Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GG sales assistants...

Banned Read only

GG sales assistants...

What is the worst response you've had from them while shopping/trying on clothes?

About 20 years ago I was looking at skirts in a store and the two saleswomen humiliated me big style.

One asked if I require assistance and I explained I did not, but was interested in a skirt.

One held a long skirt up to me (uninvited), while the other made comments asking if I'd like to borrow her own make-up and lingerie and saying also that they'd love to see me in a tight mini and heels.

They then laughed so much at me.

I left red faced and never returned.

Banned Read only
    Sounds like paradise!

I'd love a couple of cute SA's to humiliate me by suggesting that I'd dress up in girly clothes!

Platinum Member
    heathr you should write a book abought your adventures..............

Banned Read only

he he now I am bad

I would have said sure and what type of lingerie tdo you have? Can i try it on? Oh hon thanks for the help WINK !!!!!!!

The worse response I got was years ago in Sears had a old bitty of a SA. She had that what are you coming in here for look. She watched me like a hawk the whole time I was in the lingerie area from the moment I got there. Where ever I went she showed up some where around me so she could see me. She had the growly look to her. I did not stay long as I could see I was not welcome there. Of course that was when I use to try and hide behind the racks so I would not be seen.
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

I,ve not had a really bad experiance of SAs...

Whenever they,ve said something like that to me i,ve just gone along with them and had a laugh!!

Once i bought a leopard print bra and pantie set..The SA said "I bet you,ll look pretty in them"
    I answered "If i don,t, i,ll come back and get something else"
    We both laughed, i paid and left with my purchase!!
    Last edited by Deborah Jane; 06-17-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Pronouncitation

I don't get it . . . a rude salesperson is just a rude salesperson regardless of whether it's a GG or whatever. Why single out female ones?
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    The question is, were they really being rude, or just having a bit of fun, thinking that Heather may play along?

It's tough to judge a story from a few statements, and without having been there.... Who knows?

Actually, I think that a lot has changed in the past twenty years; for CDs this is mostly for the better. I have never had the kind of experience you described. If I had had something like that happen twenty years ago, I might have responded as you did--with embarassment. Today, I would respond quite differently. First, I would go along with it to some degree; if it turned a little hostile, I would ask to speak with a manager and report it.
    In the past five years, I have found that many shops--large and small--treat their customers as customers without regard for pre-conceived stereotypes. Some of the older SA seem to have a little hesitance about that when it comes to CDs, but I think that the situation has improved.
    warmly, Linnea

wow ... 20 years ago ..
    What on earth happened to trigger the memory and mention it now?

Lots have changed in 20 years - especially to do with "diversity" issues.

Have to say that I rarely have had a male SA .. mostly because they tend not to be selling the girly stuff .. and when they do, (as in cosmetics) I always head for the female SA anyway.

I am blessed - because my experiences have ranged from the "nil response" to smiles and to respect for my chosen gender expression, support and help when needed.

As you have jogged the "history" files, I do remember that in the dim and distant fearful past, because I skulked around trying NOT to be noticed, I probably gave off negative vibes which the SA responded to. Probably my behaviour was not unsimilar to a shoplifter .... and that's why I was watched.
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

I too have not had a SA be rude to me. In fact when my wife and I went looking for a pair of heels for my formal outfit, the shoe store we were in, we had both a male and female SA help us. Neither one said a thing that the heels were for me and not my wife. Both were very curtoius and helpful. The female SA was a trainie and the man was trianing her. I tried on various heels, walked up/down the alises, and looked at them in the shoe mirror. In fact it was the female SA that asked me to discribe my formal outfit and found the pair of heels that she thought would go great with it. Sure enough, when we got home, I changed into my formal outfit, put on the new heels, and WOW they did go great with the outfit.

