Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaving legs in the summer

Shaving legs in the summer

I love the look of my shaved legs but fear going out in public.
    Last edited by kristiCD; 06-27-2008 at 10:13 PM.

I live in a small West Virginia city and have my legs shaved. Trust me, it really isn't a big deal. If anybody asks, which very rarly happens, I just tell them that it's because I ride my bike a lot(which is true). Believe me, if I can go out in spandex and have my legs shaved here and nobody cares then I think anybody can do it.

The other thing that I've noticed at the gym I exercise at is that there is a wide variety in the amount of hair on guys legs. I've seen almost totally hairless to covered.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kristiCD View Post
    I love the look of my shaved legs but fear going out in public. I think everyone will look at me and think or say I am gay (and they don't mean it as a compliment). I think this because I have read a lot on the subject on-line. If you look at any poll on line about what people think of men with shaved legs 90% will say gay and/or that a man should never shave their legs. I think we live in a homophobic society. I asked a question about this on a fitness message board (craigslist) and was really berated by a lot of rude people.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/forums/?forumID=92

I know I shouldn't care what people think (but I do). But I really wonder how many people like me think it looks good to have shaved legs? For the record I am not gay. I am bi with a preference toward women (don't care to kiss or cuddle with a man). I do not hold bad feelings toward gays but I am bothered when people call me gay. It defeats the purpose of having shaved legs in public if most people are appalled by it. I like to look good and get a favorable response from people. Anyone else share my feelings?
    Kristi,

I am 76 years old and have been shaving my legs for many years. I now live outside Atlanta, but for many years lived either in Portland, Oregon or Seattle. During the hot summers my bare (tanned) legs are always visible. No one cares what your legs look like, except you! Many swimmers and cyclists shave their legs. And many of us have very little hair there anyway. Just be yourself, and do whatever you feel is best for Christi! If people do ask me about my shaved legs, I just tell them that I prefer it that way. If you show confidence in the way you dress, etc., people will learn to not ask stupid questions!

Sissy/Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    In answer to your question, yes, as far as I am concerned it looks great to have shaved legs. I've not bared my smooth legs in public yet but I am wondering how many people would actually notice or care too much. I think if you explicitly ask people a question about shaved legs on an otherwise male body you will get some rather sure-fire responses. And that may say more about the respondents' insecurities than anything else.

I've seen lots of other posts on the forum to the effect that either no-one noticed or where they did notice they were not bothered either way. As a cyclist I'm not expecting much in the way of adverse comment.

On the other hand, as a parent to two kids I'm not sure yet how I'll respond if and when my legs are noticed!!

One thing I do know, I can't forsee me ever having hairy legs again, with only one exception, if my SO wants another view of the way they were.

Sarah...

Aspiring Member
    Okay, let me get this straight. If you shave your legs or pierce your ears or wear your hair longer than a regular cut....then you must be gay. If a woman has short hair, wears stud ball earrings, and wears jeans and an oversized t-shirt.....she must be a lesbian. Wow!

This type of thread comes up frequently and I am sure that you will get many positive responses from the girls here. I have been shaving my legs for several years now and have gotten very few negative comments.

I am a high school coach and wear shorts almost year round; not one teacher, administrator nor another coach has said a single word to me. I get maybe two times a semester a question or comment from a student about my shaved legs and simply reply that I do and I like it.

FYI, I was watching the USGA tournament Saturday and Sunday and I noticed that I could not see any leg hair on any of the caddies and I have HD.
    I could see the arm hair on Tiger but no leg hair on Steve, his caddy. I guess if you want to start shaving your legs become a caddy and get on national TV.

Believe me when I say................................Once you shave your legs, you will NEVER let the hair grow back. It's wonnnnnderful!
    Last edited by CaptLex; 06-16-2008 at 03:33 PM.

I see guys with shaved legs all the time.... and who cares.... I don't shave mine in the summer ecause the wife expects me to pass as a male for family outtings and the like.... And there's nothing better than a happy wife!! Especially with my hoby....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

girl about town

Shaving legs

I don't even bother to defend shaving my body anymore.
    It is how I like it and that is all they really need to know.

And if they insist that it is 'gay' or I am 'gay',
    I usually just say, 'OK, I get it. Shaving makes me gay.'
    And then I ask them why they shave their faces every morning,
    because that makes them look like a girl,
    and I am starting to feel attracted to them. Lol

I look at hairy guys now and think:
    'God, how did I ever put up with that mess?'

