Thread: Tired of being the poster child

Tired of being the poster child

Do you guys ever just get tired of explaining things to people. I feel like as the only out t guy on my campus that I am somewhat of a poster child. I am so tired of explaining and dealing. I just want to hole up and ignore everyone. It is so hard for me to get up and go to class this semester and drag myself to go through the motions of the day.

Does any one else get this way?

I haven't felt like hiding, but I am done explaining. I'm ready to stop coming out (it seems like every day someone new walks up and asks me why I changed my name), I'm ready for people to just know and deal with it.

And it's hard being the representative of a whole group of people. I'm probably the first openly trans person most of my classmates have ever known, met, or possibly even seen. So it somewhat becomes my job to put a positive face on transgenderism - and some days I don't feel like dealing with that.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

Yes I feel like hiding, I'm fed of explaining and 'spearheading the way' for others who suffer GID that will follow in the County I work in. I have been trying to get back to work after a long bout of depression and part of my recovery has been finally admitting to myself and the world that I am trans gendered. Ok - so whats the problem in going back to work?..narrow mindedness and lack of knowledge.. and who has to sort that out..yep you guessed..Me. The one who is still in recovery from depression, who is still having trouble getting out of the duvet, the one who wants to blend into the magnolia paintwork. Instead I get the pleasure of being told I have to stay at home while people get their heads around my FTM transgender and how it will effect my work etc.. Then in a phased return to work meeting, to help the top bosses (the ones no one ever sees cos they so busy elsewhere in another building or well you guess!) That I have to have a meeting with them, so I can tell them about the Gender recognition act, ask me questions and discuss practicalities..for goodness sake, I'm a teacher! I'm not a criminal, I've done nothing wrong.

So yes like many of us, there are times we want people to stop asking us about GID, and just be treated as normal people. Could just one day go by without having to be 'outed', questioned, pointed at or 'forging the way' but just left to live? If anyone has the answer I will buy them more than just a !

Believe me bro - you are not alone
    "If you are going through hell, keep going."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    - Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Oh yeah, I get real sick of having to explain the same things over and over again. I kinda want people to just get it, so I don't have to go over it so many times with everyone. It's also annoying when you have to explain the same things over and over to the same person.
    Story of my life –>

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    I don't really mind explaining so much. It does grate me sometimes but on the other hand, if I'm educating someone correctly, then they've got accurate information. Y'know? I sorta feel like I'm performing a service.

What I REALLY hate, though, is explaining things to someone fifty times and having them NOT GET IT. Or people not getting things that really seem like they ought to be intuitive. Like, for instance, telling people that I'm trans first of all, then telling them I'm legally changing my name to a male name, telling them I want to take testosterone and have top surgery, and then they don't GET that they should use male pronouns. Like, 'this is my friend Benny. She...'

GRRR.

I told my dad I want to take T, and he's trying to help me get my name changed, and he STILL uses female pronouns. I don't get it. What's so hard to understand about that?

</rant>
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.