Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Daughter Rosie

Hi Folks,
    I'd forgotten about this thread. I suppose thinking about it we all have to find our way in life and where we sit in society. Its a difficult enough job as it is without someone else telling us what we are supposed to do. I have made too many mistakes with my own life without risking messing someone elses up so i leave it to them. Not to mess it up, but to hopefully make the right choices and be content with who they are and if they do make mistakes just being there to help bail them out.
    I think the world would definitely be a better place if we all concentrated on our own walk in life rather than judging others. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best for our loved ones, but because we can only see a very small picture of the whole we aren't really in a position to say just what that is. I think accepting someone for who they are and not who you think they should be is one of greatest favours you could do for anyone And if its someone you love then what a wonderful way to demonstrate that. UNCONDITIONAL LOVE is one of those gifts that when you give it you stand a pretty good chance of getting it back, and if for any reason you dont it is never wasted because it blesses your own life too.
    Take care
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by ZenFrost View Post
    As far as the nature vs. nurture debate about TG people, I do not believe it. The reason being that though some TG people have has supported families and some have had families that were very unsupportive yet are still TG.
    what you have to remember about nurture is that it encompasses all influences in growing up. The fact that ones parents do not accept a characteristic dosnt mean the individual was not exposed to something that influenced them in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by tvbeckytv View Post
    what you have to remember about nurture is that it encompasses all influences in growing up. The fact that ones parents do not accept a characteristic dosnt mean the individual was not exposed to something that influenced them in some way.
    Yes, but to say TG behavior is environment-dependent would require that all TG people have some sort of similar experience as children. And so many of us come from such different childhoods, for us to have a shared experience, it would have to be so broad/common that many, many people who aren't TG also had a similar experience.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

I believe Bev that we all could be a lot happier in life if we could just be who we are inside. I know since I have been coming out more and more that I just feel wonderful about everything. You said your daughter is a very person, I think it is because she can be who she wants to be without being pushed into one role or another. She may with time turn out to be one of the worlds most important Ladies, just because you let her be who she really is.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Wow, how did I miss this thread? In my case the "nurture" side of the argument was that my parents realised early on that I was not your typical girl, and did EVERYTHING they could to crush the "non-girly" stuff and force me to conform to the stereotypical girl mold. This also included such a restrictive influence that I was NOT permitted to play with boys at ALL, and until I was in my 30s I had NO idea that transfolk even existed because in our house "that sort of thing" was never discussed or even mentioned and there was absolutely NO exposure to it whatsoever.

This is exactly why it took me 37 years to realise that I am male - because until about 4 years ago I had no idea that gender even COULD be an issue, and until about a month before I came out last year, I had no idea that being trans went both ways, not just MtF!! So I too am sceptical about the "nurture" part of things.

I believe that no matter what you do, the "nature" is going to prevail anyway, so you might as well allow a child the freedom to explore and express themselves in whatever way they choose (within reason as long as it's appropriate of course) because they will be whatever they are, and if you try to change that, you are just going to make it harder and more traumatic for them to be themselves (and it will take longer).
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]