Of course, some boys and girls actually like hairy guys.
    To each his or her own.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I know many men who are not even TG who have hairless legs and cannot even grow hair on their legs. The question I would ask is why does it matter anyway. I see many men in the hip hop world with bare legs.

Sorry, but I think your fears are ridiculous. Right now I am living and working as (reluctantly) a man, on a survey vessel off the coast of tropical Africa. The most I wear is shorts, t-shirt, sandals (no socks). Often, the t-shirt is off. I have shaved (actually, epilated) legs, and arms, and chest -- everywhere hair can grow, I have removed it -- except the top of my head, where I would love to have hair but in fact have very little. It is a hyper-masculine environment. But nobody has shown any sign of even noticing my hairlessness. If anyone were to comment on it I would not make up some silly story like being a long-distance bicyclist; I would just say I find it cleaner, cooler and more comfortable. I like how it feels. And if anyone thinks I am gay, well, why should that matter to me. If I was , it would be my business alone. I used to be afraid like that. Gradually, I am losing my fear, and following my feelings. I am much happier for it; trust me, you will be too.
    A man's only as old as the woman he feels.
    Groucho Marx

Wink

Hey Girls, I know how a lot of you feel, a little concerned that someone will notice and say something bad about your shaved legs. While I'm not going to say it won't happen, I am going to say it hasn't happened to me and I live in redneckville middle Tennessee! People here are for the most part very nice folk, but they also don't mind asking you a question or quickly pointing out the fact that you don't fit in. I have had my legs shaved (now waxed) for 3 years or more, always wearing shorts when it's warm, and in that time one person has asked me about it and that was a 17 year old GG, my neice, and she said it was cool, she hates body hair and wishes her boyfriend would shave his body! So relax and enjoy your smooth legs! Kaitlin
    I love Jesus!
    Life is so much better now that I know who I am !

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D View Post
    Believe me when I say................................Once you shave your legs, you will NEVER let the hair grow back. It's wonnnnnderful!
    You said it!

I've been shaving my legs for 10 years. Only recently did I let it grow back and I had to shave it when it got warm yesterday, and no regrets.
    Today after some moisturizer it feels WONDERFUL!!!

I live in a highly conservative town and nobody says anything.

Look around, you'll see other guys with shaved legs. Nobody says it but everyone does it....
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

I was sort of in your boat just a few months ago when I made the decision to keep my legs smooth during the summer. Historically during "shorts" weather, it was always jeans or if I chose to wear a skirt, that not-fondly-remembered matte Danskin tight worn underneath my chosen shade of nylon. So I eased this into my presentation to the world. I remember the first time with smooth legs and shorts around the house. Reaction? Nothing. Kids oblivious. Wife would have been entitled to comment but she knew of my decision beforehand so she chose not to say anything about it. Then I recall my first time going out, a trip to the grocery store. Expecting looks, comments, whatever, I was greeted with...nothing. Friends came over, I'm sure they noticed but said...nothing. Family? Again, nothing. Out and about many times since just living my life and now the expectation is that not a word will be said. And I don't care in the least bit about what might be going through people's minds either but in the rare event that something is said down the road, of course I have a response ready to go.

But this isn't intended to be the kind of post that suggests everyone should do this no matter what. Gosh knows I've been on the receiving end of such advice recently on a different topic related to feminine expression. I fully understand everyone's situation is different. It took me years to take this step and I'm so glad I did but I won't shove it down anyone's throat. So the bottom line message, if you think shaving your legs is for you, I'd suggest that most people out there are more worried about important stuff like the price of gas, their jobs, families, etc. rather than worrying about your leg shaving and then making a connection to wonder if you use Edge shave gel or Skintimate. No one cares. And besides, do you really think you'll be running into the types who answer poll questions about what they perceive to be gay presentation or behavior???
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I've been shaving my arms & legs for about 10 years and I have never had any comments or questions - not even an odd look. Now, the earrings did draw a number of questions and comments. I wore studs for quite a while after having my ears pierced, but now I just wear them when en femme.

I work in the building trades. All summer I wear brightly colored shorts and cap sleave T's (not too tight) to work. I shave everything but my head. Always a woman's watch. Reaction from my customers and fellow tradespeople? Never.... Not ever a negative question or comment. On the contrary; I've had quite a few women complement me on the way I present. Last week a customer told me I looked "fresh and summery". Now does this sound as though I'm suffering alot of repression and bigotry? Tons of fun with no price to pay! Shave those legs and forgetaboutit!

