Thread: Flying EnFemme

Flying EnFemme

Ok, I've got a question for all - especially those who fly while dressed. Why not got thru security first, then change into your female clothes? I'm planning on flying out of Indy on an early moring flight in a few weeks, and will have a full lace wig on (14" length). I'll wear it under hat and once I'm thru security, will change in the restroom in to female pants, sweater, bra, and corset, and once out side the restroom, will insert breast forms (foam so they wont attract attention thru the xray), and will do my makeup quickly in a remote area. Once done, I plan to slip on my high heels and head to the gate. I did a "trial run" on Saturday and walked thru the airport dressed in the same outfit (shorter wig), and no one really paid me any attention. Was I nervous? You bet! But I forced myself to try so I get more comfortable going out. I'm taking a week's vacation in FL, and once I get to the airport, will dress full-time until I come home. So my question is to those who fly dressed regularly, am I naive and forgetting something? I was worried abt security, but once I'm in, I'm in. Any suggestions or comments? Please feel free!

BTW, thanks to so many of you and the suggestions of how to tell your spouse, I've told my wife, and she's open to my dressing - with some guidelines (never in our hometown, dressed appropriately - she said if I'm going to dress, I should do it right - she went shopping with me!). Life is good!

I haven't done it but, I would be scared of someone reporting suspicious activity and then need to do a lot of explaining. Walking in dressed, you present a consistent image that is odd but not suspicious. If your willing to do it far a week in Florida, why not start from home.

I forget if the new terminal is open but, the restrooms I've used didn't seem too nice for changing unless the handicapped stall was available.

Brina

Good point, Brina, but it will be early and not too crowded. I dont need much room to change and have changed in to boy clothes many times in the Indy Airport restrooms. I dont plan to stand out - more like a business woman traveling, but thanks for the relpy!

I dont think that is good idea. You are better to be upfront when going through security. Just tell them you are a crossdresser. They have seen it before. In the airport there are cameras everywhere and changing in the mens room is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriM View Post
    I dont think that is good idea. You are better to be upfront when going through security. Just tell them you are a crossdresser. They have seen it before. In the airport there are cameras everywhere and changing in the mens room is not a good idea.
    Doing that is not necessary -- you don't have to explain anything to anybody. Just hand your proper identification to security and they'll figure things out for themselves.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

I flew back in september and if you pass the wand test your ok. I went through TSA in San Diego and the walk through scanner did not alert and the wand check was not necessary But on the way back to San Diego I was wanded at Souix Falls and the only difference was the jeans I wore. THe rivits alerted in Souix Falls. The jeans I wore leaving San Diego did not have rivits.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76795368@N07/

International Men Can Wear A Dress Too Day, Tuesday, May 15 2012

OK I've never flown en-femme on a plane, but I think security are more concerned if you are bringing guns, knives or explosives onto the plane... I don't think they have a problem with what kind of clothes you choose to wear.

If you are concerned you could email or call the airline and ask them if they have any policy about cross-dressing on their airline.

I hope you have a pleasant flight... I wish I was flying to Florida... in a short summery chiffon dress.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Doing that is not necessary -- you don't have to explain anything to anybody. Just hand your proper identification to security and they'll figure things out for themselves.
    I have now flown so many times I've lost count.
    The other ladies have it exactly right - the method you describe is almost begging for trouble. You will be behaving in an abnormal fashion, acting furtive, and essentially drawing and attracting attention. If I were airport security, I'd make it a point to have a conversation with someone I saw doing this.
    Don't over complicate things - just show up dressed, present your male ID, and enjoy yourself.
    I just returned from the Southern Comfort Conference where I met with a number of other Tgirls that had also flown there dressed. NONE had a serious issue. Myself and one other tgirl I spoke with were requested to show another form if ID with our license as additional assurance we were who we claimed to be, but that is all - that is the worst that might happen.

Thanks to all for your replies and advice. Youre right - I was just afraid of seeing someone I know while going thru Security. I'll take your advice and "dress the part." If anyone else has advice, pls let me know. Once I get to FL, I dont care. It's the getting there that will have me thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottey1 View Post
    Ok, I've got a question for all - especially those who fly while dressed. Why not got thru security first, then change into your female clothes? I'm planning on flying out of Indy on an early moring flight in a few weeks, and will have a full lace wig on (14" length). I'll wear it under hat and once I'm thru security, will change in the restroom in to female pants, sweater, bra, and corset, and once out side the restroom, will insert breast forms (foam so they wont attract attention thru the xray), and will do my makeup quickly in a remote area. Once done, I plan to slip on my high heels and head to the gate. I did a "trial run" on Saturday and walked thru the airport dressed in the same outfit (shorter wig), and no one really paid me any attention. Was I nervous? You bet! But I forced myself to try so I get more comfortable going out. I'm taking a week's vacation in FL, and once I get to the airport, will dress full-time until I come home. So my question is to those who fly dressed regularly, am I naive and forgetting something? I was worried abt security, but once I'm in, I'm in. Any suggestions or comments? Please feel free!

BTW, thanks to so many of you and the suggestions of how to tell your spouse, I've told my wife, and she's open to my dressing - with some guidelines (never in our hometown, dressed appropriately - she said if I'm going to dress, I should do it right - she went shopping with me!). Life is good!
    Hi Scottey,

I fly for a living, don't do that dressed though. It's my occupation.
    The one thing that may be a problem with what you are suggesting is some airlines require a photo ID and your boarding pass prior to getting on the plane. You might check with the airline your flying to Florida on and see what their policy is. Just a thought.
    huggs, Renee

[SIZE=2]So if you don't want to draw attention to yourself, where do you change from drab to femme? You can't walk into the ladies toilets in drab, nor walk out of the gents en femme, without causing something of a stir.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Tony[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    The other ladies have it exactly right - the method you describe is almost begging for trouble. You will be behaving in an abnormal fashion, acting furtive, and essentially drawing and attracting attention. If I were airport security, I'd make it a point to have a conversation with someone I saw doing this.
    Don't over complicate things - just show up dressed, present your male ID, and enjoy yourself.

