Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "You throw like a girl"

"You throw like a girl"

How many of us heard that when we were growing up? I sure did, until a kindly coach taught me how to throw a baseball...it all came back to me yesterday when I was laying out in my skirtini at a hotel pool, some guys were tossing a ball around in the water, I paid them no mind until I heard them calling, "Miss!" I looked down and there was their ball, right beside my loungechair! So I picked it up and was about to toss it back to them when some instinct saved me, and I reverted to the girlish throwing style from way back when...funny how those old, painful memories come back, in this case I was glad they did!

I always felt like a girl inside but I was gifted as a young boy in that I was athletic and yes I could throw a baseball hard, fast and pretty accurate!

So that saying never applied to me!

I always threw like a boy!

I love baseball!

emmi

Ive always hated sports, and yes I throw like a girl Even my sister keeps saying it to me whenever I fail HARD to throw something to/at her.

Whenever I play airsoft (battle simulation), I never use grenades at all...I am more dangerous to my own team than the opposition. If theres the merest chance that I could misjudge it, it roll along a girder, hit a support beam, flick back and land down the back of my shirt - you can guarantee that thats just what it'll do

The guy w/a girly twist Michelly's Avatar

I remember

I remember that saying in the movie" The Sand Lot"

Although I did not throw like a girl I still could never throw very well, or hit the ball with a bat, or dribble, or shoot a basket, or putt. My athletic abilities were very amusing to the other guys in my pe classes.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Tammy's Transsexual girl. Joan Merrie's Avatar
    Yes, I remember it well. Always the last to be picked for a team. But if they had target shooting in school, then I would have excelled in gym class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tammy and me, not your usual couple
    :JoanMerrie:Yes I admit it I'm a trans rabbit.
    Simply me.

I was never told I throw like a girl, but I was told that I walk like a girl
    I was so embarassed and had to try and walk manly. Now when I dress up I can do the walk.

I might throw like a girl but at least I can shoot 500 yards down range and hit the target dead on. How many coaches you know that can do that?
    Merry

HRT since 2009

Cissy, I too sucked at sports, and heard that a lot when I was in school. Now I'm with you on the painful memory thing, but it still can come in handy, like it did in your case.

Reading all the comments reminds me of something else, I am blessed with very long eyelashes and when I was little, friends of my mom were always saying, "what a shame they were wasted on a boy, you should have been a girl!" The power of suggestion?

(not a whale)
    My senior year in high school I was on one of the top racquetball teams in the nation. Also in elementary and middle school I attended a few basketball camps run by NBA players and coaches.

No athleticism difficulties here

Well at least you know how to throw like a girl. It kept you from getting outed hun.
    Angie

I feel your pain ladies! I've never been able to throw worth anything. This reminds me of the one and only time in the army that they let me throw a live grenade. It had a killing radius of 35 meters and a 4 second fuse. I pulled the pin and threw it as hard as I could. It bounced out about 10 feet or so. The sergeant grabbed me and pulled me down behind the concrete wall. The grenade went kaboom and this huge cloud of rocks and dirt started falling all around us. The only thing the sergeant could say was "Damn! Damn!" They never let me throw another one.
    Lotsa Hugs,

--Pam

I was good at sports. Little League baseball designated hitter, 6 to 8th grade Basketball team starter, bmx freestyler in HS.

God loves me as I am Jocelyn Renee's Avatar
    I've always been very athletic; football is a particular favorite. Ironically, most of the girls I know don't "throw like girls" either. I guess hanging out in lesbian bars will do that. ;-)
    "It's a sad man, my friend, who's living in his own skin, and can't stand the company." - Bruce Springsteen

"Im not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand." - Prince
    --
    Connect with me...http://360.yahoo.com/joc_renee

My parents say I live in my room. Like it's a BAD thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocelyn Renee View Post
    I've always been very athletic; football is a particular favorite. Ironically, most of the girls I know don't "throw like girls" either. I guess hanging out in lesbian bars will do that. ;-)
    None of the girls I hang out with throw like girls, either. I think the really ditzy ones tend to 'throw like girls' -- you know, the ones afraid of breaking a nail.
    Carol: Do you have any Equal?
    Peter: I'm sorry, I'm famous for having no equal. – Peter’s Friends

Prince George: Just let her know I am all man. With a bit of animal thrown in. Grr! -- Blackadder III

Dr. House: I don't know who's been gossiping about ethics instead of sex, but hopefully they're already fired.

I was not very athletic either. For one thing I was always the smallest boy in the class. For another, I never had any one really show me how to throw or hit.

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Ha! This brings back memories. I went to school in Scotland but we played baseball in PE regularly. While I was ALWAYS roundly condemned for my lack of ability in throwing a ball (because I was - and am - atrocious in that department) I was the only one who regularly hit the ball out of the park.

Good times!!

Sarah...

I was never good at sports. I liked roller-skating & track, but that was it. I too have been called a few choice names in my past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Unexpected Woman Empress Lainie's Avatar

Wink

I always threw like a girl (why shouldn't I unknown to me at the time I was a girl!).

When I was 14 and 15 and 16, I started my own baseball teams in the city and salvation army leagues. One team was in the 17 and under leagues so I had older kids playing for me.

I knew I sucked, so I always played right field where I couldn't screw up as much. I loved to pitch but if I had every pitch wuld have been a homerun for the other team.

But I had lots of fun doing it even though in most leagues we finished last.

That's the only sport I have ever been fanatical about except for bowling.
    Go Houston Buffs (Long gone now!)
    [SIZE=2]Ascended Ancient[/SIZE]

How many can throw like this girl? Very interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3H...eature=related

Stay or forever go
    Play or you'll never know
    What heaven decided
    You can't deny it's
    All you've been waiting for

I'll second this one. Nothing beats standing on infinite green grass under a cloudless sky waiting for that little white ball to come your way. It was what I lived for.

Quote Originally Posted by emmicd View Post
    I always felt like a girl inside but I was gifted as a young boy in that I was athletic and yes I could throw a baseball hard, fast and pretty accurate!

So that saying never applied to me!

I always threw like a boy!

I love baseball!

emmi

I played most sports fairly well but I had tow of my kids (boy and girl) that played T-ball. When it came time for the draft the next year my girl who was younger was picked first. I thought that was kinda funny since my boy ended up # 1 on the high school football team a few years later. Some girls are just more athletic.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joaninga View Post
    Yes, I remember it well. Always the last to be picked for a team.
    I sometimes didn't even get picked for a team. I would try to stand on the sidelines until the dumb coach told me to get in there.

Yeah I always heard about how I run like a girl or throw like one.
    I just never got the hang of proper throwing technique.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I never threw a ball like a girl, but then I never threw a ball like a boy either. I just never threw well at all. My niece has told me that I walk like my mother, a complement. My mother was a very fast walker that could get through a crowd without having to shove people out of the way, or pissing others off. I am fortunate to have inherited that from her. I do have a feminine walk, without the swishy hip swing, that has come naturally to me.

Pamela