View Poll Results: What's Your Comfort Level?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Long hair

83 36.73%
  • Long nails

104 46.02%
  • Shaved legs and underarms

197 87.17%
  • Styled, colored, or highlighted hair

46 20.35%
  • Shaped eyebrows

138 61.06%
  • Pierced ears

106 46.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altering Your Appearance: What's Your Comfort Level?

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar

Altering Your Appearance: What's Your Comfort Level?

I'm wondering how far others here feel in "pushing the envelope". For myself, long hair and nails are my limit. I'd really like to have my hair colored and styled, my brows waxed, my ears pierced, and shave my legs and underarms. However, being a part-time girl conflicts with being a most-of-the time guy, and therein lies the dilemma.

So I'm curious as to what self-imposed, or societally-imposed, limits restrict your options regarding overt expression of your "inner girl".

This poll is multiple-choice, so select all that apply.
    Last edited by RebeccaLynne; 09-25-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Clarifying multiple-choice option.

Gold Member
    a lot of times on weekends or days off I wear short shorts, hose, sometimes sandals.

So in male mode, no:
    skirts, heavy makeup, real femme blouses.

I guess if I am not technically "en femme" then I won't wear a skirt.
    It may seem funny but that article of clothing for me is the epitome of femme clothing. Not a skirt fetishist but for whatever reason, that is the limit if I am not en femme. I think particularly femme shirts are a close second.
    I wear light makeup now and then but if not en femme, I keep it subtile.

And I just do not do my nails. I love long nails but too lazy to mess with my own.

As far as body hair eyebrows and feminine hair, I do all those normally [tho my hair is short right now]
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

I live in Florida and shave totally. Shorts and T's are the norm. When I get my manicure and pedicure, the beautician also does my eyebrows. Never had any comments. Ear piercing is next.... As for hair, not much there to start with, so I keep mine very short, cooler with a wig on.

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    Living in a smallish, and conservative, Southern town shaved legs and underarms is about the limit for me. Nobody seems to notice those two items. I'm pretty sure anything more would be noticed.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

[SIZE=4]All of the above and more. Wait, I don't have any hair.... I will have to made do with what I can..[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

Shaved legs and underarms, anything else would give me away too much, although my eyebrows are slowly thinning for some reason

Interesting poll, but you should have included painted toe nails.

EVERYTHING but the hair. I have really short hair and it is rather thin. So I wear a wig all the time--except to bed, of course. But everything else is total female, or at least as much as a TG male body can be.

Blushing June '07 Bride Sheri 4242's Avatar
    I, too, live in a small southern city, but that said, many (most) have never noticed my shaved legs or underarms. My barber has been thinning and shaping my eyebrows for a very long time and does that for anyone in the chair unless they say no. My nails are naturally long (to my wife's disgust (haha). My ears are pierced, but this has only mentioned one time in ten years.
    [SIZE="4"]Sheri[/SIZE]

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Interesting! I've done all of those but here's the interesting bit - not all at once. That would be pushing the envelope too far for the time being.

Sarah...

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    I do like my nails shaped and therefore worn long is not excessively noticeable. Shaving as above but I would add that the backs of hands, wrists and arms do need attention. Come to that so do ears. These little things show out on the street rather more than would hairy legs under two layers of tights.
    S~~

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    I choose the ears. I have had two holes in each ear for the past 5 years. As far as shaving, I can shave my legs and know one will ever notice because I have very little hair on my legs
    Drumming, My other hobby

all the above and much , much more ...well ALL THE WAY
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Like MJ
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

All of the above for me. I'm comfortable with everyhing and pierced ears are on my list of things to do soon.

-Paula-
    "Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self." - Wizard's Tenth Rule:
    "Life is the future, not the past." - Wizard's Seventh Rule
    "Deserve victory." - Wizard's Eighth Rule
    "Be justified in your convictions. Be completely committed. Earn what you want and need rather than waiting for others to give you what you desire."

There is just one life for each of us: our own - Words from a fortune cookie

Do or Do Not. There is no try - Yoda

God loves me as I am Jocelyn Renee's Avatar
    All of the above for me. My hair is short, but cut in an androgynous style and I rarely wear a wig en femme anymore. I can't remember the last time someone commented on any of my more feminine attributes when in guy mode. I imagine folks notice, but they are either too polite to ask or they realize I'm not going to care about any negative opinion they may care to share. LOL
    "It's a sad man, my friend, who's living in his own skin, and can't stand the company." - Bruce Springsteen

"Im not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand." - Prince
    --
    Connect with me...http://360.yahoo.com/joc_renee

All of the above... plus additional belly piercing

Peka
    I'm the kind of woman that when my feet
    hit the floor each morning
    the devil says
    "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Aspiring Member
    Fully shaved, legs, arms and underarms. Have been now for about 5 years and never a comment.
    Dont have a lot of hair, so have to wear a wig.

The next thing i would like to have done, is pierced ears, that way there is such a nice selection of earrings, that I dont have with clip ons.

I do have long natural nails, the only comments i get from the Ladies, are how do you have such nice long nails, i cant get mine to grow like that without breaking them

Denise

All except the styled hair.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Rebecca, u left, "None", off the poll.

Which is My vote!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Almost all of the above! I have waxed (before) and now keep shaved all of my entire body except for one small triangle shaped area "you know where". I've had 9 laser face and anterior neck hair removal sessions, I have very thin tweezed and shaped eyebrows, I have both my ears pierced once, I have my toenails painted in a color 24/7, I have very long (for a guy) shaped fingernails (almost a 1/4" past my fingertips) that are always kept painted (shiny clear in the week and a color on the weekends). My hair is very short indeed in "no-wig boy mode" (I have worn a wig in a ponytail in boy mode a few times) so I can't style my hair. Add to this I always wear women's clothes in a "girly boy mode" outside of work. I wear girls jean's girly t-shirts in feminine colors, girly tennis shoes, and a baseball cap ... all in boy mode.

How much do I push the envelope? ... IMHO, quite a bit!
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

All of the above.

I had my hair colored (barely noticeable, but no gray now) and with slight highlights a couple of weeks ago. Everything else has been there for some time.
    Carin

I have gone on a journey in search if myself. If you find me before I return, please hold on to me until I get back.
    Telling our Children

Aspiring Member
    All right, why are the results of the poll totalling over 300 %?

Just one of the girls Rachel_CDS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLynne View Post
    I'm wondering how far others here feel in "pushing the envelope". For myself, long hair and nails are my limit. I'd really like to have my hair colored and styled, my brows waxed, my ears pierced, and shave my legs and underarms. However, being a part-time girl conflicts with being a most-of-the time guy, and therein lies the dilemma.

So I'm curious as to what self-imposed, or societally-imposed, limits restrict your options regarding overt expression of your "inner girl".

This poll is multiple-choice, so select all that apply.
    My limit is just shaving my legs, underarms & chest, but only from September onwards when I am unlikely to be wearing shorts.
    I do try to keep my eyebrows tidy, but don't make it too obvious.
    I would love long hair but when it starts getting too long I find it annoying & get it cut. It always looks terrible when it is shorter than shoulder length on me! If I could eventually let it grow properly I would then get my ears pierced. The hair would hide the piercings a bit until the holes are healed.
    If I could, I would grow my nails, but I still can't stop biting them!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    All aply here. I color my hair to keep away the gray - no drastic color change. I would like to highlight (or low light) my hair but I haven't felt comfortable with that yet. For all I've done, what difference would it make? Some how I'm not comfortable with highlights yet.

Gen