Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Eddie 'Lizzard' Izzard doing so well?

Why is Eddie 'Lizzard' Izzard doing so well?

I hear a lot of people on here express their frustration and misunderstanding of why crossdressers are put much lower and are seen as more disgraceful than homosexual men. I recently thought of the very popular and globally reputable Eddie Izzard who is a stand up comedian who does his shows while crossdressing. It's not a part of his acts, but rather a part of himself, a part of us. And rather than him being booed off the stage (or beaten to death), he makes his crowds laugh just like the audience of any other popular comedy act. I was dumbfound when I first watched one of his shows' videos. I noticed him wearing a black leather suit and assumed that he was gay. Fine by me, he's funny. But then I looked lower and saw his matching heels. WTF. I didn't mind, but nor did the crowd, they focused on his jokes. They loved him.

My question is do you think there is a double standard or do crossdressers just need more of the limelight to be properly recognised and assessed?
    My theory about gay people and couples being more socially accepted is that because they are seen much more commonly, heterosexuals and homophobics have come to realize that they're not that bad after all. Everyone knows what a gay; queer; pufter; faggot looks like. Us CD's on the other hand are quite exotic in comparison. You think about it, a non-CDing person sees a rare Ferrari on the road they see as much of it as they can - they see a person walking down the street who they have confirmed is a crossdresser they do the same. We're fascinating to other people.
    Last edited by satin_luva; 06-28-2008 at 10:42 AM.

Its not about double standards its just about society 'accepted norms'.

Move back in time and slavery was accepted (and generally acceptable) in Europe and the US. Many people would have been offended and indignant if you had said they were not christian - Hell I treat my slaves in a christian way.

Pre 1950s being gay or lesbian was considered wrong, in the UK it was actually illegal.

We now live in times where the 'accepted norms' have shifted. Certainly Slavery is seen for the terrible evil it was, but there are many people (generally older but not exclusively) who have still to become comfortable (not the right word but you get the drift) with gay and lesbian issues. In perhaps 20 years I'm sure this will have dissolved and they will have the near universal acceptance that is their right.

Clearly CDing has not yet undergone that social acceptance yet.

Eddie Izzard (and entertainers like him) whether real Cders, or doing it as part of the act, are just entertaining.

I'm sure many people are fascinated by a CD. I guess that fascination has to start to become "and why shouldn't they do that if they want to"
    state of mind before the we will start to enter the 'accepted norm' state .

Strange thing...

My ex wife likes Eddie Izzard, but hated the idea of me crossdressing!!!
    How does that work then?

Famous, rich people can get away with it..... eccentric.... we can't....

To the public in general crossdressing is funny... So take a guy.. Dress him up and do stand-up comedy with a british accent and you have a hit.. Typical Aunty Beeb.. Python, Benny Hill... The Two Ronnies.. Damn Edna... Its funny british crossdressing humor... And it sells...

I love him. And he did very well with "The Riches". Although he didn't crossdress they had a son that was tg on the show..

Like I said.. It sells great as entertainment on the tellie... But not so great when its in your bedroom!! Lol
    Last edited by Karren H; 06-28-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I have been wearing more and more female clothing, my voice is a guys voice and I do not try to lower it. I do believe that most people do not mind us when they are alone, but get them with friends or with their kids and things can turn bad real quick. You are a target for groups guys trying to be more manly, you are a real threat to them. As for a father with his son, the father does not want his son to end up in Female clothing so you will be put down for it in front of his kid, or kids, they say it just ain't right and we get put in the queer or gay group. Even though we are just trying to be ourselves. Stay away from these situaltions they can turn ugly real fast.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

It has to do with context. A crossdresser on TV is harmless. Finding out that you are married to one can be world shattering. The hillbillies around here would probably have a good laugh at an Eddie Izzard video, but they might run his a$$ over if they caught him walking down the road here - but that might only be because of his funny accent.

When I lived in Baltimore in the 70s, I lived in an area full of leftist, hippies, bohemians and avant garde artsy-fartsy types (oh yeah, bums and drug addicts too). Gays and TS/TVs were common in the area and many of them were prostitutes. No one there would bat an eye even if a very unpassable CD walked by. Public weirdness was OK in that context. Up here people are just as weird, if not more so, but tradition requires that you keep it to yourself. It's OK to smash traditions on TV -- that's entertainment, but in real life do it at your own peril.

