Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a real photo for your avatar

Using a real photo for your avatar

It took me about a year to decide on joining this forum and over a year later I have finally decided to substitute a real photo as my avatar. This was a decision I thought hard about, but which I now feel happy with. Another recent thread explored the motivation that drives crossdressers to place their photos on the internet and the general thrust of the responses seemed to be that it is an act of self affirmation – a view that I share. I wonder what went through the minds of other contributors to this forum in and around the time when they decided to use a real photo as their avatar. No doubt some may still be agonising over whether this is a step too far whereas others are long past that stage.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]Sapphire

It me

It took me a few months. I finally decided to post my real pic for my avatar.

I don't recall giving it much thought to tell you the truth. By the time I joined this forum I'd been out and about quite a bit and had plenty of pics to choose from. At first i went with one from my jamie Austin makeover oh so long ago because it made me feel happy and pretty.
    By the way - YOUR avatar is darling! What took ya so long?

Nice avatar pic Sapphire

I thought about posting a photo in my avatar for a few months before finally deciding too.
    In the end i just decided it was something i really needed to do for myself as part of my accepting who i am.

I had some reservations, but eventually concluded that the downside/threat was low probability.

At any rate, I for one, am glad you did make the swap to a very pretty avatar. Love the hairdo! I find that girls with nice features, like you, have more luck with such hairdos that present more of their face.

Thanks for sharing.
    Mary

I fretted over this for while and finally took the plunge. Its good to put a name with a face. As for anyone that still feels anxious about posting their real picture, I really do understand.

Babette

You ladies are brave,until I get out of the military I will not show my face in my avatar. My Heat bank robbing picture will have to suffice.
    Merry

HRT since 2009

I waited for a really good picture of me before I posted a real pic of me in my Avatar.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Mrs Peel, We're needed jennifer41356's Avatar
    I posted mine because I am not ashamed of who I am..I am proud to have a fem side

for those you do post pics

You are an inspiration. You show those of us that are still in the closet that there is nothing to be affraid of, maybe one of these days I will believe that . Also My wife and I look at these pics together and see that many are very modest and that not flamboyet, So there shouldnt be too much to be affraid off right???

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah Jane
    I thought about posting a photo in my avatar for a few months before finally deciding too.
    In the end i just decided it was something i really needed to do for myself as part of my accepting who i am.
    And what a loss it would be for us if you hadn't decided to!!!

And Sapphire? Your avatar is very pretty. I think you made a terrific decision. Welcome to the forum!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

It's funny you started this thread as I just put my picture in my avatar this week. I was very nervous about how I would look but took the plunge anyway.

Banned Read only
    Well, even though I posted a number of pics of myself in that Be-All thread (those were my first pics ever posted) I'm still gonna continue to use art. I'm not afraid anymore, I just think the art is prettier than my skinny ol' butt!

for me i have nothing to hide . it's choosing the right avatar thats the problem .
    when i try to use some form of art i get asked too many times why no avatar .
    so i try my best ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm glad you decided to go with a real picture. Everyone has to balance their own risks, but I really like being able to see all the lovely, lovely people that we all are.
    Joni

"Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free" Bob Dylan

I alternate avatars often between actual photos and cartoon characters. I think it gives members a break from looking at my mug to often.
    Super Mod

Oh God, Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

The Breton Fisherman's Prayer was engraved on a brass plaque and presented to President John F. Kennedy by US Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover.

Daintre, gone but not forgotten, R.I.P. Angel xx

Tamara

The only thought I had about posting my pic was "If I can't be open with these people who can I be open with" and so far everyone here has been wonderful. love ya all.
    Be yourself society doesn't know that there is no such thing as being normal.

If you can't find the silver lining make your own.

Silver Member
    When I first joined this site a little over two months ago I did not have the nerve to post a pic in my avatar. After two months of reading hundreds of threads and starting a few of my own I lost that inhibition that prevented me from showing my face. There have been other threads on this same subject and it is good to see this subject disscussed here again. Reading threads like this one gave me the inspiration to post my first pic here on this site. It is a decision I am happy I made.

It's great to see everyone's photo!

I came out in '96, so posting a real image hasn't been an issue. Now unfortunately I'm kinda slammed back into the closet, but I can still use my own photos. Current one is a few years old, but it's real. The only issue is with my wife.
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I'm not in the military, but too many people know my face to show it openly. Doing so could not only hurt my career, (yes I am still working) but also damage my reputation with the church groups I work with. Not all of them are as Christian as they would have one believe!

If you can identify me by my avatar, more power to you!

Sissy/Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    When I first started on the net it took me a while, now I do not care if my photo is seen since for the most part most of us do look 180 deg different.

Took me a couple minutes.... lol and thousands of photos and movies later...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Down into the Easy Chair SweetCaroline's Avatar
    I use the most feminine pic I have. It was taken after a transgendered Fashion show I was in.

I don't care if any one I know from RL recognizes me. I'd just ask them what they are doing hanging out about TG sites. ???
    Last edited by SweetCaroline; 06-20-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    Caroline Emily
    Co-Moderator
    SISTERS FAMILY

Gardner Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_gardner/
    Worcester Chapter
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sisters_of_worcester/

Family is the most important thing in the World.

Since I am well known in the industry I work in, I won't be using real photos. Hope everyone here understands.

I flirt with the idea of putting my pic up all the time and I actually do put it in my album every now and then and then take it down.Before I post a permanent pic as my avatar I want it to look totally different than me in male mode.I mean I want to be so far away from my male look that there would not even be a slight hint. The other side of the coin is really my own personal fear of doing it ,and I will eventually come to terms with it.I am really appreciative of everyone who does put their's up because it keeps me in a positive mood about it .hopefully I will get what I want out of my photos and post a good avatar in the near future.