Thread: Funny how it is.....

Funny how it is.....

My job takes me to building sites and often you overhear a comment or two. I was walking around in drab, Safety Boots, helmet and Bright Yellow Florescent bib, but with my man bag slung over my shoulder.

I overhear one builder say to the other "Woman, definately" Obviously marked me down as bent or something!

But a couple of minutes later it struck me if I had of walked past in a wig, summer dress and slingback shoes, they would have said "Man, definately!"

Funny old world...

It all depends upon the key feature that they notice. From a comment the guy behind me in the Wal-mart Checkout made to the guy cashier, I was probably judged opposite until I spoke. I did have wedges on but, normal for me otherwise.

When we break the rules of the universe, in any way, but especially pertaining to gender roles, people get nervous. Pointing out, or possibly making some fun of the rule breakers, makes people feel like they're still a member of the "normal" club. Pointing out to others that they are a member is a very important part of this. It also makes them feel smart and clever. when some idiot says "hey dude" to me, yeah he's trying to embarrass me(he can't!) but he's also congratulating himself for being such a darn genius. lol

Hugs,

Melissa
    What's the point of instruments, words are a sawed off shotgun-Radiohead

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/melissa.c.keiper