Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question - Open to Everyone

A Question - Open to Everyone

This question was posed to me this morning, and I thought both the question itself and his findings on the answer were very interesting. (I'll keep the implications of the answer to myself for now, to avoid contaminating the response pool.)

Would you rather be honored or cherished?

I'd like to hear why you picked a certain answer, but if you don't want to, you don't have to. I'm doing this as a thread rather than a poll because I want people to give me their answer after it's been thought through, not as an immediate button click.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

My parents say I live in my room. Like it's a BAD thing.
    I would love to be honored -- it would show that I have done something significant in life that deserves honor. That deserves people saying to me, "I am *honored* to make your acquaintance." It would mean that I've probably succeeded at whatever it was I set out to succeed at.

BUT.... even more than, I'd like to be cherished. So I'd RATHER be cherished.

It would mean that I was loved for me. That the people who cherished me cherished me because they honestly loved me and not what I've done.

Because when I'm not here anymore, if I was honored, I would be given a decent memorial of what a honorable, intelligent, great man I was.

If I were cherished, I would be missed because I was their Alan, because I was just a guy they knew and loved.

I know that honor and respect I will get -- my brains easily will get me where I want, and I have a mix of firmness and charming that gets things done -- but love I've always had a problem with, since I tend to push people away.

I hope that all made sense.
    Last edited by Alan; 08-14-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    Carol: Do you have any Equal?
    Peter: I'm sorry, I'm famous for having no equal. – Peter’s Friends

Prince George: Just let her know I am all man. With a bit of animal thrown in. Grr! -- Blackadder III

Dr. House: I don't know who's been gossiping about ethics instead of sex, but hopefully they're already fired.

Ivy
    Cherished.

To me, being honored comes from DOING something great. Cherished comes from BEING someone great. If you can get both, you've made it.

GypsyKaren
    To me, being honored is getting a nod for your accomplishments, which is well and good but totally unnecessary for me. Everything I've done for others are things that I expected of myself, such as putting my daughter through veterinary school, and I don't need or deserve a pat on the back for doing things I felt I should or wanted to do.

I want to be cherished, because to be cherished is to be loved, and to be loved means you're seen as a good person with a big heart, and it makes me feel good to know that others can see that in me.

Karen Starlene

Ingredient: 100% Attitude DemonicDaughter's Avatar

Cherished definitely!

Honored doesn't equate any form of love. Cherish implies it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="3"]"We're all born naked. Everything we wear is drag," said Boy George
    [/SIZE]

Oh geez, I don't know . . . let me get back to you on that.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    Oh geez, I don't know . . . let me get back to you on that.
    That's what I said!
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    That's what I said!
    Haha! That figures!
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

I'm with Alan who said it so well and the girlies, cherished.

Platinum Member

well to be honored and have people see what you have done to be put on a pedestal and honored ... might make a person feel good .... nothing can make you truly feel loved and special than to be cherished ........

guess what i saying is i would rather be cherished by one special person than be honored by thousands............

ooh i can't answer that properly, because i'm a meek individual, so i won't

cherished by your friends, honored by your fans. (a bit of both for groupies ect, you know how it is - sigh -)

but its like a kind of duality of recognition, i want love from those around me, and admiration for my "work" whatever that may be.
    so would i rather be cherished or honored? Nope! hehe x

At the moment, neither. I'd prefer to just be left alone. (of course, I'm also mad at whole bunch of people ATM)

Honored: Been there, done that, got a plaque. Whoop-de-do. Honor's overrated anyway.

Cherished: This I especially wouldn't want. If someone cherished me, then something happened to me, that person would be hurt. I'd rather be alone then do that to someone.
    Story of my life –>

Banned Read only
    Hell! Even bad apples get honors! Honors are propaganda to further a particular agenda. And honors lose their lustre usually. (I'm thinking of that big bronze statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down by the tank!) Honors? pfft!

To be cherished, even by just one, is the far, far better thing.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    Quote Originally Posted by deja true View Post
    Hell! Even bad apples get honors! Honors are propaganda to further a particular agenda. And honors lose their lustre usually. (I'm thinking of that big bronze statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down by the tank!) Honors? pfft!

To be cherished, even by just one, is the far, far better thing.
    Deja, I don't know a better way to say it.
    Dana Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyKaren View Post

I want to be cherished, because to be cherished is to be loved, and to be loved means you're seen as a good person with a big heart, and it makes me feel good to know that others can see that in me.
    I hope you don't mind Karen, but your words so aptly describe my feelings. Thank You!! for putting it so succinctly

Lora

All I want is a world somewhere, a place to wear pretty underwear
    A dress, some makeup, hose and heels
    OH wouldn't it be loverly

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"---Helen Keller

Okay I've thought about it, and I'm gonna take what's behind door number three, Monty. I'm gonna go with Zen's answer and say neither - though I reserve the right to amend my answer later, if I want (sorry, I watched too much Perry Mason as a kid ).

Being honored doesn't necessarily mean much - that and $2 will get me on the subway. And love . . . well, that's a whole other kettle of fish I don't want to get into at the moment. So I'm gonna choose a different option that wasn't offered - I prefer to be respected. How's that?

Alan put it very well...

Cherished for who I really am/Loved for being ME.

I'm posting my answer before reading the thread so I won't be influenced by what others have written. I'll read the rest afterward (and perhaps change my mind... and girl's perogative!)

My answer is based upon what my definitions of the words are. To be honored, in my opinion, is more of an ego thing. In a way, it is the same as saying 'others acknowledge that I am better than they are'. It is about what I have DONE, not who I AM. I think being honored is a less personal thing, more of a social construct.

To be cherished is about ME. My 'soul' if you will. I don't think you can be cherished without being really *known* by others, so see the entire person, flaws and all, and accepts you as you are.

Looking back at my life, I have striven to be 'honored' many many times. When I first read the question, I thought 'honored' right away... then started thinking it through.

It didn't take me more than a minute to realize that 'cherrished' is the answer for me. I think, in the end, that it means more.

BTW: EXCELLENT question, thank you for making me think.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Cherished.... Honoured seems a public thing, Cherished is likly to be more private. More like being loved.

Fondest,

Jane

Hmmmm........

I have thought long and hard about this one. The result is a headache lol.

Seriously being honoured would be nice but its a little too fleeting for me, being cherished would be a good place to be but I wonder if I could handle it.

I think deep down we all want to be loved or cherished but if we actually were truly truly cherished could we accept it?

I find it easy to give of myself but not so easy to accept these things from other people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hey you with the pretty face welcome to the human race, a celebration, Mr. Blue Sky's up there waiting and today is the day we've waited for.

Rapidly becoming a Gender Equality Duty expert (Europe)

Ideally both, of course. But if I can only have one I might pick honored. It's about the respect in alot of ways for me. Because my boyfriend cherishes me, there's no doubting it, but he really doesnt seem to know how to honor me and my feelings, and the rest of the relationship goes downhill from there....Or maybe Im just hypercritical. Either way.
    Try to relax and enjoy the crisis.

Why can't we aim for both?

But of the two, being loved seems to me the most important..
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    i think i like Ivy's answer so maybe that's a copout but its a fine answer

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post

I'd like to hear why you picked a certain answer, but if you don't want to, you don't have to. I'm doing this as a thread rather than a poll because I want people to give me their answer after it's been thought through, not as an immediate button click.
    Is that before, or after your dead? I pick neither, sometimes doing what's right for the best of others leaves you out, but your soul can rest.

I like rest.

For me it's easy - cherished