Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Dressed

Flying Dressed

I've had so many people ask me how I do this that I figured I'd be best off writing it in a post. Now when people ask about this I can just send a hyper link to this post! :-)

Ok, just to sooth my concerns, the first thing I'm going to tell you is that I have only flown from the Austin Texas airport dressed. I emphasize this because Austin is a very liberal, "live and let live" kind of place. Austin has sort of a reputation for being a place of the arts, and for having unique individuals as it's citizens. In other words, it is possible that the folks in Austin might wink and nod when others may not, so you try this at your local airport at your own risk. I honestly don't think this is the case though. I would assume that the TSA has guidelines and a policy regarding this, and I doubt very much that the folks in Austin are given any room for discretion.

The first few times I did this, I had an emergency escape plan. In my car I carried a container of water, some soap, a wash rag, and a complete change of clothes. I then showed up at the airport about three hours early so that if the airline or the TSA wouldn't let me through, all I had to do was run to the car, wash, and change. In this way, the only chance I was taking was that I might get embarrassed and have to change in my car in the parking lot.

I do not have any sort of Femme ID, nor did I need one.

I did not lie or mislead anyone in any part of the process.

I also did not go out of my way to explain my TG status either.

I booked my flights in the usual fashion, under my male name, using my male credit card, and my male ID. When I checked in, I used the Kiosk just like anyone else. When they asked for my ID when checking my baggage, I showed them my male drivers license. When going through the TSA security, I showed my male ID when asked for it. I don't bother to explain that I'm TG as I hand the ID over. It's fairly obvious at that point and I would just seem a bit silly to try and explain it if not asked.

I have now flown around a dozen times, and in all of those occasions, I've had:

• 1 TSA agent clearly look down his nose as he passed me through. It was clear he didn't like me.
    • 1 TSA agent that dealt with me on several trips flirt with me
    • 2 TSA agents (on different trips) tease me with a smile on their faces.
    • 1 Delta gate agent smile and tell me that she sees me so often she should have my name memorized.

It really couldn't be simpler!

The reasons I don't fly from other cities dressed is because there is no way for me to have an escape plan if things don't go well. Since it is not my home airport, I wont have a car in the lot to leave cleaning supplies and a change of clothes in. If another airport refuses to let me fly, I WILL miss the flight, and that since it would be my fault, there would probably be costs associated with it. The other reason is that I think it might be a bad idea to be arriving home dressed in the middle of the afternoon. Too much chance the neighbors would see me!

So there you have it! No secrets, no tricks, no hoops to jump through! You do everything just as you would when you fly any time, the only difference is you are dressed a bit better! lol

By the way, if any of you have first or second hand experience flying from another airport in the US, please let me know! I want to hear from you if you, or a friend of yours has done it - please don't send me a message about a friend of a friend as I would not consider that to be reliable information

Richmond, Virginia

Bible belt country and all. Last month and my first time flying en femme. Driving back to the airport the toll lady gave me a very nice "Thank you Ma'am". Good start. At the Hertz car rental return, the gentleman gave me a very nice "Can I help you ma'am." When I was done with the return and I enquired where departures were, he pointed me at the escalator, then commented on how big my luggage bag was and pointed me at the elevator. It was a small gesture, but I got the distinct feeling of "being treated like a lady". Check-in went smooth. I got confused with the check-in kiosk, and a lady attendant helped me. I thought I heard a 'sir' but not sure.

Everything else was uneventful. I had my makeup in the appropriate baggy. Removed my shoes, belt etc. for security. The flight took off late so there was little time to transfer in Houston Airport. There was another lady on the same flight with the same connection, and we chatted as we rushed through the terminals. On the second leg, the lady beside me started her makeup application one hour out from landing, and we chatted a little. She was using instant French nails. None of these people that I talked with make any reference to gender or transgender. I was just another passenger.

This is what I was wearing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

We fly to visit my brother in law so dressing won't work.
    Angie

Awesome Carin!

So now we know of two airports that those of us right here on this forum have proven to be "friendly".
    Austin Texas
    Richmond, VA

And I DO visit Richmond once or twice a year so thats cool!

By the way, congrats on having the courage to do it - it was scary as heck the first time for me!

