Thread: Support Groups

Support Groups

Are there any in your area? Do you go to one? How do you like it, is it really helpful?

I've been going to a local chapter of PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) for the past couple months, the next meeting is in a couple hours actually. It's nice to be able to talk with people who are rooting for the same causes and want to learn more about stuff like being transgendered. It's different than here though, because here is a place where I feel I can really relate to people who are in my same situation, and there has more of a 'getting involved locally' sort of thing.
    Story of my life –>

I consider my church to be my support group. It's not about GLBT issues there, but it is an open and affirming church. So when I have a dysphoria breakdown after service when someone tells me my name is "pretty", people there will listen and try to understand. It's been really good for me to have someplace to go, instead of just mucking through on my own.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

I volunteer at GenderShift which tackles trans issues as well as other gender issues. It is a supportive environment for me while I get back on my feet. Its a place I can feel useful and I really sink my teeth into working there. At the same time it is helping me I can help others.

I also administrate the GenderShift network website where people of all backgrounds can join and learn about trans and other gender related issues.

I love it, it has helped me get a lot of confidence in myself back and at the same time tackle my mental health issues in my own time.

Have to say I do rely on th support of the group that Lewis is involved in and upto now all I can say is the support is excellent xx Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

Here in Holland there are no groups for FTM, there are a few very small groups for MTF though. If there was one I might go there if I felt up to it

There is an organisation for people who want to get on T or get in the procedure for transition, they asked me if I didn't want to start a group for FTM's. They new I had a group for lesbians at the local gay and lesbian supportgroup in Arnhem, in Holland it's called COC. I organised everything together with my former girlfriend. It was quite a succes
    Well back then I was very new to it myself, so I didn't see myself advising people, and I'm not sure if I can do it (healthissues). Maybe in the future.
    ~Deron~