Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GG sales assistants...

I think a little humor can go a long way. It breaks the ice and can make everyone concerned feel a little more at ease. I have had a few younger female SA's make comments, and threw in some humor with an honest answer, and went away with both of us smiling, and having a mutual good experience.

Silver Member
    I have had more great experiences with GG SA's than bad by far. One memorable one was while shopping for a halloween costume. A blue dress, for devil with a blue dress on. Two of them were instantly on a mission. they found several they thought would fit and as they led me to the fitting room said that the only condition was that I model them all. They were very sincere in thier assessments. We all agreed the blue sequined mini sheath was best. The last request was for me to drop by with pictures, which gratiously did. they were very impressed with my modified pumps into High-heeled sneakers 9 i had a GG help with the details.
    I have had a few SA's appear shocked or simply say we don't let men try things on. I avoidthese situations by a simple call to the store. I know i wouldn't want to be surprised or put on the spot at my job so why, if it can be avoided wouldn't we try to do that. yeah yeah, i know we aren't... but that isn't really the well understood idea about CDS.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriamwilliams1 View Post
    20 Years ago I was in my late teens and things where not as they are today
    I wonder if that's true, or if it is just that we have changed?

Of course, I'm sure it depends on location too. What's normal in some places is still unusual in others.

Patti
    in the rural midwest ;-)

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heathr1 View Post
    What is the worst response you've had from them while shopping/trying on clothes?

About 20 years ago I was looking at skirts in a store and the two saleswomen humiliated me big style.

One asked if I require assistance and I explained I did not, but was interested in a skirt.

One held a long skirt up to me (uninvited), while the other made comments asking if I'd like to borrow her own make-up and lingerie and saying also that they'd love to see me in a tight mini and heels.

They then laughed so much at me.

I left red faced and never returned.
    Is that a fantasy or did it really happen hon? Because if it really happened you should post the name and address of the store---20 years later maybe the same sales girls are still there---one can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Lynn View Post
    The problem is that some people have done just that and the absolute killing is the crime they commit by overcharging for low quality goods and items that available off the rack/ shelf in regular stores!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    That's for sure----I don't know why but TG/TV speciality shops often seem to have really cheap, nasty looking, shoddy merchandise at triple the price. Not as common now as it was 20 years ago but I still see it a lot. Best bet is to shop at a women's store like Metrostyle, newport news, dress barn etc. If you are big and beautiful try Romans--the leather pants I'm wearing in My avatar come from Newport News and the silk poet style blouse from Metrostyle--formerly lerner direct
    Last edited by Sandra; 06-18-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts use the mulit quote button next time please
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I've had a few comments made in the nearly 40 years I've been buying fem clothing. Some SA were just trying to be 'cute' with some comment or another. A SA at Lane Bryant once announced to the whole store that the dress I was about to purchase was a very nice one and that she saw me looking at it last week. She directed her comments to me but was said loud enough for everyone to hear. Of course I got some dirty stares. Then there are the SA's who are all bubbly and smiling until they start checking your stuff out and once seeing that its all fem stuff they get all quiet and moody. Some don't even say thankyou or wish me a good day. You walk away and glance back and they are all smiles and bubbly again with the next customer.

Pattie Girl said

Quote:
    Originally Posted by victoriamwilliams1
    20 Years ago I was in my late teens and things where not as they are today

I wonder if that's true, or if it is just that we have changed?
    I grew up in that time frame and I can tell you that it was different.

1. No internet, so we did not know others like us existed.
    2. It was dangerous to be either Gay or a TG. You could have gotten beat up and no one even the law would have lifted a hand.
    3. In many states, CDing was illegal by law.

Today, we have changed, society has also changed, and it is no longer illegal in all 50 states.

It's their job to check me out with my purchase and take my money for the store. If they are rude to me, I contact the manager, and if that does not help I will contact corporate offices if it is a major chain store. You would be amazed at how much more receptive they can be when they get a call from the regional director of customer service because they treated a cash paying customer rudely.

I had one associates at one resale shop about 14 years ago that was somewhat taken aback briefly when I told her that I wanted to look for a dress (I was dressed in Drab), when she asked me what size SHE was, I told her "It's for me", but she didn't really waiver much, she just took me over to the rack and started holding up dresses to determine what size I wore. She selected a couple of size 18's and a 20 and led me to the dressing room. On the way there she asked me if I needed anything else like undergarments. I told her that I only buy those new for sanitary reasons, she smiled and said she understood completely that she was the same way.

Sometimes they just don't care and see you as just another customer, which is how they should see you. Each and every customer should receive the same treatment regardless of gender.

Kandis
    Someone once told me "Put on Your big girl panties and deal with it". If they only knew, I WAS ALREADY WEARING THEM.

I wear the bras and panties so my wife doesn't have to.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Quote Originally Posted by heathr1 View Post
    What is the worst response you've had from them while shopping/trying on clothes?

About 20 years ago I was looking at skirts in a store and the two saleswomen humiliated me big style.

One asked if I require assistance and I explained I did not, but was interested in a skirt.

One held a long skirt up to me (uninvited), while the other made comments asking if I'd like to borrow her own make-up and lingerie and saying also that they'd love to see me in a tight mini and heels.

They then laughed so much at me.

I left red faced and never returned.
    Gee, if that's the worst thing that's ever happened, that's not too bad I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Lynn View Post
    I never had a rude SA, but my mum was an SA at a Lerner's store. She used to come home and spout off about 'You should have seen the fairy faggot that came into the store today and looked at all the dresses. I wanted to ask the little faggot if he wanted a bra too'

Made me wanna hide under the bed and cry, yet at the same time run out into the room and scream 'Oh yeah -- well I'm one too then!'. Most of the time, though, I just sat in my room and cried.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    Sorry you had to endure that...people can be so unenlightened, even more painful that it was your own mother
    Last edited by Sandra; 06-18-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts use the mulit quote button next time please

I've adopted the "I'll react to you in the same manner that you act to me" approach, and that seems to keep me on an even keel. But lately the experiences have all been positive. At a "Payless" store where I frequently drop in, the SA was getting some specials on belts and purses out onto the counter for me to look at as I was trying on some heels. And, just a few weeks ago I was in a "Dress Barn" browsing through the blouses section when an older woman shopper asked if she could help me pick something out for me, and then the SA came over and helped in the process. Then she got me a special dressing stall to change into, and reviewed each of the outfits that we had selected. And finally, she led me to the jewelry area for completion of the outfits that I was going to buy.

Haven't had any outright nastiness, but you can tell if an SA or manager is not really thrilled that you are there. On the other hand, many SA's have been absolutely great in helping me.
    P.S. Yes, JoAnn, I remember those old days that weren't so good. The youngsters just can't believe what could be done to you if they caught you crossdressing other than at Halloween.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Metal Mistress from CT MentalMercury's Avatar
    I've only bought things by myself twice, so no great experience to draw on, nothing negative at all. Once a cute girl at the register smiled at me when I bought a corset.

But aside from that, a TG shop sounds ideal on the outside, but you have to keep in mind, it's a specialty shop, it's not very likely they would get any other business than TG people at all. Even if you sell normal stuff too.. it has the mark, you know? It must be very hard to keep a store like that above water. Possibly only in a real big city would that work.

Reminds me, I went into a wig shop in NYC years ago with my mom (not for me, I didn't CD then) but I remember right at the front desk was a big banner of a drag queen with a wig. I could only imagine that kind of thing in NYC.