Kim:

I have never flown enfemme, but I have traveled an enormous
    amount in my career and I found that it was always best to have
    a portable emergency plan, in case of lost luggage. I always made
    sure I had a complete change of clothing in my carry on, along
    with the other necessary business materials. Perhaps you could
    work out an suitable alternative to the parked auto plan. Just
    my two cents.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Earlier this year I flew Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) to Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) and back visibly transgendered (obvious femme top, skirt, shape of forms visible.) No wig, though. I didn't have any difficulty with anyone along the way, including no difficulty with the guys who saw me wearing a skirt in the mens' bathroom.

I have flown with less-obvious forms and less-obvious femme clothes Winnipeg to Hamilton (Ontario, Canada) a couple of times, and Toronto (Ontario, Canada) once. Some might almost say that it was just "underdressing" except it was really all womens' clothes (except perhaps the shoes.)

I did not have any "back-up plan" any of those times. But I wasn't flying completely femme either.

I have flown in femme 4 times, all from Tampa/St. Pete to Chicago O'Hara and back, and I've not had a bad experience with the baggage attendants, airport security, nor the TSA. Even the clerks at the car rental office were very friendly.
    The first time I flew there and back, I used my male ID and didn't have any issues.
    The second time, I used my new Florida ID and again no issues.
    In both airports, I was treated just like any other lady traveller.
    I had never felt more secure about my personal safety than at any other place.

I just case there are any issues, I usually get to the airport really early and leave some male clothes in my car, but I am confident in myself that things will be ok and so far things could be any easier, just like what Kimberly said.
    Anytime I get the opportunity to fly, I will fly in femme because it's that simple.

One thing I'd like to note about the metal detectors, if you're hesitant about going through them because you're wearing a bra. Just remember, there are thousands if not millions of GGs who go through them all the time and their bras have underwires and metal clips.
    If they can get through them without getting buzzed, why shouldn't you.

Once you experience flying in femme, it does wonders for your confidence, and you think to yourself that there's nothing that you can't do because the skies the limit.

Hugs!
    Last edited by joann07; 09-08-2008 at 10:23 PM.
    JoAnn

I love to see a beautiful woman in a nice dress, but then again, I also want to wear that dress.

I fly a couple of times a month ,I think about traveling en femme every time
    but for me there is just to many hassles at the major hubs . flights cancelled
    or delays , I think if I was going to travel femme it would be from a small airport and
    as Kimberly said have your car and a change of clothes close by

Hearing about others success in flying en femme makes me want to book a flight somewhere.
    Michelle

I've flown 4 times now:

Melbourne to Perth (4 hours)
    Perth to Melbourne (4 hours)
    Melbourne to Perth (4.5 hours)
    Perth to Geraldton (1 hour)

The only problem I've had so far is my bracelet setting off the metal detector.
    Also I broke a nail once.
    I didn't have a back up plan or change of clothes on any of my trips - I just rely on blind faith !

I think the first trip is the hardest, but it just gets easier from there. I have even less to worry about now as my female HR Director from work now knows all about me. In fact she's even encouraged me to fly as she say's it's good experience for when I go full time. Can't wait to do it again !

Suzy
    Last edited by Suzy Harrison; 09-09-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Forgot about the first flight 3 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by joann07 View Post
    One thing I'd like to note about the metal detectors, if you're hesitant about going through them because you're wearing a bra. Just remember, there are thousands if not millions of GGs who go through them all the time and their bras have underwires and metal clips.
    If they can get through them without getting buzzed, why shouldn't you.
    Corsets are a different matter. Each time I've gone into the State House in MA the metal detector has gone off. The first time a female security agent used a wand on me and didn't detect the corset (makes you feel real secure, eh?). The second visit a male security person used the wand and it went crazy around the corset. I just told him "corset" and he sort of rolled his eyes.LOL So it's probably best to leave the heavy duty shape wear home and just wear something comfortable.
    Sally

Great post Kim Thank you!
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

I have flown from Houston Hobby to Dallas Love on Southwest, underdressed with no problems. I was wearing my male clothes (I always wear lady's panties) after completeing a business meeting, then did a little shopping at Target on my way back to the airport. I saw a pretty black lace bra and wanted it, so I bought it and put it on in the car under my male shirt. I think it was a little visible through the fabric. Anyway, I had no problems with the metal detectors at Hobby. A particular TSA agent often stopped me as my breif case with my laptop, camera and many other electronic and metal items fired up the machine. But not on this occassion and my underwired bra went through as well with no alarms. I always wanted to fly enfem but I'm more concerned with running into persons I work with or clients that might recognise me. Love Field afterall is a very busy, yet personable airport. My clients reps also very often fly these flights as well, so I don't think I can push the boundaries on these flights.

