Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened after tellling a friend?

Amazing Member

What happened after tellling a friend?

I have experimented with telling friends and acquaintances about my CD'ing, I guess because I seek acceptance as part of the process of coming out, and I once thought, transitioning. I have often got negative reactions.
    One friend said if I was, and I guess he thought I was kidding, he would have nothing more to do with me.
    A couple of friends were told, and seemed not to raise a fuss, yet when I was spotted doing it around here, some time later, they more or less started a process of alienation from me ending by going ballistic. It was like a slow burning fuse had been ignited.
    A very good friend, though not deserting me, though he did think of it briefly seems to have a phobia about it, and freaks out at the thought of even looking at a pictue of me dressed.
    Recently I told a couple of women friends, and one reacted in a sort of blustery way, and the other said, 'I am laughing at you.' while sort of laughing, half behind her hand over her face.
    After all those negative reactions, and more,I am starting to withdraw from friends, avoid making new ones, and try and live in a more anonymous way, as just another face in a crowd of strangers.
    What has been your experience?
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 06-15-2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fix typo

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I have never told any friends, but others people that I know that have, ended up with similar experiences. Most of my friends (outside of the community) that know me as a girl, don't know me as a guy. In a way that is kind of weird, but has worked for me. As my doctor tells me, I live two different lives.
    Dana Ryan

Leading two different lives feels safer to me. How can anyone choose to risk a few friends just to see how they'd react? Nobody knows about the second side of me but this site, and currently that's limited to being a simple name on the page.

I guess I've been really lucky there with telling friends. I have told every one of my friends but I have always looked for friends that are open minded and really are a bit different themselves as well. I have not had one friend tell me I was sick or otherwise. I have met alot of new friends thru the years too and always tell them straight away or soon after meeting them as I dont want to waste my time or theirs if they feel indifferent about my dressing. I am the way I am and will always be this way so if they cant live with it then so be it but as I said either I pick different friends thru the years or have been really lucky having such good ones like I have.
    Be Yourself, Everybody else has been Taken......Oscar Wilde

I go to the beat of a different drummer

Susan Michelle

A year ago a friend kept pestering me asking what I had done over the weekend. He refused to be satisfied with my vague answers so I finally told him that I had worn my dress to a crossdresser's event. The expression on his face when I told him was priceless. After the shock wore off he was ok with my activity. We have remained friends and he even makes an occasional joke about crossdressing.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Hmmmmmm, I guess I will put a different spin on this answer. It seems to me that the question is do you live for yourself or for those that are currently your friends from your male persona.

I have been really been comming out over the past year and think that at this point in my life, I want to live for myself and if those I know are ok with who I am, great! If not, well there are new friends to be made that know the real me. Isnt that why friendships here have developed?

I love being able to chat with friends here and other rooms. I have come to dearly love them becasue there is nothing better the being totally honest with someone.

SO I guess I am saying, live life for yourself before it's too late

Banned Read only
    Beth, your experience is my fear. So I have never been able to confide in the friends I have now.

This is where this site and events like the Be-All and SCC come in. As we get older, we think it's hard to make new friends, but given an interest so specialized, if we expose ourselves to a group committed to the same interest, we'll find and make new friends, real friends, in a heartbeat. Happened for me at Be-All!

Happens for gear heads at autos shows. Happens for basement dwelling anime freaks at conventions. The right venue, the right people, will make all the difference. You need to find people who share your predominant interest for the moment. Ex-Marines are gonna find it hard to share with their buddies at the VFW, but at SCC they'll be surrounded by sympathetic 'co-conspirators'.

A thread here from a while back talked about the nature of ones accepting friends and a great preponderance of truly supportive friends had backgrounds in the arts and among IT geeks. So find yourself some 'outside' characters to share your 'secret self' with; artists, musicians, performers, writers, programmers, young people, emos, goths...

We cannot live without friends, friends become family when we have no family or when our families abandon us....

Do not isolate yourself, do not go all recluse on us, okay?

Believe me, I know this only too well...

Tell All ?

Well, as some of you will know, I agonised for a while before I told my two GG friends at work

After I did it turned out better than I could have ever imagined

If you choose carefully then you'll be okay

Aspiring Member
    My friend freaked a bit when I had black nail polish once, which wasn't even related to dressing... so no I haven't told him!

