Thread: Conference inclusive of transmen ?

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar

Conference inclusive of transmen ?

Last night I somehow ended up as the planning chairperson for our social club's conference for 2010 in Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada).

There is no way that a plain male-to-female "crossdressing" conference would work for our social club, as our core membership includes transgendered and transsexuals. At the conference I went to earlier this year, I had a distinct sense of people being excluded, and I would like to make the 2010 conference as inclusive as practical (considering our resources and skills). I expect to go outside of the club and work with other groups in the city -- possibly even an academic component for example. And if I do not entirely succeed for the first conference, I would at least like to have set the tone for the successor conferences, to build towards better inclusion.

Naturally when I think of conferences and people being excluded, I think of transmen. Are you being well served by existing conferences? I don't recall seeing any transmasculine conferences mentioned here. If you have been feeling that something has been missing, what kind of programming do you think might motivate you enough to travel to the center of Canada?

And if you have had an opportunity to go to conferences, then have you noticed particular sub-groups of transmen being implicitly excluded? Something like "These people had a bit of an attitude that 'You are not a real transman unless you _____', and since I don't fit that, I didn't feel entirely comfortable" ?

Thank you,

I think the program from this year's Trans-Health Conference is still available online (if not I can scan mine in). That particular conference was extremely transmasculine friendly, as well as being accepting of non-binary identities. (it was not particularly ally-friendly, but that's another story)
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

First Event, the only conference I've gone to has quite a few workshops for and about transmen. They do get sort of overpowered by the t-girls because we seem to be much more outgoing (read "loud" LOL!). I met my first 2 transmen 2 years ago and it took me 5 minutes of them talking about "t" before I realized that they weren't genetic males!
    Sally

Banned Read only
    SCC sems to be very inclusive for transmen. There are many seminars and events on the schedule specifically for them.

As it's only three weeks away, the organizers, who include trans people of all flavors, are pretty busy. But after the conference you might get in touch with them about how to organize an all-trans-friendly event.

Check out the web site for a full look at the event and seminar schedules. http://sccatl.org

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Tess,
    Why not contact and converse with local transmen? I could introduce you to a person who would be a great resource cause he does attend and helps putting together such conferences