Believe it or not, I actually discussed this very question with Eddie himself, after I saw him in a play in Manhattan.

First of all, Eddie came out in England, just as he was gaining acceptance as a comedian. Although England is far more tolerant of CDs, Eddie did make a very brave decision in coming out as a CD on his own terms, rather than be outed by the press.

He himself says that his attitude about his CDing greatly affects those around him, including an audience. By being positive and RELAXED AND GROOVY, he sets the tone. Almost always, if he is relaxed, then those around him become relaxed, too.

What he and I discussed most was how difficult it is here in the states for him to get it across to producers (for his strong desire to be an actor and get serious roles rather than comedic ones) to see him as an ACTOR rather than a CHARACTER. I guess that's why Eddie sports a beard now-a-days and hasn't been seen out en femme in a few years.

Some accuse Eddie of selling out his femme side to be an actor, but I believe he regards it as the usual ebb and flow of life.

In any case, Eddie has always encouraged others in Hollywood to come out as CD. He himself, even in his recent DRAB stage, will easily and confidently talk about the fact that his is a CD on any chat show or in any interview. 'That's my sexuality, man!'

P.S. In person, Eddie has the bluest eyes and he smells good, too.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Eddie Izzard

Funny thing is, well not funny actually, We just went to see Eddie Izzard in Concert here in Miami and honestly it was not funny at all.

Was basically two hours of animal sounds over and over again.

I am not sure if he would have been any better if he was wearing his heels but I have see him dressed and in drab in several Cable specials
    of his and he was incredibly funny.

Don't think we will see him again considering the tix were 70 bucks a piece.

Thanks for shedding some light for me.

Ouch, Karen. I guess Susandrea summed it up, he is in a phase of not going out anywhere enfemme and that's what makes him tick.

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenCDFL View Post
    Funny thing is, well not funny actually, We just went to see Eddie Izzard in Concert here in Miami and honestly it was not funny at all.

Was basically two hours of animal sounds over and over again.

I am not sure if he would have been any better if he was wearing his heels but I have see him dressed and in drab in several Cable specials
    of his and he was incredibly funny.

Don't think we will see him again considering the tix were 70 bucks a piece.
    Comedians have off-days. I recently saw Claire Hooper perform literally over the road from my house as part of a comedy tour. She wasn't very funny that night at all, all the other comedians were far funnier. However I've seen her on tv on the Sideshow and Good News Week and regularly found her very funny, much funnier than she was this one time.

I must say i really like Eddie's comedy when I've seen it on tv (the Darth Vader cafeteria sketch is an all-time classic as well as the death or cake one) and i hope this was just one off day. I also like all Eddies film performances I've seen. I hope we see Eddie in heels etc often again too.

I think it might have something to do with confidence, he is'nt shy about the subject and people respect him for it.

I mean it does take some confidence to get on stage in drag infront of thousands of people!!

As with the other BBC so called comedy offerings like The Two Ronnies, Benny Hill etc.. all they have done is the complete opposite, they make a mockery of crossdressing for a cheap laugh, give it a bad image and give all those haters out there some ammunition. I absolutely hate that.

We need more people like Eddie in the media to give us CD'ers a better image, to show all the haters we are normal just like them and maybe society and acceptance will change over time.

Dee.

I well remember Eddie Izzard coming on TV at the start of his career. It was on a chat show, and he discussed his nail polish with the show host. The next day in work, all people could talk about was this queer who openly admitted to wearing womens clothes!!
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]"You can have my stilletoes when you can prise them from my cold, dead feet"

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by satin_luva View Post
    I noticed him wearing a black leather suit and assumed that he was gay. Fine by me, he's funny. But then I looked lower and saw his matching heels. WTF.

My theory about gay people and couples being more socially accepted is that because they are seen much more commonly, heterosexuals and homophobics have come to realize that they're not that bad after all. .
    I hate to be the one in the bunch to start this but....... why does a leather suit make you assume someone is gay? Fine by you? Gosh did he ask your approval? Yep you saw his matching heals and thought WTF........? You a crossdresser yourself thought WTF? I don't understand. Do you not long for acceptance from other people? How can you even let those thoughts enter your mind until you start practicing what you so deeply want.

