Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bra wearing at TSA Check Points

Bra wearing at TSA Check Points

Hi Girls!!! I'll be flying commercially to Minneapolis MN and eventially on to Souix Falls South Dakota, Have any of you had problems wearing a bra either wired or wire free, through the TSA check points. I tried on 2 or 3 wire free bras and I just cannot handle a soft cup or a wire free bra. I'd have to wear at least an underwire bra just to be comfortable. Suggestions and comments are welcome. I'll be wearing some female things, one of them may or may not be my bra.
    Last edited by serinalynn; 08-31-2008 at 07:58 PM.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76795368@N07/

International Men Can Wear A Dress Too Day, Tuesday, May 15 2012

I am not an expert, but I think the "underwire" is actually an "under thick plastic strip" so, that should not trip the sensors. Maybe some real expert can clarify that. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by aluchi_aluchona View Post
    I am not an expert, but I think the "underwire" is actually an "under thick plastic strip" so, that should not trip the sensors. Maybe some real expert can clarify that. Good luck.
    Hey girl friend.... your an engineer so you should know whese things.. Lol. Some are and some aren't.. I have a bra where the wire poped out and it was steel... I just got bacl from Wyoming and there were a lot of women going through the TSA checks.... so I was watching and none of them set the machine off and certantly most were wearing under wire bras...

They did make me put the makeup I had in my briefcase in a baggy which I thought was a pain!! Lol.
    Last edited by Karren H; 08-31-2008 at 08:42 PM.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

TSA Jokepoints

I have gone through the TSA checkpoints with heavy large cases filled with unmarked electronic equipment that looks very suspicious under Xray (tubular metal cans with wires sticking out) and lots of custom circuitry that I alone kbnew the function of and not once was i asked to explain or demonstarte the purpose of this stuff.

In addition, I was so amused that we are permitted to carry Ipods, cell phones, Blackberries etc. and ASKED to turn them off during landing and takeoff as they can interfere with the avionics BUT WE STILL HAVE THEM ON OUR PERSONS. However, we are prohibited from taking bottled water or any other liquid etc on the plane even though we were just drinking from the same bottle IN THE SECURITY LINE!! I would think that if I could bring down a plane by confusing the avionics with a cell phone THAT would be the prohibited item.

BTW it has been proven hundreds of times that cell phones DO NOT in any way interfere with the avionics on planes nor any equipment in hospitals. They also do not cause fires at gas pumps. (Ironically for us, the fires were caused by static electricity from women's nylon slips as they exited and entered the vehicle sliding across the seat.)

With all the high tech gadgetry at our disposal, why would anyone rely on a simple bra underwire for nefarious purposes? Taking off a bra to diassemble the support material to commandeer a plane is a bit ludicrous. What would we use to hold our breast forms?

Just my musing for the evening.

Christine

Banned Read only
    I've often seen women get "wanded" after the doorway thingy, and they quite often get a beep when the wand crosses over their breasts. But the security person just ignores it knowing it to be the underwires. It's a woman after all, right?

Now if you're not flying en femme, and the beep goes off, you might get questioned, I think! But maybe not!

I dunno about that. I had a bra from Torrid that the wire poked through. Yup, One heavy gauge metal wire.

I went through TSA last month dressed, mind you bra did not have an under-wire. However the thought did occur to me about the approx. two pounds of plastic (breast forms) strapped to my chest. But if they want to check it out so be it. They didn't. Treated just like another ordinary traveller. Not sure if they didn't notice, or didn't care. Maybe the makeup in the clear zip-lock bag provides all the answer they need.

I'm sure given the number of women going through with implants etc, that their equipment can tell the difference between augmentation and the more dangerous stuff.
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

I have been wanded going through security at the airport. My underwires did not set off an alarm, but the hooks on the back did. The security person, a woman, mentioned it was not unusual for a bra to set off the alarm. I told her I had a back brace on. She smiled and let me through without further comment.
    Ally

In those situations, esp. with the heightened measures I am still unwilling to risk the scrutiny. I am about to fly overseas in a few days and worry enough about whether to bring forms/bra in the baggage - you never know when someone is going to go through it all and that might be too awkward for me. Does anyone have any idea of how trans people might be treated in South Africa? Stellenbosch and surroundings. Joni

They wouldn't let me on a plane with a fake fish hook on my hat then gave me a plastic knife with my meal What the hell was that.
    Angie

I have heard that the underwire will not set off the security systems at the airports. I went through wearing a Bra without underwire and had no problem.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    You could avoid some of the potential trouble by being more obvious.

I don't have any information about TSA, but in February I flew in femme clothes within Canada. I no longer recall for sure what I wore on my lower body on the outbound trip (might have been a skirt), but the top was more femme than not and I had forms with noticeable bulges. On the return trip I am sure I wore a skirt, and the top was obviously female and was one of the ones designed to show off one's curves (pockets for the breasts to fit into.) I did not have on a wig or make-up (perhaps I had a bit of lip-stick): I was flying "transgendered".

