Thread: Acceptance and Tolerance Around the World

Girlygirl Tomboy Wannabee Toni_Lynn's Avatar

Acceptance and Tolerance Around the World

To begin this thread..allow me to say to the mods that I am unsure where to post this. Apologies in advance if it is in the wrong place.

The recent release of version 3.0 of the Firefox web browser was tracked and stats on how many downloads occurred in each country. I was surprised that it was downloaded in some pretty out of the way places.

So that got me thinking about crossdressers. I realise in the west, or first world if you will, we as crossdressers enjoy a relatively high degree of freedom. Certainly in nations such as the USA, Canada, the UK, and Australia, and throughout western Europe we can pretty much just be with little or no oppression.

But I wonder about elsewhere. In looking over the survey conducted here, I can see that we are from everywhere. So, I have to ask, how is it for crossdressers in places such as the Middle East, South Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, etc.

When I think about it, I get sad to think that in some places a crossdresser's life is filled with fear.

I want to limit this to crossdressers only and not transsexuals, because I think that it is possible that one could be tolerated and the other not, but then I don't know. It goes without saying that the purpose of this question is not to bash any political system or religion tat may predominate in any area.

Certainly, if you live in any of these areas, please tell us -- how is it for you? Can you go out freely? If you have an SO or found an SO in your country how likely to accept is she? Can you shop openly for femme items?

Heavy stuff for a Sunday morning, eh?

Huggles

Toni-Lynn
    --I'm TN (transnationalist) - a Canadian born in an American's body! I stand on guard for thee!

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    There were recent reports of crossdressers being arrested and mistreated in IIRC Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates.

Gone
    Turkey is a bad place. I read some awful stuff about police tourturing cders there.

No doubt they will grin their way into the EU though....

pah!

Even in the West, it depends on the subculture. In the redneck or biker world's, you'll get beat up.

there is a degree of tolerance and acceptance in the west but you have still got to be very careful about where and when you go

mitch