Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What prevents u from fully transitioning?

Aspiring Member
    because I don't want to

I may, I've not ruled anything out. But I'm not ready yet. Its as simple as that. I am not unhappy in my male self so that makes it a real tricky decision.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Having done a little bit of research, I find that, after all the "shrink" sessions, the cost of a complete new wardrobe, surgery and everything else involved it works out at around $75 K or so. Almost the cost of a luxury car.
    I could afford the "cost" BUT do I want to "pay the price" ???
    Loss of family, friends, job, having to move someplace else where nobody knows you and start all over.
    Besides that The one lingering question remains for me, "What if I change my mind later?" Can't sew it back on.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I like being able to pee standing up.

I knew at age 9 I wanted to be a girl. I remember painting my nails at age 4. But I never did anything about it and am entrenched in the life I have, with children I could never face. So it is what it is. But it is getting harder and harder!

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    For those who are considering a full transition. I would encourage you to find a post-op TS and talk to them at length about their experiences. I'm lucky, I have such a person as a close friend. She even gives talks to groups and classes, it can be very enlightening to hear their stories and be able to ask direct questions.

C.

Ah yes...

One of the things that made me sure about not wanting to transition is that scene, many years ago, in a restroom when I ran into an old CD-ing friend.

(S)He was so excited about the results of his recent genital surgery that he just dropped his panties and displayed - without even asking if I wanted to see.... I was revolted at what was a distasteful sight. I turned away, almost instantly and asked him to stop.

What I know about that is I do not want to have anything to do with transitioning. ...just some dynamic inner instinct, I guess. I cannot explain it. It's just that way. What is unusual, is that my feeling about transitioning is very similar to what I imagine is going on the minds of "redneck" types who have really strong reactions to our crossdressing.

Rickie
    "Who's around your TV is more important than how big it is...." Dr. Phil
    http://profiles.urnotalone.com/54617
    http://www.frappr.com/?a=myphotos&id=1265395

I'll pass on that one...I'm not in the wrong body, just the wrong clothes.

Dee

Banned Read only
    I'm a crossdresser not a transexual. I have no desire to transition.

Thinking about it every day

I think about a full transition (srs) every day. I just haven't found a way to preserve my career and income while doing it. I hope one day soon to find a solution.

Woman and loving it Jennifer Marie P.'s Avatar
    I'm thinking about the transition but right now I'm happy the way I am

Well back in the olden days, 60s, women were not treated so well in the job market. They usually made low income or they married and had a husband support them. If discrimation exists now imagine what it was like then.
    I did not want to live a poor life. I dream alot about SRS but I am somewhat happy with the way things are.

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    The SO, career, family, and friends all are preventing me from transitioning. Those and FEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Bre Rue View Post
    Nothing is standing in my way any longer....So you know what that means gurls? Yep, I'm starting on my path. Wish me luck gurls
    OMG Bre, congrats!
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

If someone feels that they really must function sexually as a female, than a full transition makes sense. Otherwise, I just don't get it. One can live full time as a woman without any surgery. In any case I'm not interested and transition is not for me.
    Phoebe

There's an old joke...

Q: What's the difference between a crossdresser and a transsexual?

A: 2 years

No, not for me. At 6'4" I already stick out as a man, it would be worse as a woman. Even though I enjoy women's clothes, I don't think I would enjoy the glass ceiling and all the other things women have to put up with. You take a chance with breast cancer with hormones. There are too many things to give up and no guarantees.

Bre and others, I wish you all the best. I know you have a rough road ahead, I am amazed at your resolve and your abilities to follow that path.

Please take care, love Tracy
    Everybody's normal until you get to know them. - Tracy Schapes

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Blog: Tracy's Happy Place

Banned Read only
    I NEVER think of fully transitioning. I'm happy with who I am, and understand that crossdressing is just a part of my life... No need to push it further than it needs to go to live a fulfilling life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollyanne View Post
    for me, I very often daydream of transitioning, and the things that stop me are my age, my family commitments, my career commitments, not to mention the monetary factor. So this gurl has to be content with my "girl time" as is!!!! Actually it's not all that bad except for the fact I need a much"BIGGER CLOSET"

Mollyanne
    I'm in the same boat as you. I just wish I could clear those hurdles and just do it. Being in the closet with the wife is probably the biggest one - considering how badly I'd like to transistion. "Would've, could've, should've" - is the story of my life

I knew at an early age that I wanted to be female. Right now what`s holding me back is my job, and hurting family, maybe when I retire I can go all the way, always felt female inside and want to transision sometime, that1s what will make me happy & complete JENN

Lingering Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica212 View Post
    I contemplate transitioning all the time. A huge part of me wants to, but another part of me feels it would be better to hold back and remain a man, just one who dresses up as a woman often.