The security systems gave me no trouble at all (underwire bras), and the security offices smiled a little and gave me no problem. And no-one else gave me a problem either -- a guy in a skirt walking through an airport and people basically didn't pay attention. Not a single stare that I could see, not a single "Hush dear, don't look at that man". Not that people were deliberately not-looking at me: I just wasn't something of particular interest compared to "When are they going to let us board? Did I turn off the stove? Did we leave enough food for the cat?"

On those trips, I did not "pass" in the sense of being thought to be a woman: if people had thought I was a woman, they would likely have looked at me more. But I wasn't exactly treated "just like any other guy" either: I have noticed that when I go out fully Dressed or visibly transgendered, I generally get more smiles, from men and women both, people are more likely to hold doors for me, that sort of thing. For lack of a better phrase, I will refer to these as "short range effects": I didn't cause "a stir" in the airports, people weren't following me with their eyes or following me physically, but up close some people would smile as I passed by, or would hold the door with the sort of smile that guys commonly give as they hold the door for a woman they think is nice looking, a "I am enjoying what I'm seeing" sort of smile.

Some may be plastic but i put a tear in one of my forms on a wire sticking out of one of my bra,s so some do have real wire in them.
    justabit

Quote Originally Posted by Christinedreamer View Post
    I have gone through the TSA checkpoints with heavy large cases filled with unmarked electronic equipment that looks very suspicious under Xray (tubular metal cans with wires sticking out) and lots of custom circuitry that I alone kbnew the function of and not once was i asked to explain or demonstarte the purpose of this stuff.

In addition, I was so amused that we are permitted to carry Ipods, cell phones, Blackberries etc. and ASKED to turn them off during landing and takeoff as they can interfere with the avionics BUT WE STILL HAVE THEM ON OUR PERSONS. However, we are prohibited from taking bottled water or any other liquid etc on the plane even though we were just drinking from the same bottle IN THE SECURITY LINE!! I would think that if I could bring down a plane by confusing the avionics with a cell phone THAT would be the prohibited item.

BTW it has been proven hundreds of times that cell phones DO NOT in any way interfere with the avionics on planes nor any equipment in hospitals. They also do not cause fires at gas pumps. (Ironically for us, the fires were caused by static electricity from women's nylon slips as they exited and entered the vehicle sliding across the seat.)

With all the high tech gadgetry at our disposal, why would anyone rely on a simple bra underwire for nefarious purposes? Taking off a bra to diassemble the support material to commandeer a plane is a bit ludicrous. What would we use to hold our breast forms?

Just my musing for the evening.

Christine
    The dirty little secret about cell phones on aircraft is that it has nothing to do with avionics. I've successfully navigated from point A to point B without any problems only to find I had left my cell phone on for the entire trip. The reason is that a cell phone needs to be off is it will search for service and hit as many cell sites as possible. That has a potential to overload the system. Besides, most cell phones loose service around 1000 ft.

As for the TSA, believe me they have seen it all. Just be prepared to produce a legitimate ID with you correct gender. Several liquids on there own don’t present a problem but two or more of non lethal fluids combined together can produce something you don’t want to deal with at 35,000 ft.

One more thing about cell phones. Have any of you been in a room with 150 people all talking on a cell phone? Imagine that along with the sound of your plane cruising along at 600 kts.

Jen
    Last edited by Jenny J; 09-01-2008 at 10:41 AM.

okay I've never even had the metal detector go off when going through the airport security, other than for belt buckles. So a bra should not be an issue.
    Do you live, do you die
    Do you bleed for the fantasy?
    In your mind, through your eyes
    Do you see it's the fantasy? - 30 Seconds To Mars- The Fantasy

One really funny episode

I forgot to relate one episode of TSA quality control.

A few years ago my GG GF and I flew to Raleigh, NC to see my folks. My GG has an artificial knee, a plate in her left ankle and one in her left wrist after a serious fall. During the surgery to implant the bone stabilizers, she had a serious drop in her BP. The anesthetist was intrigued by all the data he got from his equipment so he called a cardiologist for an immediate consult. The cardiologist decided to implant a brand new device called an Implantable Loop Recorder.

The ILR is a microminiature ECG recorder that automatically records her heart rate and function with no external wires. It is then downloaded at the doctor's office using a receiver held over the unit which is implanted under the breast. The unit is about the size of a pack of chewing gum.

When we approached the TSA checkpoint we presented all the ID cards about the bone implants but we did not have one for the ILR implant. She set off the alarms and was wanded. All was fine until she set off the wand at the breast level. We explained what that was but the TSA agent did not believe any such thing existed. We were detained until a doctors' assistant was brought in from the airport first aid center. He had to call UCLA cardiology to get some info as they were convinced this could be a strange method of concealing something dangerous.