I've been shaving my legs for years now and exposing them in the summertime. The only comments coming my way are if I do a lousy job and knick my legs really bad. Then I usually get a few comments from people. So, if you're going to shave your legs/body- Be Careful!

i shave 24/7 all year. Believe me more guys shave than ever before. I wouldn't worry about it at all!

I shave my legs/chest/arms every week 365 days a year.

Banned Read only
    I shave my legs in the summer. If necessary, I just wear jeans when the kids come over, or someone else that I don't want to know. No one has said anything, but I would just say I burn easily, if anyone said anything. I wear jeans anyway, depending on what I'm doing, so I don't get my legs scratched, doing yardwork, etc.

[SIZE="3"]I keep my legs shaved all the time, as well as everything else I can reach. I wear shorts when it's hot. No one has ever said a word.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnDallas View Post
    I shave my legs/chest/arms every week 365 days a year.
    Same here maybe a little more can't wear woman shorts or skort in hairy legs. And low cut blouses with a bush on the ladies (thats for those who have real ones).
    I will follow my heart

Kristi,

Why give other people power over the presentation of your body? If someone is small-minded enough to be appalled, then it is their problem and not your problem. People could also say that a woman should never cut her hair short, but many non-gay women do. Just proudly show your shaved legs is public. I show my shaved legs and also my red toenails in women's sandals. I get many compliments from women on my legs and feet.

Don't give these idiots power over you.

Jamie

I love the look of my shaved legs but fear going out in public. I think everyone will look at me and think or say I am gay (and they don't mean it as a compliment). I think this because I have read a lot on the subject on-line. If you look at any poll on line about what people think of men with shaved legs 90% will say gay and/or that a man should never shave their legs. I think we live in a homophobic society. I asked a question about this on a fitness message board (craigslist) and was really berated by a lot of rude people.

I know I shouldn't care what people think (but I do). But I really wonder how many people like me think it looks good to have shaved legs? For the record I am not gay. I am bi with a preference toward women (don't care to kiss or cuddle with a man). I do not hold bad feelings toward gays but I am bothered when people call me gay. It defeats the purpose of having shaved legs in public if most people are appalled by it. I like to look good and get a favorable response from people. Anyone else share my feelings?
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Chewies sister-moulted!
    I was asked yesterday did I still shave my legs , by my sister in law . It was done in front of my brother , and in such a way it left me in no doubt I,ve obviously been talked about .
    I replied , I,d taken back to cycling .....gosh how I wished I,d just told her I was metro sexual - a guy who takes care of his grooming .
    Or even better I was a gentle open minded crossdresser , who regards such questions as "beating around the bush " .
    Does it really matter if you know someone well , and hopefully respect they're reasons for keeping things to themselves?
    I never ask persons questions on how they look , or be nosey enough to inquire of they're nature or business. or lifestyles . I simply would'nt want to offend them .
    I fear it wont be long before I'm asked outright tho .
    Indeed I think its only due to the fact asking someone about a morally sensative issue as if they crossdress , may seem to be embarressing to the enquisitive so they don,t ask in case of a hostile reaction.
    Or , do women find the subject intresting....?
    It,s strange as i know a few females who love efeminate men , go ga -ga over the likes of Mike Monroe Brian Eno , Mark Bolan or other guys who wear their hair long.....
    perhaps its time for me to toughen up , be bold and tell the truth ..." yes I shave my legs arms and other bits and bobs because I,m a crossdresser .
    then again ....silence is supposed to be golden.

Mrs Peel, We're needed jennifer41356's Avatar

the gay men i know would never dream of shaving their legs, so I dont think it is a gay thing, I have had my legs shaved for about 15yrs and never had anyone say anything to me..I have had a couple of friends ask me about my arms being shaved though

My thoughts?? WHO CARES!!!!! I shave my legs year round and don't give a flip what others might think or say about me. "Great minds talk about great ideas... small minds talk about other people" (Or something like that, I cannot seem to remember the exact quote).

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Aspiring Member

Arms....

I used to shave my arms as well as my legs but since the hair on my arms seem to grow so fast when I would wear short sleeve shirts (remember high school coach) and someone would touch my arm, they would notice and comment and/or question. Now I wax my arms and the hair grows out much softer with no stubble.