A question occurs to me though. How do the people you sit next to on the plane react to you? Do they realize thay you are a crossdresser and don't mind, or just don't say anything; or is your flight spent in quiet solitude as no one will converse with you? Do others request a change of seats???

Ivy
    There was a reality show on here in the US (I forget the name) that centered around an airline and all the things that go on at the airport. There was one episode where they would not let a crossdresser on the plane, but only for the reason that she was wearing a miniskirt so short it would make a prostitute blush. They explained that it wasn't a gender issue, just an issue of being inappropriate.

I have flown wearing all women's clothes, but i keep it to jeans and tees and no makeup. The only trouble I've ever had is that when my DMV photo was taken, my hair was very long and I look like a girl in it. They have to look up and down at me a few times, but it's never been a problem.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Siemen View Post
    How do the people you sit next to on the plane react to you? Do they realize thay you are a crossdresser and don't mind, or just don't say anything; or is your flight spent in quiet solitude as no one will converse with you? Do others request a change of seats???
    When I was more subtly dressed, I don't think anyone noticed... if they did, they didn't make any indication of it.

When I was in form-fitting blouse and skirt, probably people noticed, but nothing was said to me. The people beside me didn't talk to me, but then people generally don't talk to me on airplanes.

On the latest of my flights (early this year) when I was most noticeable, the woman beside me must have been paying some attention to me: I fell asleep holding on to my pop (resting on the seat tray) and just at the point where my arm had drifted in my sleep to the point where I was in danger of spilling the pop, the woman next to me reached over and removed the pop from my hand (just as I was waking up.) If she had had some prejudice about crossdressers before hand, by that point she must have been convinced I was just a harmless human. (Though of course, with my being asleep, I don't know whether she spent the intervening time staring at me; I didn't notice any attention from her afterwards, so I don't think so. If anything I think she might have been concerned about me staining my skirt.)

Note: the skirts that I wore on my flights (that I wore them) were full-length skirts -- no accidental immodesty.

All right, way to go ladies! I'll let the post run a little longer and then consolidate a list Airports we have proven to be friendly. That might be sort of silly though as I begin to get the impression that there is no problem flying from ANY airports in the US, Canada, Australia, or the UK.
    By the way, I hadn't realiszed so many of us here HAD flown dressed! And here I thought I was a rebel! lol

Not a little girl
    In the last three years, I've flown dressed and with male id from Sacramento, JFK, Dulles, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas and San Francisco with no problems whatsoever.

I typically wear a cotton blouse and casual knee length skirt and shoes for the season (boots or sandals).

Since then I've gone full time and I've legally changed my name. The CA-DMV lets you change the gender with a form signed by a doctor and I did a round trip from Sacramento to Cleveland. I'll admit that was less stressful and dare I say it felt normal?

I'll never forget the lady TSA agent in Phoenix, she first thanked me for having an organ donor sticker on my (then male) drivers license, then complimented me on my blouse. She seemed sincere to me!

I do sometimes worry about being seated next to someone who stereotypically I should be afraid of. On one flight, I did sit next to a big, hairy football player type. He turned out to be a great conversationalist and the flight passed in no time.

One thing to watch for is avoiding shoes with ankle straps while traveling as they can be really difficult (at least for me) to gracefully remove and put on before and after the checkpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by JennMW View Post
    One thing to watch for is avoiding shoes with ankle straps while traveling as they can be really difficult (at least for me) to gracefully remove and put on before and after the checkpoint.
    You brought up another interesting point. As a male I know which shoes to where to get through security quickly. Now I will have to think like a woman to get through security without attracting additional attention getting dressed.
    Michelle

The Unlucky
    I have never flown en-femme but i can't wait to get back to the states so I can.