If I had zero constraints on me, I seriously might transition, and I would want to start it soon, because I would love to be a woman while still in my 20s (I'm 19 right now). But that certainly won't happen.

It's something I think about all the time, and generally something that I seriously contemplate every single time I dress. But I know it's not happening, whether I want it to or not.
    Surgery is expensive (though no more than a compact car, if all you need is SRS). But that can come later, if necessary.

In the meantime, the sooner you start HRT the better. You are still young enough that your skull is still masculinizing and your facial hair is still coming in. Starting an anti-androgen will stop all that. Also, as far as feminization and breast development goes, the sooner you start estrogen, the better.

Anyway, I'm afraid that the result of not transitioning now will just be a more painful (for everyone) transition 10 or 15 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica212 View Post
    I won't lie, I'm completely jealous! I really haven't heard of many people my age starting to transition.
    I know dozens and dozens of girls your age or younger who have started transition. I also know of a forum for younger transitioners. PM me if you are interested.

What's stopping me?

Death.

Yup. That's really about the only minor detail in my life that stops me from transitioning.

I can deal with my wife's divorcing me. I mean, really, I'm bringing up the thing that is the most wanted thing in my life here. I mean transitioning. I can perhaps find true love again.

This isn't something that I take as "sleigh of hand".

I've tried. Really, I have.

I have doctors' that refuse to talk to me because I've bugged the shit out of them. I've truly expended a serious amount of time with this.

Ok, yea, I can do the spiro thing.

Fine.

Christ, I'll be a hundred and twenty before enough of my estrogen challenged body catches up to itself on some kind of bell curve.

No hrt for me...Thanks. Want to but can't.

It's not a matter of lack of desire. I'm old enough and smart enough to not want to off myself over the pain that this tad little bit of thought has brought into my life. Maybe someday I'll be old enough to not cry over it as well. It's always good to look on the bright side of things as well (as per the last 2 head shrinks I've seen).

Please don't ask me if I'm at peace. I've been known to get ugly, and on a few occasions violent, on that point.

Sorry, my apologies, but this post really hits an aspect of my life that I constantly have to bury.

Over and over and over.

I'm crying. Why the hell I just posted this response on the internet escapes me. Maybe to let others in a similar situation know that they're not alone.

There are times when I think, buy the damn things off of the web. Heck, I can shove a syringe and needle full of Estrogen into my leg. I've done it a lot of times before. Yea, I could do that. I'd welcome that. it's like...

Freedom.
    Freedom from those gawd-awful situations and those damn things that happen in the middle of the night. It's gross. It's horrible. Why doesn't that stop after age 21? Or 30? Ok, 40?

I could do "phytoestrogens" again. I lost my driver's license for 3 months after ending up in the emergency room, after twitching on the floor in a Barnes & Nobles, in the throngs of a huge seizure.

Yea, I can wipe my sniveling nose and pretend that life is grand and that I can do whatever I want.

No...I can't.

It really, truly, doesn't matter to me. I would rather die trying to transition then to be what, or whom, I am now. I really would.

But I have 2 great kids. One is eighteen and knows all about me. We went to Pride a couple of weeks ago.The other is twelve and I know she's thinking I'm a little bit deranged.

That's ok. I have a kid who thinks I'm a little weird. We can always converse another day.

I don't have a kid who misses me.

That is what prevents me from transitioning. Yes, it's tough, and some days I cry all day long. I just have this feeling that, even on my worst days, they'd feel worse than I do, if I attempted it again.
    Last edited by Caitlintgsd; 08-06-2008 at 01:20 AM.

That is a good question. I think that I really have 2 large things that keep me from full transition. My wife has clearly stated that as she is not a lesbian if I decided to go fully femme she would have no choice but to leave. The second reason is really that I just don't have the build. I have wide shoulders and am too tall to appear truly female and honestly as much as I dislike certain parts of my body I would not be able to handle being built like a man with female parts some things just can't be changed with surgery.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

The only way I'd transition is if God changed me by a miracle into a real woman with periods and childbirth. I asked God at Lourdes to change me and his miracle workers laughed at me! [They read my mind!]

No surguries can make me a real woman! So I don't do it!

What prevents me from fully transitioning?

I,m awkward and confused, even on my "good" days....
    If i transitioned, i,d probably start dressing as a guy and want to transition back again

I,m saving myself the bother!!!
    Last edited by Deborah Jane; 08-06-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: gran ma

Ivy
    Most TS' I know feel they were in the wrong body. I'm fine being male, but I sometimes think I got the wrong brain.

I think the biggest fear I have is being alone. I have discussed this in depth with my therapist and of course it is rooted in other issues which have nothing to do with being T. I managed my career to the point where I am self-employed (albeit just starting out) and put enough cash away to pay for most surgical procedures needed. So, it is really an issue of getting over the fear of the unknown (being alone after transitioning) and facing that with eyes wide open.