Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would your parents have named you if you'd been a GG?

What would your parents have named you if you'd been a GG?

I'm curious about something.

We all have the luxury of naming ourselves. We can shift through every name in the world until we find the one that fits how we see ourselves.

But a GG gets given a name at birth and, for the most part, keeps it for life whether they think it 'fits' or not. Plus, I personally believe that a persons name effects their self image a bit and, in a small way, helps shape who they become.

So... have any of you ever had a conversation with your parents in which they've told you what they would have named you if you'd been a girl?

Now parents know LONG before birth if the baby is a girl or boy, but back when I was born parents usually had a boy name AND a girl one picked out since they didn't know the babies gender until the moment of birth.

I've never asked my mom what girl name they had picked out, but it did come up in conversation one time that the boy name I have was almost different... and I would have preffered the one they DIDN'T use! Oh well.

I think if I ever find out what girl name my parents had picked out, I'd change to that and just 'make do' with it whether I like it or not... just like every other woman has to do. It couldn't have been too bad, they did a pretty good job coming up with my sisters' names.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Wow seems I'm the first to reply…

My mother told me up front my name would have been Sally…

Don't know how "Mark" came from that, but that's what she said.

I would have preferred Michelle, or another softer type name, but now I have the power oveer it so I chose "EveMarie"

xx, Evie

I like 'Sally'

BTW: While thinking about names, check out this page. It is an interactive name explorer that lets you see how popular any name has been over the decades. My real name was mildly popular in the 60s, but has gone downhill since.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

'Sally' was very popular during the 30s-50s but has pretty much vanished as of the 90s.
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

Interesting, My mother's name was "Sandy" or "Saundra" if you will, so when she said mine was to be Sally, it kinda made sense, I guess.

when I married my 3rd wife from Mexico I actually made a name up for our son "Doñel" pronounced like "Don't Yell" without the "t". My wife thought it sounded like a girls name, but I stuck to my guns, and to this day he's preferred "Daniel", so go figure
    Last edited by EveMarie; 10-03-2008 at 09:15 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling

Coda...

Talking

Zenith of course...

Probably Julie or Jennifer...sticking with the "J"s here...

I spread the love of Bob. Mariah's Avatar
    my parents were going to name me Stephanie, so I took that as my middle name.

Mariah
    Trans platypus, yes I'm a Platypus.
    Start Transitioning:Jan,2007
    HRT: July,2009 2 years ^_^
    Name Change: Sept 28,2010
    Real Life Test/experience: Sept 1,2010- Sept 1,2011 WOOT DONE!!!!!!!! Waiting on my SRS/GRS letters now. ^_^
    2 years full time, Experience that is valuable!

I'm lucky; my real name is Jesse - and that often gets confused as Jessie - the girl name version. So helpful on my credit card too when enfemme as they still take Jesse as a girl's name. I'm so happy I wasn't a Michael!

I would have been Colleen, not really the name I took for myself tho.

It was actually supposed to be Jessica...though my last name isn't even remotely close to parkson.....
    “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

-Dr.Seuss

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Tegan.
    That was the name I would have been called if I'd been born a girl.

I would have been called Mary Alma after my two grandmothers. My younger sisiter ended up with that name. I was actually named Paul which is interesting since my mother's name was Pauline!
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

Don't know for sure but if I had to venture a guess I would say what my younger sister is named, Cheryl Elaine
    Some ask why? Some ask why not? I ask "Does this pump come in a 9 1/2?"

Apparently my Mother wanted a girl. Well, she didn't want any more children but since she was pregnant anyway, and this was Catholic Ireland, she knew she was having a baby so wanted another girl. She had had 3 boys and then a girl and she wanted another to round off. So, she chose the name Ruth. Then I popped out. Would've been so much easier is she had gotten her wish. Anyway, I would've considered taking this name if it wasn't for the fact that all of us Irish people do not pronounce the 'th' sound, and we tend not to pronounce the 't' sound at the end of a word either. So, I (and probably every other Dubliner in existence) pronounce this name as 'Ruh'. Didn't want that, so chose Annabel instead, which became Anna at work and with my friends.

I'll give you one guess!!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

My choice of Deborah Jane was settled on after a conversation i had with my mum after coming out to her. Apparently she was going to call me Deborah anyway if i had been born a girl and mentioned she,d thought about having Jane as my middle name.

Aspiring Member
    I would have been Rosemary. My mother came to the U.S. after the war from France, so it probably would have been pronounced Rose Marie. Both are pretty and when I come back in my next life and I am not a GG, then I'll choose one of those feminine names as a CD.

my parents actually thought i was a girl and had a named picked out and everything..

Christina... Kinda cute!!

Kisses,
    Jonelle

My mother's choice for me if I was a girl was Judith. It is a pretty name, but does nothing for me.

I wish I knew, I asked my mom one time and she came up with a name but, she said she really did not remember what it was way back when I was born. She said she probably would have named me Anne, after her, but I don't think so or she would have named one of my 3 sisters Anne, after all they were born before I was.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Sadly, I don't know. I have never asked my Mom.
    Void in States of Mind, Where Freedom and Understanding are Prohibited!

My mother never told me what my name would have been. Hopefully, it would have been Laura. I LOVE that name!

I was told i was to be called Kate if i was born a girl, but i opted to call myself something more exotic, Kates a little boring (sorry any Kates out there)x

I would have been Eileen. When I was a kid I knew I was really in trouble if my mom called me by my first name and subsitiuted my middle name with what would have been my girl by birth name!
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Silver Member
    According to my great Aunt, everyone thought my mother was going to have another girl and talked to me in the womb as Charlene Catherine. Even as a young child I remember my Mother and older sister would sometimes call me "sissy", but discovered later they were saying "CC" - initials for my girl name.

As she used to tell me growing up soooo many times...you were supposed to be my girl and I was going to name you Renee. My femme middle name is in part an homage to her.

Christine came from two sources...the 1957 Plymouth Fury from Stephen King's book and movie Christine about a car that is possessed by the spirit of it's owner. and also for Christine Jorgensen one of the first well known male to female transsexuals. Renee came from what my Mom was going to name me, and also from the tennis pro Renee Richards, formerly Richard Raskin. These were all the sources for my femme name Christine (now Chrissie) Renee.