[SIZE="3"]I've mentioned getting regular pedicures (no color) to several of my friends, explaining that I'm diabetic and it does wonders to have one's feet massaged. Most of them have given me pretty weird looks and one even said "You might not want to spread that around too much."
    I don't think they'd be too accepting, but I suspect that some of them may be envious - they'd like to do the same but don't have the nerve to admit it.
    Strangely enough, the women having their nails done when I'm in the salon all seem disappointed that I'm not getting any color. Go figure.
    [/SIZE]

As the twig is bent... Leslie Foxx's Avatar
    I've not lost any true friends over my coming out. One who used to stop by frequently doesn't come around as often, but his wife has become a more frequent visitor. She formerly worked in Ptown, and has many variant friends in her life.

I've found in general that the GGs I've come out to are more readily accepting than the men. I think it catches the men off balance, and they aren't sure how they should act or react.

I must admit that my femme self is a bit devilish, and flirtacious. I think that behavior tends to keep the guys a bit "nervous", which is a reaction I don't discourage. I don't do it maliciously, but with a generous portion of humor.

You don't get any more old friends, so I understand those who don't want to burn bridges. Yet, if you cannot be who you are when you are in their company, are they really the type of friend you want to have a lasting friendship with? I found very liberating that I no longer had to put out the energy of posturing who I wasn't.
    [SIZE="3"]Leslie[/SIZE]

"In these shoes?"

Silver Member

it's always hard

to decide who to confide in and who not to--the best advice someone once gave Me is that if you have the slightest doubt about the person, then don't confide.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Chewies sister-moulted!
    I,ve a couple of friends who remain dear to me , but , I,m fearful of losing them if I were to come out . Its a bit strange , as I'm sure they have an idea about Michelle , but I think its prolly better she stays hidden away unless I'm asked .
    The same goes for my sister in law .....remarks about my shaven legs and arms , it hurts me to keep this a secret , but then I think the only person who really needs to know is my wife . I can trust her .

Folks can be really odd and strange on the subject of crossdressing . I gather it can be either judged as laughable ( womans view ) or even fear ( no we are not coming onto you , as an informed male ) so it can be very hard to gauge a persons reaction to what still to some is seen as a taboo lifestyle .......

Quote Originally Posted by mistress michelle View Post
    I,ve a couple of friends who remain dear to me , but , I,m fearful of losing them if I were to come out . Its a bit strange , as I'm sure they have an idea about Michelle , but I think its prolly better she stays hidden away unless I'm asked .
    The same goes for my sister in law .....remarks about my shaven legs and arms , it hurts me to keep this a secret , but then I think the only person who really needs to know is my wife . I can trust her .

Folks can be really odd and strange on the subject of crossdressing . I gather it can be either judged as laughable ( womans view ) or even fear ( no we are not coming onto you , as an informed male ) so it can be very hard to gauge a persons reaction to what still to some is seen as a taboo lifestyle .......
    Michelle you nailed it my day time job would suffer greatly if people knew,small town very religous.
    For me though my wife knows and hates it so I come hear for friendship and
    acceptance.
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

Mrs Peel, We're needed jennifer41356's Avatar
    its never been important to me if any of my friends know or not, I have told a couple of female friends and they were cool and eventually liked me better as a girl..they both seemed to suspect..one of my female friends would always ask me if she could tell someone, usually someone we both knew and I was ok with it and they all were positive..I have maybe 3 male friends who dont know and I feel they dont need to know...as i dont see them very often...so my advice, choose carefully and observe how they act in life, the more open they are to different and new things the better they will understand and support you

In all honesty, the ones that "leave" were never truly friends to begin with. I have had some that left and it hurt me deeply because I thought they were my friends, and others that I thought might leave became even closer friends.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Christen3042........I go once a month for my 2 hours of pure bliss and get the full works. Pedicure/toe nails polished/maincure/fill/nail polish/eyebrows waxed. I have never had another customer complain about me or that I am getting bright Red polish on my toes. In fact I have had customers reconmind various shades of Red. One customer wanted to know the name of the pale Pink polish I was getting on my hands. I once had a young lady about 8-9 years old getting her nails polished look at my toes and told me her Daddy like to wear Red polish on his toes too. LOL

