Thread: Question on SRS surgery?

Faith's Girl Kimberly Marie Kelly's Avatar

Smile Question on SRS surgery?

My brother just recently had prostate surgery to remove parts of or all of his prostate due to cancer. My question is this and I would be interested to know, when they do SRS if they remove the prostate gland as part of the procedure. The Prostate gland's function is to produce semen in the man, if SRS is done is this gland removed as part of the surgery?

Since prostate issues exist in my family line and I'd like to transition in the future. If they remove this gland during SRS I would definitely consider SRS sooner than later.. Does anybody know if it is removed during SRS?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With Love,
    Kimberly

"Count it pure joy when the world comes crashin
    hold your head up and keep on dancin" MercyMe

I thought the prostate atrophied during hormone treatments O_o... Effectively the same thing, I would guess.
    The Secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and MISS- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Keep your words short and sweet just in case you have to eat them later.

You can either be Happy, or Right. I'll take happy.

I knew a transsexual guy whose only ambition is to eat, drink, and be Mary. - The Late George Carlin

I've been curious about this as well. My understanding that post ops are still subject to prostate cancer. But I don't know that to be true.

I'd especially be interested in seeing some medical study on the subject.

Marla

To my knowledge, the prostate is rendered all but moot during HRT then with the testes gone that pretty much finishes the job. There is no more free testosterone to contribute BPH. So, it is conceivable that it could still happen but is unlikely. As I recall, Transgender Care reported that the incidence of prostate cancer post op was nearly nil although I would have to go back to find that data again.

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

The prostate is not removed. Prostate surgery is very invasive and would not be practical to do. The prostate does shrink with HRT and the potential cancer risk drops dramatically but it isn't imposible to still have problems. The only reason I'm saying this is I'm repeating what my endo told me today.
    Lauren

GypsyKaren
    They don't touch it during SRS, like Lauren says it shrinks from HRT and diminishes as a problem.

Karen

Faith's Girl Kimberly Marie Kelly's Avatar

Smile Good to know, I was curious.

Thank you all for the information, makes my decision in seeking HRT a better one, may prevent me from having to have prostate surgery in the future. My brother said the surgery took alot out him, said he is no longer a man. If he only knew what I'm seeking, he just wouldn't understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    With Love,
    Kimberly

"Count it pure joy when the world comes crashin
    hold your head up and keep on dancin" MercyMe