Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Changing my femme name

Stay as Emily, it's a lovely name.

Banned Read only
    I initially went with Kimberley. But I changed it to Kimmie because it seems more playful and reflected an aspect of my personally that I don't get to express as a guy.

On another occasion I was playing poker, and at the table I nailed a guy for alot of money because I instinctively knew what cards he had, called him on it after he put all his money in and lost. After he mucked I introduced myself as Clair, Clair-Voyant. If I do the drag queen thing. I might go with that.

I'd have to vote for sticking with Emily as well. The thing about names is their popularity shifts with the wind. Think about the names bestowed upon our grandparents. Some of those are pretty funky and I doubt would be a top choice for use by a TG girl. However, there are a lot of new-age names which are so cute for a child but would be hard to picture on a grandparent. While I suppose we have the luxury of changing our name as we go through stages in life, we certainly don't have to. I'm all for finding the right name and sticking with it, especially if it has become part of your identity. Emily may sound young but I don't think it's any less appropriate for use at any age.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Anderson View Post
    Thanks to everyone for responding!

I was thinking of changing it because I thought it sounded too young for my age (mid-forties), but indeed GG's do not change their name, so why should I?

Besides, thanks to your positive feedback it sounds like a name people appreciate, so I'll stick with it.
    Mid 40's? I'm in my young 40's and love dressing sexy. Emily, we are still young,girlfriend. Emily is a nice name,keep it.

Felicity
    "Its now official,my femme name is Felicity"

Have to drink to that.

"Proud To Be My Wife's Part Time Wife"

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar

Still Young And How

[SIZE=4]From my exalted age (73) 40 looks like a teenager!! Who am I to talk, my SO is 32. (Cradle Robber!!)

But honestly I feel and look more like 40's or (yeah-50"s, I hate to admit it!)

I don't think since GG's change their names except when they get married and then only their last names, there is any reason to change your name even as a CD, since people get used to you by that name. And if you do change your close people will slip and call you by your old name frequently.

After a year, my sister still slips sometimes and uses my male name.

One thing I really like that had bugged me all my life, was that I went by my middle name, until I got involved with social security then had to use my first name I didn't like, since they go by your full name; but now my first name is the name I use.

The name chose me, I had set up the email in that name months before I knew I was really female. And when I trasitioned, I just KNEW that was my name. I do think I may have originally gotten it from Lainie Kazan, whose name I liked, but there are other coincidences I later realized:
    I had a gf at 20-22 named Laney, I had a friend named Laney, mother of a student, my first love was Elaine, reversal of the sounds is Lainie, and 54 years later we are still in touch. My mother treated her like another daughter all her life.

Emily you have a beautiful name and it doesn't go with a particular age. Look at the famous Emily's in poetry, literature. I had an aunt named Emily.

Bev, one of my most admired friends in my 20's to 70's was named Beverly, she was named after a male banker named Beverly according to her father, my surrogate father. I shudder to think of how old she is now, late 80's I would guess. I always thought Beverly was a beautiful name.

I also have a favorite person named Vanessa also, and I think that is one of the prettiest of names. She is one of the prettiest of girls in my book.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Empress Lainie; 07-26-2008 at 11:23 AM.
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Emily I suppose the name is what you make of it. Emily sounds perfectly lovely, although a Maxine sounds so much more flashy. I would ask you what your dressing style is?

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    I changed my name after a 5 year break, before that in my teens I had 2 names which where Marcia (Mar-Cee-A) age 12-18, Connie age 18-24, and now Victoria 1999-, I have no intentions on changing my name.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Stay with Emily, it's a classy name.

Silver Member victoriamwilliams1's Avatar
    Keep your name, after thinking a little more you could always have a nick name.

Ivy
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriamwilliams1 View Post
    Keep your name, after thinking a little more you could always have a nick name.
    Yes, I sometimes like that people have taken to calling me "Val" here. If I were to 100% come out of the closet, I would probably change my female name to something closer to my boy name, if nothing else, it makes answering the phone easier

I'm on my second name. I went with Emma originally because someone asked me and I didn't have a name yet so I just blurted it out. Years later, coming back from a hiatus, I decided on Kayla. But who knows if this will last many more years or I'll see another reason to change it.
    [SIZE="3"] + = Kayla Glass[/SIZE]

Eugenie and Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Bev06 GG View Post
    I have just looked and we only have one Eugenie and Im not sure if she's still around. So there you go its not only pretty and Royal, it is also uncommon.
    Bev

Yes, our Eugenie is not so present in this forum in these days as she used to. As a french woman, she has also got a french name. Whereas I'm a french girl too ... but not with a french name !

Coming back to our Emily, I appreciate very much this name of Emily. It find it absolutely lovely, as many of us here do, and I am very pleased she is decided to stick with it.

Hugs

Nadia