Thread: Flying Dressed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flying Dressed

I've had so many people ask me how I do this that I figured I'd be best off writing it in a post. Now when people ask about this I can just send a hyper link to this post! :-)

Ok, just to sooth my concerns, the first thing I'm going to tell you is that I have only flown from the Austin Texas airport dressed. I emphasize this because Austin is a very liberal, "live and let live" kind of place. Austin has sort of a reputation for being a place of the arts, and for having unique individuals as it's citizens. In other words, it is possible that the folks in Austin might wink and nod when others may not, so you try this at your local airport at your own risk. I honestly don't think this is the case though. I would assume that the TSA has guidelines and a policy regarding this, and I doubt very much that the folks in Austin are given any room for discretion.

The first few times I did this, I had an emergency escape plan. In my car I carried a container of water, some soap, a wash rag, and a complete change of clothes. I then showed up at the airport about three hours early so that if the airline or the TSA wouldn't let me through, all I had to do was run to the car, wash, and change. In this way, the only chance I was taking was that I might get embarrassed and have to change in my car in the parking lot.

I do not have any sort of Femme ID, nor did I need one.

I did not lie or mislead anyone in any part of the process.

I also did not go out of my way to explain my TG status either.

I booked my flights in the usual fashion, under my male name, using my male credit card, and my male ID. When I checked in, I used the Kiosk just like anyone else. When they asked for my ID when checking my baggage, I showed them my male drivers license. When going through the TSA security, I showed my male ID when asked for it. I don't bother to explain that I'm TG as I hand the ID over. It's fairly obvious at that point and I would just seem a bit silly to try and explain it if not asked.

I have now flown around a dozen times, and in all of those occasions, I've had:

• 1 TSA agent clearly look down his nose as he passed me through. It was clear he didn't like me.
    • 1 TSA agent that dealt with me on several trips flirt with me
    • 2 TSA agents (on different trips) tease me with a smile on their faces.
    • 1 Delta gate agent smile and tell me that she sees me so often she should have my name memorized.

It really couldn't be simpler!

The reasons I don't fly from other cities dressed is because there is no way for me to have an escape plan if things don't go well. Since it is not my home airport, I wont have a car in the lot to leave cleaning supplies and a change of clothes in. If another airport refuses to let me fly, I WILL miss the flight, and that since it would be my fault, there would probably be costs associated with it. The other reason is that I think it might be a bad idea to be arriving home dressed in the middle of the afternoon. Too much chance the neighbors would see me!

So there you have it! No secrets, no tricks, no hoops to jump through! You do everything just as you would when you fly any time, the only difference is you are dressed a bit better! lol

By the way, if any of you have first or second hand experience flying from another airport in the US, please let me know! I want to hear from you if you, or a friend of yours has done it - please don't send me a message about a friend of a friend as I would not consider that to be reliable information

Richmond, Virginia

Bible belt country and all. Last month and my first time flying en femme. Driving back to the airport the toll lady gave me a very nice "Thank you Ma'am". Good start. At the Hertz car rental return, the gentleman gave me a very nice "Can I help you ma'am." When I was done with the return and I enquired where departures were, he pointed me at the escalator, then commented on how big my luggage bag was and pointed me at the elevator. It was a small gesture, but I got the distinct feeling of "being treated like a lady". Check-in went smooth. I got confused with the check-in kiosk, and a lady attendant helped me. I thought I heard a 'sir' but not sure.

Everything else was uneventful. I had my makeup in the appropriate baggy. Removed my shoes, belt etc. for security. The flight took off late so there was little time to transfer in Houston Airport. There was another lady on the same flight with the same connection, and we chatted as we rushed through the terminals. On the second leg, the lady beside me started her makeup application one hour out from landing, and we chatted a little. She was using instant French nails. None of these people that I talked with make any reference to gender or transgender. I was just another passenger.

This is what I was wearing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

Awesome Carin!

So now we know of two airports that those of us right here on this forum have proven to be "friendly".
    Austin Texas
    Richmond, VA

And I DO visit Richmond once or twice a year so thats cool!

By the way, congrats on having the courage to do it - it was scary as heck the first time for me!

Kim:

I have never flown enfemme, but I have traveled an enormous
    amount in my career and I found that it was always best to have
    a portable emergency plan, in case of lost luggage. I always made
    sure I had a complete change of clothing in my carry on, along
    with the other necessary business materials. Perhaps you could
    work out an suitable alternative to the parked auto plan. Just
    my two cents.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Earlier this year I flew Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) to Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) and back visibly transgendered (obvious femme top, skirt, shape of forms visible.) No wig, though. I didn't have any difficulty with anyone along the way, including no difficulty with the guys who saw me wearing a skirt in the mens' bathroom.

I have flown with less-obvious forms and less-obvious femme clothes Winnipeg to Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) a couple of times, and Toronto (Ontario, Canada) once. Some might almost say that it was just "underdressing" except it was really all womens' clothes (except perhaps the shoes.)

I did not have any "back-up plan" any of those times. But I wasn't flying completely femme either.

I have flown in femme 4 times, all from Tampa/St. Pete to Chicago O'Hara and back, and I've not had a bad experience with the baggage attendants, airport security, nor the TSA. Even the clerks at the car rental office were very friendly.
    The first time I flew there and back, I used my male ID and didn't have any issues.
    The second time, I used my new Florida ID and again no issues.
    In both airports, I was treated just like any other lady traveller.
    I had never felt more secure about my personal safety than at any other place.

I just case there are any issues, I usually get to the airport really early and leave some male clothes in my car, but I am confident in myself that things will be ok and so far things could be any easier, just like what Kimberly said.
    Anytime I get the opportunity to fly, I will fly in femme because it's that simple.

One thing I'd like to note about the metal detectors, if you're hesitant about going through them because you're wearing a bra. Just remember, there are thousands if not millions of GGs who go through them all the time and their bras have underwires and metal clips.
    If they can get through them without getting buzzed, why shouldn't you.

Once you experience flying in femme, it does wonders for your confidence, and you think to yourself that there's nothing that you can't do because the skies the limit.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 09-08-2008 at 10:23 PM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

We fly to visit my brother in law so dressing won't work.
    Angie

I have flown underdressed and dressed the rest of the way at the hotel, but I have never flown en femme. Kudos to you, Kimberly.

I too have flown dressed a couple of times in Australia. First time was from Brisbane to Perth, and the second was from Perth to Melbourne.

On the flight from Brisbane, I was dressed in a black leather skirt, black leather jacket, black top and tights. I was a little worried whether it was a good idea or not, so I rang Qantas. They reassured me that there would be no problem. There wasn't. Was smiled at check in and then again through security. Then sat in the Qantas lounge. THought I got a few looks, but perhaps they were admiring the stunning legs on the smartly dressed lady. I was too busy reading the paper to notice or worry.

On the flight to Melbourne, I was wearing a smart skirt suit. When I got to the front of the queue at check in, the nice man (who was obvoiusly gay) asked for my ID, then said, Oooh, that doesn't look anything like you! Got a giggle out of me. Once again, no problems at all. THis time a friend met me at Tullarmarine.

I do not attempt to conceal my identity, look people in the eye when needed and try to exude confidence. Sometimes the confidence bit is hard when you're nervous, but after a while I relax into the role and it seems to become easier.