We spent about 2 hours in security , got a LOT of attention from the rest of the passengers, missed our flight and I was really getting steamed and told the agent that he might want to try flipping burgers as he was eminently qualified for that. We did finally get a flight out and the airline (American) gave us a free first class upgrade and one free RT ticket for future use. So all was not lost.

I also found out from talking to another TSA agent that some folks are tagged by the new odor sensing devices as they will detect adhesive residue which is flammable.
    So for those who wear breast forms etc that are glued on, be careful sinceTHAT may trigger some additonal scrutiny as well. In addition, be sure you nail polish is a few days old and well cured for the same reason.

Christine
    Last edited by Christinedreamer; 09-01-2008 at 02:47 PM.

I travel a lot and would not travel femme due to all the delays etc at the
    major hubs to much stress for me , as for going through the metal detector
    it seems to me that no two are the same some times it goes off and sometimes it doesnt , the thing is are you willing to be found wearing a
    bra as a man ? in front of other people ? or you could put it on in the washroom if you cant go without it for a couple of hours

Skirting the Issue Jillian_Faith's Avatar

It can happen

I'm sure this is probably a rare case but ..... http://www.gadling.com/2008/08/26/un...ss-her-flight/
    Exploring Life's Journey a Day at a Time ... That is in a Skirt and Heels....

Also be aware that if you are wearing a corset, steel boning and/or the busk will set off the scanners. I am not sure if a shaper will do the same thing.
    Corsetted Nikki

I'd rather be corsetted and wearing stockings!

Hi
    My guess would also be that no one would make you go threw a strip search if they found you were wearing an under wire bra , but if you want to make sure that it is not an under wire but an under plastic just check it with a magnet .
    Tomara

TSA Check

I have never experienced any trouble at TSA wearing a bra because I have never worn one going through security. However, right after 9-11, we were flying back to Love Field in Dallas out of Albuquerque and the wife set off the alarm. She wears an underwire. I had to pull off my shoes and have them swabbed while she was taken behind a dressing curtain and was patted down by a female TSA agent. She/we have flown several times since, but she has never set the alarm off since.

Bra and flying

Perhaps my recent experience with TSA will take a load off your mind. Recently I left my wallet in the hotel on my return trip, I did not realize it until I was already waiting in line to clear through security. I fly a lot while under dress beneath my business suit. To make a long story short, I was able to get on the plane without an ID, but TSA told me I will be subjected to extra screening. I got the VIP treatment, but no private room or the latex glove treatment, nor did I have to strip down. My carry-on was thoroughly examined. You should have seen the puzzled look on the TSA agent's face when the wand was set off by the clasp in the back, the adjustable loops on the straps, and yes, the underwires. He never asked me what I had on, I think he figured it out after tracing the contour of my bra. He did make couple extra passes over the areas, just to be sure. Once he realized what it was we moved on. The whole experience was actually very professional and pleasant, it had the potential of being much worse. I did not miss my flight.

My metal underwire bras never set off walkthrough scanners, but they will set off the wand. TSA has to do their job, and I know my rights - A bra is not is controlled substance, regardless of gender. You will have no trouble. Happy flying.

Banned Read only
    Here's a related TSA story I ust read on another forum...

A gentleman was carrying forms in his carryon bag. He was stopped and told the he could not carry them on board in the bag. He asked if it made a difference if he was wearing them. The agent said no. He retreated to a restroom, unpacked a bra and wore it with the forms under his suit and tie. He was passed through with no incident.

TSA regs allow " mastectomy and breast prosthetics" specifically, liquid filled or not.

Flying w/a bra

Normally, your bra will not set off the metal detector (but depending on what other metal you have on, it might go off). Bottom line, your may set off the alarm and be required to undergo additional hand screening of your person. If so, they will likely detect that you are wearing a bra. They will check you with the back of their hand to verify that it is just the bra, and then allow you to go on your merry way. As long as you don't mind them possibly realizing that you are wearing a bra; then go for it. They will be professional about it all. Of course, they may discuss the incident later, after you have left the area; but then I am sure you have experienced that situation before.

Hugs

Nicole

Small metal can set off detectors

I have never passed through security at any airport while wearing an underwire bra. However, I had an incident at Montreal Airport several years ago while on route to Quebec City, which may serve as a warning. As an Aussie, I had a small kangaroo pin in the lapel of my jacket. The pin set off the detectors. thankfully my femme clothes were in my check through baggage.

I travel extensively (mostly within Australia these days) and have found the sensitivity of the metal detectors varies from airport to airport. Last week, security in Sydney airport picked up the metal in my blade shaver in my carry on luggage. I had to open the bag, remove the shaver and run the bag through the screen again. Nothing was said about the panty girdle and hose in the bag!