My theory about gay people and couples being more socially accepted is that because they are seen much more commonly, heterosexuals and homophobics have come to realize that they're not that bad after all.

I for one and a heterosexual person and have NEVER thought, "Hey they might be gay but they are a great person!" (said like Gomer Pile) How many homosexual people do you know that are homophobic?

Everyone knows what a gay; queer; pufter; faggot looks like

Now exactly, What do this list of extremely disgusting adjectives mean? I don't know what any gay man looks like, heck they look just like everyone else to me. I don't even want to know what queer or pufter means to you but FAGGOT is a bunch of sticks to BURN.

I am totally offended....... and saddened by the fact that I was the only one who said something.

Kris
    [SIZE="3"]
    I'm BACK..... I miss you all so much!!
    [/SIZE]

Learning, growing, living brookalicious's Avatar
    I had a very very gay friend of mine tell me one time:

"There is nothing more powerful than your masculinity."

And he was right. He was a powerful strong gay man, and other guys just flocked to him. When I told him that I enjoyed putting on women's clothes, I expected him to be fully accepting, but he laughed out loud and said that I was waiting to be someone's "bitch." (Mind you, we're very good friends so he could say this without offending me.)

But it made me realize that our masculinity is at the heart of what it means to be a CD. For whatever reason, we've chosen to give that up in flagrant violation of social norms. I don't think anyone outside of the community understands why we do it, but that's what it means for a guy like Eddie Izzard to be so popular. People aren't laughing *with* him, they're laughing *at* him, and subconciously promoting stereotypes that we all want to avoid.

For me, well, I watched his show once until my whole family started calling it the "gay dude comedian".

Quite frankly I want more than that... (plus a little feminity to boot.) LOL

Brooke
    ~b~

Winning!

"Even a hunter cannot kill a bird which flies to him for refuge."
    Chiune Sugihara

Quote Originally Posted by brookalicious View Post
    People aren't laughing *with* him, they're laughing *at* him, and subconciously promoting stereotypes that we all want to avoid.

For me, well, I watched his show once until my whole family started calling it the "gay dude comedian".

Brooke
    Brooke,

I so don't agree with you at all. Eddie Izzard shows you can be a crossdresser, a heterosexual man, and very very intelligent. Your family are bigots and shouldn't be allowed out in public, in my opinion.

Kris
    [SIZE="3"]
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I am totally offended....... and saddened by the fact that I was the only one who said something.
    I'm just tired of saying it over and over, Kris. Glad to pass the torch to someone else while I take a rum break over here in the corner.

As Victor Lazlo said to Rick Blaine, "welcome back to the fight".
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

Kris
    Good points Kris!

I honestly didn't notice the part of the original post that says:
    My theory about gay people and couples being more socially accepted is that because they are seen much more commonly, heterosexuals and homophobics have come to realize that they're not that bad after all. Everyone knows what a gay; queer; pufter; faggot looks like. Us CD's on the other hand are quite exotic in comparison. You think about it, a non-CDing person sees a rare Ferrari on the road they see as much of it as they can - they see a person walking down the street who they have confirmed is a crossdresser they do the same. We're fascinating to other people.
    I don't know if it was added in an edit or whether I skimmed part of the post and missed it (this is rather likely especially with the cognitive symptoms of my CFS which are flaring up at the moment). Rest assured if I'd noticed that paragraphs contents i would have spoken up and I apologise for not doing so anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by battybattybats View Post
    I apologise for not doing so anyway.
    No need to apologize, we all screw up sometimes.

But I know you well enough to say that I am sure you would have said something had you read it thoroughly.

Dang I missed you!!

Kris
    [SIZE="3"]
    [/SIZE]

Kris, either I have screwed up my thread starter badly or you have simply misunderstood me.
    When I first saw him on video I was very surprised to see a man in womens clothes being adored by the crowd, I hadn't seen anything like it before. It indeed was a very good thing to see.