You have to be pretty thick skinned to be a crossdresser in the first place. If you let something like that get to you, then maybe you're not using the right comeback. I have always had a comeback for any SA or cashier who makes a comment. I usually say something humorus as a comeback to lighten the situation. About the same time your incident happened I had gone to a Kohl's store after work wearing drabs. I picked out several panties and bras, (one especially pretty set, mocha with ecru lace trim). When I got up to the checkout line the cashier held up the lace trimmed set and said "I'll bet you're going to look pretty in these". I flashed her a big smile and said "Yes and I'm going to try them on as soon as I get home". After she finished ringing up my items I took them home and she was right, I did look pretty in them
    Luv and Jill
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    I never had a rude SA, but my mum was an SA at a Lerner's store. She used to come home and spout off about 'You should have seen the fairy faggot that came into the store today and looked at all the dresses. I wanted to ask the little faggot if he wanted a bra too'

Made me wanna hide under the bed and cry, yet at the same time run out into the room and scream 'Oh yeah -- well I'm one too then!'. Most of the time, though, I just sat in my room and cried.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

When I was 18,buying some clothes and my adoptive mom was with me.I was trying on a skirt and top on coming out to show my adoptive mom.She told me I looked great in them.A couple of male sales assistants whom did not work in the women's department laughed at me and call me a freak.Luckily the sales assistant whom was a woman helping me cheered me up,told me I looked great in them and reported this to the manager.The manager took care of it right away and fired the 2 male sales assistants on the spot whom did this to me.The manager said I did not deserve this at all and I agreed with her.I still shop at this place for clothes and I still know the manager to this day.

Only one I had was in Brantano (large shoe store) when I was trying on a few pairs of boots, when I turn round after puting the box back (they didn't fit sadly) the SA was stood there with a security guard. I simply smiled at them and walked off. I was tempted to write a letter to the area head office but I never did, should have to be honest, though it hasn't happend since.

Amelia xxx

There used to be a wonderful little shop in San Francisco, Villanova's Corsets. Ceceila was very good to crossdressers. I was there one day waiting for another customer to be served when the customer turned and asked me If I was there to buy some frilly undies too. I blushed, the customer was served and she left. Cecilia appologised for the remar of the other customer and gave me a pair of panties to match my new waist cincher.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Lynn View Post
    I never had a rude SA, but my mum was an SA at a Lerner's store. She used to come home and spout off about 'You should have seen the fairy faggot that came into the store today and looked at all the dresses. I wanted to ask the little faggot if he wanted a bra too'

Made me wanna hide under the bed and cry, yet at the same time run out into the room and scream 'Oh yeah -- well I'm one too then!'. Most of the time, though, I just sat in my room and cried.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Yeah, that's really the worst, isn't it! When your own family or friends make some negative comment about crossdressing, and you just can't bring yourself to defend the person they are ridiculing, because it's also you!

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    20 Years ago I was in my late teens and things where not as they are today, I remember back in 1987 I worked at a store and we had a CD and her I guess wife come in and shop and the manager looked and made comments to us, however they where treated with the same level of respect as any other customer.

Now today, SA's have to be real careful with how they treat customers/guest. The main reasons are:

We are in an litigation society so and rude statements can cost them money.

We could be secret shoppers who happen to present ourselves as the opposite gender, which could cost the SA and or the management their jobs.

A TG will spend more money and repeat when the SA's are nice and none judgmental so in my case I have had comments when I am in boy mode when I buy items for my girl mode which has made me stop buying some of those items while in boy mode now. I think the most hurt comes from those close to you in todays society.

anyone who sets up a clothing shop specifically fo CD /TG etc would make a absolute killing.

PVC Crazy Member iwearstockings's Avatar
    I bought a pile of stuff at Primark in Hackney and the girl actually looked me up and down with an 'I think these are for you' expression. She didn't say anything though.I think i must have blushed a bit but I was past caring by that point. Looking forward to trying it all on!
    Peace through superior dress sense..

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sarah_ View Post
    anyone who sets up a clothing shop specifically fo CD /TG etc would make a absolute killing.
    The problem is that some people have done just that and the absolute killing is the crime they commit by overcharging for low quality goods and items that available off the rack/ shelf in regular stores!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    Toni_Lynn is so right TV/CD specialty shops always charge far more than a department store for the same items. I have never had a SA give me any grief what so ever when purchasing items. Remember with out customers they go out of business.

If their prices could even just match standard retail prices. they would get a roaring trade just for the acceptance and welcome service (providing it was done correctly.)

The worst treatment I've had by SA's is to simply be ignored. If cross dressing burns your but that badly, I can handle being ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    The worst treatment I've had by SA's is to simply be ignored. If cross dressing burns your but that badly, I can handle being ignored.
    Being ignored is the worst i would like for them to say something to me. SA's ignore me only when buying girl clothes but if it was anything else they would talk to me.
    Good bye i'm at wacko taco .com now