Thread: Women's Studies..from a transman

Women's Studies..from a transman

Odd title..

Anyway this year I ended up ..accidentally taking a women's studies course in Uni. I was dreading it because.. as opened minded as I might like to feel, I'm not to comfortable in something billed as "women's studies". I went into class wondering if everyone there would be this uber power feminist lesbian type person (fyi: I am ashamed of myself for the stereotype). And being a gender-different person I never like being in that kind of setting.

Turns out.. the prof is a Transman. He has every credential possible in women's studies and is a really charismatic, knowledgeable and eloquent lecturer. I would never have thought that he was once biologically female. I didn't know that my school had a transman in the faculty at all. ..Then again, maybe that's why we have trans washrooms, and a non gender segregated residence rooms.
    Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, "The flag is moving."
    The other replied, "The wind is moving."
    Huineng overheard this. He said, "Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving."

Lingering Member
    I've known multiple trans males who majored in Women's Studies, so this doesn't seem too surprising to me. I also know a trans female majoring in it.

Women's Studies casts a critical eye upon conventional constructions of gender (among other things), so it seems natural to me that gender-variant folk would be drawn to the area.

That's pretty awesome that you have a trans professor, and a campus setup that facilitates things like that (although please tell me by "trans washrooms" you really mean unisex, trans washrooms would be a discrimination problem in my eyes).

I'm also in a women's studies class this semester - it's a psych class entitled "Women in the Workplace". On the one hand, it's great, because we're talking about breaking down stereotypes. On the other hand, d if I have to listen to people screw up the usage of sex vs gender or talk about what a "typical" man or woman is one more time, I think my head is going to explode. Unfortunately, there's not a good way to correct some misconceptions without (inadvertently or deliberately) outing myself as trans, and I'm not comfortable doing that in front of a classroom of 40 people.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

I've considered taking women's studies, it seems like an interesting subject because it focus on gender as a whole and not just strictly female.
    Story of my life –>

My parents say I live in my room. Like it's a BAD thing.
    Gah, I hate my women's studies class. I am a feminist and all for equity, but seriously, that class is going to turn me into a male-chauvinist pig. I cannot BEGIN to describe everything wrong with it. At least, not without hijacking the thread.
    Carol: Do you have any Equal?
    Peter: I'm sorry, I'm famous for having no equal. – Peter’s Friends

Prince George: Just let her know I am all man. With a bit of animal thrown in. Grr! -- Blackadder III

Dr. House: I don't know who's been gossiping about ethics instead of sex, but hopefully they're already fired.