Amazing Member
    I guess I have become more confident as I have matured, but maybe I have become overconfident now. In my youth, I took my guide from the saying of the pessimistic philosopher Schopenhauer, 'Never tell a friend anything you would conceal from an an enemy.'
    I guess the example has been set by gay people, who generally are discreet and keep that side of themselves, mainly to their gay friends, to the extent that it is not seemingly fairly obvious by their look or behavior. (I say seemingly, because many are falsely read as gay. One really cannot tell by appearance.)
    So far, people in the general public are not paranoid or tuned in to looking for signs that we are CD's or trannies, when we are not dressed very much in that mode. For so many years, people were paranoid about gays, in that unsavory way. Maybe it will come to that with us, but more likely it will involve GG's being suspected of being CD's. (It has happened a couple of times around here, for people suspecting GG's were me!)
    I guess it is back to living secret lives on the one hand, and an irreproachable public life on the other. Meanwhile It seems best to dump a bunch of so-called friends who I told but have reacted poorly.

Banned Read only
    I'm afraid to say this, but I've always felt that you must be ready to take the consequences of telling anyone, whether it be family, friends or whoever.

That takes a lot of courage; meaning you need to be in a position where you are ready to face the reactions, answer all the questions, and take responsibility for the results, good or bad.

You need to think about the outcomes: What is the best thing that could happen, and what is the worst thing that could happen (and about the grey in between). Are you ready for that?

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Well, the one friend that I told did not go well. The relationship was never quite that same with him after that. It was as if I suddenly turned green and had a big wart on my nose. Eventually our friendship just withered and died.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Since I am mainly a closet dresser, I see no reason to tell anyone about me. I belive that its not anyones business what I do in my own apartment.

Hey courage..camille" (Quote from BobHope) I never really told anyone at anytime ecept my wives, but a few found out, all of those are no longer CLOSE as friends, but one still is..and thats all that matters because as my mom always said" A friend is someone who knows ALL about you, and still likes you!"..

Amazing Member
    Emily, I could have never foreseen the worst consequences in my case. But whether you see the consequences as possible or not, you have to take them. I think I have always played the 'nice guy' too much. It is naive I guess to think that one can get away without unintended bad consequences, or at leat come scarily near to them.

way up north where the polar bears play..
    told my best friend recently ..she kinda knew was just too good a friend to mention.
    got to the point in my life spiritually and physically couldn't hide my developing fem self any more ..my breasts are c cup large so no real hiding them any more.. katie was starting to tease me about them ..so being to embarrassed to tell her just showed up at her house wearing my favorite bra under a clingy tee shirt ..she loved it ..that i was finally brave enough to share my softer side with her and how big and soft my boobies were.. teased me my cup size was bigger than hers ..katie is so funnie .. very helpful and supportive ..she has been buying me clothes and helping with hair and make up ..calls me girl friend on the phone ..she's my bosom buddie ..spend alot of time at her house just doing the girl thing ..some times we go out to play as a guy some times girl ..
    how ever the wind blows ..kinda of the best of both worlds .she is just a sweet heart ..
    she tells me the same.. loving life in cute little undies ..peace ..katie says.. hi ..

Amazing Member
    I guess what one is really doing in telling friends, is seeing if they will become an extra special kind of friend, one who will respect you in the new MTF role. It is like filtering your existing base of friends and acquaintances. The alternative is to not use your existing base of friends as candidates for such a special friendship, and instead, seek such friends elsewhere, where you expect that you will likely find people tolerant of this.
    In the strategy of seeking friends, there are those two different tactics, not that to a certain degree it might be appropriate to use both depending on how you appraise the prospective friend or special friend.
    That leads to the question, of how one can find which is which. I used to try to pave the way with different questions, not really related. One used to be how tolerant a person is towards gays. Now of course, nearly every nice person is either tolerant, and perhaps tolerant of that alone, or faking tolerance. So, while a useful test, it is much less useful than before. I guess one of the traits that is behind tolerance of tranniehood, is whether an individual values the masculine model of behavior highly, or the feminine, (or at least is tolerant of it). To further ascertain this, one way, after asking some questions, would be to show some sign of effeminacy, a carefully chosen one and see what reaction it provokes. One might be to put a show cap on, in the rain. It could be passed off as an eccentricity, later, And so it goes. Anyone have further ideas?
    Last edited by Beth-Lock; 06-22-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: clarification