I doubt that most of us could stop the urge or desire or whatever you want to call it, but a person can control the compulsion and the action if he or she has a strong enough reason. We can do -- or stop doing -- just about anything if we put our mind and will to it. I mean, people quit all sorts of strong habits all the time. They deal with adversity and live with loss without losing their minds. And I believe there are absolutely some justifiable reasons for walking away from crossdressing for the sake of something more important if there is an inherent and unsolvable conflict.

But ...

Judging from the stories I've heard on this Forum and elsewhere, it seems that quitting because another person can't handle it is pretty dicey. Personally, I think it's worth doing to save an otherwise good marriage or relationship, especially if the dressing is a relatively late development in a longterm relationship. But entering into a new relationship with such a secret seems to me to be a surefire recipe for trouble later on.

That said, I think love is a good enough reason to give up crossdressing if your need for love is stronger than your need to dress. But don't kid yourself, it is a sacrifice that will probably always be there in the background. But it is doable. You nust, however, be honest with yourself in judging just how strong your need for dressing is; if it's too much a part of you, you might be better off trying to find someone who can accept you for who and what you really are. You owe that not only to yourself, but to the other person too. It is wrong to plan on deceiving her with a secret life, and sooner or later she will find out, and hearts will be broken.