Umm..., isn't that what I wrote?

<rereads post to look for syntax errors>

Yep. that's what I wrote.
    Last edited by Sharon; 10-05-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
    Umm..., isn't that what I wrote?

<rereads post to look for syntax errors>

Yep. that's what I wrote.
    Sure it is - I just said it better. So there! nanny nanny boo boo!

Originally Posted by TxKimberly

Kim,

Did you fly into the Austin airport enfemme this past week? The leader of the South Texas Tri-Ess chapter, Terri from Austin, was coming in from NY and said she saw a CD in the airport. Just curious.
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

A CDM Friend who works for TSA told me that it is really not wise for you to do that, as it was said before if your seen on camera or if someone reports it or worse if one of the TSA or airport police see it as they are walking by, you are looking for trouble. She told me to tell you that you will not be the first or the last to do it. She had told me that she had a TS come thru who was on her way to having the change and she just spoke up and told them. She also said that you stated that you would wear a hat and she said they would more then likely be asked to remove it before you go through the metal detector and if they see a wig it will demed very suspicious. She suggested that you just come in femme and you will more then likely be accepted except for the non professional TSA employees who will snicker but if you walked thru on a trial run and you did not get noticed by anyone you should just go for it. There are even TSA Sisters, you have seen and heard from a great many Sisters on this Great Site who are from different jobs from Law Enforcement, Lawyers, Pilots and a great many jobs. Please Think about it, just go for it. BTW Many a Friend here know me and know that I was in Law Enforcement so I know what my friend said is TRUE. Joann0830

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
    Kim,

Did you fly into the Austin airport enfemme this past week? The leader of the South Texas Tri-Ess chapter, Terri from Austin, was coming in from NY and said she saw a CD in the airport. Just curious.
    No ma'am, but I did fly OUT of the Austin Airport on Friday that week. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joann0830 View Post
    A CDM Friend who works for TSA told me that it is really not wise for you to do that, as it was said before if your seen on camera or if someone reports it or worse if one of the TSA or airport police see it as they are walking by, you are looking for trouble. She told me to tell you that you will not be the first or the last to do it. She had told me that she had a TS come thru who was on her way to having the change and she just spoke up and told them. She also said that you stated that you would wear a hat and she said they would more then likely be asked to remove it before you go through the metal detector and if they see a wig it will demed very suspicious. She suggested that you just come in femme and you will more then likely be accepted except for the non professional TSA employees who will snicker but if you walked thru on a trial run and you did not get noticed by anyone you should just go for it. There are even TSA Sisters, you have seen and heard from a great many Sisters on this Great Site who are from different jobs from Law Enforcement, Lawyers, Pilots and a great many jobs. Please Think about it, just go for it. BTW Many a Friend here know me and know that I was in Law Enforcement so I know what my friend said is TRUE. Joann0830
    Thanks to all for the feedback!
    Joann - thanks for checking with your CDM TSA friend. I never would have considered the consequences without your advice ( and others). I think I'm going for it. I will have a full lace wig on (very cool if you havent tried one), that sure looks real (IMHO). Think I'll try it - guess the worst that coud happen is a off-hand comment. Thanks again to all!

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    No ma'am, but I did fly OUT of the Austin Airport on Friday that week. :-)
    Sounds like you were the CD Terri saw at the Austin airport. She said you looked fantastic.

Melanie
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joann0830 View Post
    A CDM Friend who works for TSA told me that it is really not wise for you to do that, as it was said before if your seen on camera or if someone reports it or worse if one of the TSA or airport police see it as they are walking by, you are looking for trouble. She told me to tell you that you will not be the first or the last to do it. She had told me that she had a TS come thru who was on her way to having the change and she just spoke up and told them.

I guess I've just been fortunate. I flew several times before my name was legally changed, and I never had a moment's difficulty. I simply presented my legal ID to those who requested it and was treated with the same respect as every other passenger. Not one person from the time I entered the depature airport to the time when I exited the arrival airport ever asked me why I looked the way I did. But, then again, I looked the same in person as I did in the photo on my license (only much more gorgeous. )

I think the whole secret must be to just be okay with yourself and not feel guilty or look like you're hiding anything.

NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!! AS A RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO EITHER FLY ENFEMME OR FLY IN DRAB, BUT DO NOT AND I SAY AGAIN DO NOT CHANGE IN THE AIRPORT THIS IS CONSIDERED SUSPICIOUS IN NATURE AND COULD LEAD TO A VERY UNPLEASANT SITUATION.

Mollyanne
    "To thine own self be true"

Sounds like there's been a lot of sensible advice in this thread already - I agree with the 'en femme all the way' methodology. I'm a flight attendant and I have a letter from my TV/TS/TG group counselor that says my appearance and behavior are consistent with my transgender status per the Benjamin standards. Apparently this can be a help with official situations (like restroom trouble, police stops and probably TSA ID checks). Could be an asset for anyone concerned with being hassled in girl mode.

Lots of good advice here! I'll relate one story, not about me. I was at National Airport (en drab) when a TG en femme set off the metal security buzzer. When nothing obviously metal was found, the TSA attendant asked "Would you rather be searched by a female or male"? I thought that was a very courteous question, and no one seemed to raise an eyebrow. Folks in security lines have enough to worry about.

Thanks for all of the good advice and encouragement -- I look forward to flying en femme!

Claire

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Do you never look at the ceiling in the toilets ? they have cameras there,or behind the grills.
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"