I'm moving to Reno, NV but I'm gonna visit some friends in tampa all while flying en-femme.

Speaking of, has anyone been through the RENO/TAHOO airport?

I've been full time for the past ten yearrs. Have flown dressed (with male ID with femme picture) out of Los Angeles International several times, and out of San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Fairbanks AK, amd New York (JFK).

The most challenging flight was out of San Francisco, as I had had my wallet (including driver's license) stolen by a pickpocket on the trip and only had a temporary license without a picture!

No problems anywhere.

So I can tell you that for me, at least in the USA, flying en femme is a non-issue.

I've traveled (not flown) to some very unlikely places--small towns, very consdervative areas, a van trip driving across Alaska with a small group of strangers, arriving and leaving from Canada, and so on. I've occasionally been asked some questions, which I've answered.

I've been issued traffic tickets, been to government offices, been through metal detectors, been admitted to the hospital a couple of times, and served on jury duty, all dressed, with male ID. I've been ma'amed the bulk of the time and sirred a few times. I've used the women's restroom consistently everywhere, always without problem.

A crossdressed friend has been invited to join a health club, and use the women's locker room.

I've handled it all with smiles, honesty, tact, common sense, and courtesy. That's all it takes.

Sincerely,
    Rikki

Quote Originally Posted by valenstein View Post
    There was a reality show on here in the US (I forget the name) that centered around an airline and all the things that go on at the airport. There was one episode where they would not let a crossdresser on the plane, but only for the reason that she was wearing a miniskirt so short it would make a prostitute blush. They explained that it wasn't a gender issue, just an issue of being inappropriate.
    How do they get away with that ?!? Was the CD actually exposing herself, or just showing a lot of leg? I recall there was an episode here in the States a few months ago when a GG was kicked off a plane because her dress was inappropriate -- I think they said her skirt was too short. First off, I saw her in that same outfit in a later news interview and it was fine, just the way you see teens and 20-somethings dress all the time. And second, where does an airline get off dictating a dress code that stringent??? I mean, I could see it if some sort of indecent exposure was involved or she was causing a disturbance, but at least in the GG's case, that was not an issue. The stewardess involved simply exercised an arbitrary opinion -- and created a problem where there wasn't one -- that caused the girl a great deal of embarrassment and inconvenience. Hell's bells, I can remember when the standard stewardess uniform was short enough to keep me entertained the entire flight!

I'm never gonna fly in drag.

Almost flew home from the Phillippines in 2005 wearing a bra and panty but good I didn't because I was selected for the pat down. Same last week with Delta.

I like that air steward uniform website. Know more?

I'd love to have an airline steward uniform but they're illegal on ebay.

Hi Kim! I had a very amusing thought when I saw your thread title and just had to pass it on. "Flying Dressed" just sounds so appropriate for any of us who would DARE to venture out "en femme" into Hurricane Ike when he gets here! At least you're in a part of Texas where that worry is no biggee unless a tornado was approaching! Hopefully, when he gets there, all you gotta worry about is your skirt or dress flying up!

Love & hugs,
    Lisa
    Lisa

[SIZE="2"]I flew in femme once from Orlando To Newark.... not being passable didn't help....being in love with CDing solved that! At the airport I was read here and there and admired twice.......now on the plane, I had to sit next to a very nice lady who made my day....she made me feel a very nice lady.

I'd say Orlando's airport is not the coolest to leave from in femme.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Kyara Ximena[/SIZE]

Dreams are betther lived than dreamt!

Unhappy flying in femme

I only attempted it once at DFW and was so embarrassed that I'm too afraid to do so again. I wasn't in total femme, was wearing my male outer clothes but complete female underneath. had a sever shaping corset with multiple metal boning and it set off the detector. the wand went crazy only around my midrift and when the tsa guy patted me down he felt it and raised my t-shirt up just enough to reveal my bright pink corset. it wouldn't have been so bad but he wasn't subtle at all when he saw it and everyone began staring at me. he let me pass through but kinda sneered at me and told me to "have a nice day ma'am". I was so embarrassed and scared that I wanted to throw-up. hated myself after that, burned the corset when I got home and purged all my other femme attire.