical?
    Story of my life –>

I wish I had an answer to this question. Unlike most(?) other people, my parents never had an alternate name thought up before I was born as they "always knew I was going to be a girl." *ahem* Also, as someone who writes sci-fi in his spare time, all my good names go towards my characters. If I ever got published, I don't want to be the author who named themselves after their characters. That would be... weird.

The fact that I chose Sabo10 for a CD/TG forum without thinking how it might sound to people who don't speak Japanese strongly suggests I shouldn't be allowed to decide on my own anyway!

I still haven't made a decision. I use my birth name in real life and my initials here.

KP.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenFrost View Post
    Ehhh, what? Women can't/aren't supposed to be that logical?

That was tongue in cheek. Just a little tease, kind of like a blonde joke.

It is a song I liked
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Well I changed both my first name and my surname. My first name is Lewis which is just the masculine version of my given name ( Louise *rolls eyes*). I decided I neither wanted my married name nor my family name for many reasons so I named myself after my son's name Jacob to reflect that I "belong" to him....I am now officially Mr. Lewis Jacobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hey you with the pretty face welcome to the human race, a celebration, Mr. Blue Sky's up there waiting and today is the day we've waited for.

Rapidly becoming a Gender Equality Duty expert (Europe)

I chose Trey as My first name because it's a name I have always been comfortable with....My brother used to call Me that as a shortened version of My given name, which is Tracy...and, it was an attempt (albeit an unsuccessful one) to give a nod to My mother by not changing it to something completely different....I thought it might be an easier transition for her (not the case, but that's a different topic)....My middle name is Aidan, which I let toni choose....I thought since toni is such a great partner, it would be nice to give him an opportunity to be part of something so significant in My life.....he chose Aidan because he said it reminded him of someone who would be an artist in the village (Greenwich Village, that is)....and that it suited My personality....My last name, I just kept, didn't change that.....it's generic, LOL.
    Ever The Opportunist

As most of you know, I haven't changed my name. It's my name . . . I like it . . . it's my history, reminds me where I came from. I use "Lex" which is a shortened version of my middle name, and that's enough for me.

But the problem arises when people (professional people, that is) want to call me by first name - it's my history, which I don't want to lose - but it's not my preferred way of being addressed. And apparently it's very hard for some people to get.

I suppose it's hard to live outside the norm of girls having girl names and boy having boy names. To me it's just a name. So I've tried to conform . . . tried to come up with a name I can live with so people don't automatically see me as female when they see it. But no other name feels like me.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm boring my name is actually Sandra.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    wow really? i didnt know that lol

Well my ex helped me pick my name after troughing through thousands I came across Felix and she said thats it that suits ya and I quite liked it and what it mean so it stuck xx Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

You guys and gals are so special. I hope you know that. It has been a treasure to read this thread!! I mean that whole-heartedly. I'm so glad I asked this question.

I always liked the name Damien. I had a friend named Damien in college, he was pretty cool. Then of course there's the EVIL MOVIE! LOL The middle name Jace I actually found on a web site in baby names. My sister & I poured through many names until we came upon that one. My last name is also gonna be changed to Darwick for personal reasons.
    SHUT UP AT LEAST THE BUNNIES ARE ON FIRE!!!

I spread the love of Bob. Mariah's Avatar
    Mariah, Compermise for my father. Stephanie, What my parent's were going to call me if I was born a gg. and keeping my last name Cole. *sigh* soo many stupid puns with that last name.

Mariah
    Trans platypus, yes I'm a Platypus.
    Start Transitioning:Jan,2007
    HRT: July,2009 2 years ^_^
    Name Change: Sept 28,2010
    Real Life Test/experience: Sept 1,2010- Sept 1,2011 WOOT DONE!!!!!!!! Waiting on my SRS/GRS letters now. ^_^
    2 years full time, Experience that is valuable!