Secondly, the assumption of him being gay by wearing the leather suit was an unethical, uneducated one. I now know he is straight, but at the time when I saw the video I did not know he was a crossdresser by heart and knowing that there are quite a few homosexual men and women in the comedy industry who are highly popular and respected I thought he was gay. "Fine by me" was just to say that I accepted still, accept and will accept homosexuals. Hell, I've had fantasies of giving oral to a man myself.
    Now, how dumb would it be of me to say something that meant that I disrespected Eddie or any person who crossdressed, because they crossdressed? You should have thought that there was a syntax error there on behalf of me. I came to this site to ask questions, help people out and engage in what truly is a part of me; crossdressing.

The reason why I wrote what is in the second paragraph is that because there are a lot of threads and posts on this forum which refer to the frustration and misunderstanding of why we (crossdressers) are still disrespected and not socially accepted as much as we deserve to be. I was simply expressing my theory as to why homosexual men have excelled past crossdressers in the social ranks.

As for the list of common names for homosexual people, after I had posted the thread I saw same things that I knew I had to change. One of the those things was the justification of why I would put those 'labels' in.
    The reason is that a lot of people in the recent past (particularly young people) would see some homosexual people during a long period of time, and the prominent ones would be the ones that acted a bit feminine, dressed flamboyantly, perhaps had a specific ring to their voice (ie Carson Krestly) and maybe crossdressed and it was people who did things like these who got those 'labels'. My point on that is that because with time people would become burnt out of using those stereotypes and/or came to the conclusion that people who have those and various, similar other characteristics in which, some people still use to determine a persons sexuality, might actually be completely heterosexual afterall and that people who have those features regardless of sexuality are generally good, respectable people.

What ever happened, I'm sorry that you were given the wrong idea. To sum it all up, I do accept homosexuals, I do love crossdressing, I know Eddie is straight and I do not endorse the labels I quoted.

If you're still unsure of anything, don't hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by satin_luva; 06-30-2008 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deborah jane View Post
    My ex wife likes Eddie Izzard, but hated the idea of me crossdressing!!!
    How does that work then?
    Hi Deborah jane,
    Quite simple really, Eddie Izzard isn't married to her. I have lots of gay friends but wouldn't like one as a partner.
    Take care
    Bev

I wonder if there is any truth in the fact that CDs who are able to laugh at themselves and not take life to seriously appear to be the ones that everyone loves and accepts. I have said this before so sorry for being a bore. But one of my best friends is a drag queen. He goes to his local pub dressed, takes his wig off, lights up a cigar, drinks his pint and has a laugh with everyone. He is everso popular, (well his wife isn't that chuffed), but no one in that tiny out of the way village pub judges him, and if they do make him the butt of their jokes he fires back in the most positive way.
    Realistically I suppose most CDs wouldn't have the courage to do that and hide away, which gives people their cue to poke fun.
    Bev

satin_luva, the trouble is when you said:
    Everyone knows what a gay; queer; pufter; faggot looks like. Us CD's on the other hand are quite exotic in comparison.
    It just comes across plain offensively.

That may not have been your intention but that is the way it reads.

Being pro-gay yourself doesn't mean you can't make mistakes in your communication, it is the words people read that they judge by not the intent they can't see. And gay people too can be homophobic to varying degrees too.

Eddie Izzard has pointed out many times that he has an advantage working in the media.
    Girls who are boys, Who like boys to be girls, Who do boys like they're girls, Who do girls like they're boys, Always should be someone you really love

Thumbs up eddie.

i'd just like to say that aparently eddie izzard plays to full houses all over the world, and the fact that not meany people, are not aware that he cross dresses, then may be they fill his concerts becouse they like his humour,and at the same time he is getting his point accross that after all we are all the same just human beings with little diversities, he makes me role about with laughter.
    stevie 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bev06 GG View Post
    Hi Deborah jane,
    Quite simple really, Eddie Izzard isn't married to her.
    Take care
    Bev
    Good point Bev

I guess i learnt the hard way with my ex,...
    Next time time i meet someone i want to tell, i,ll dress in drag and try and make her laugh while i,m telling her i,m a c/der

If nothing else, she,ll laugh at me dressed up
    Last edited by Deborah Jane; 06-30-2008 at 01:07 PM.