Thread: Firearms

Firearms

Hi all, I would just like to ask you guys if any of you do any target shooting? I just got my firearms license, and am planning on buying my first gun. I am on the small side for a GM, 5/4, 143lbs. Any advice would be helpfull. I posted in the another section of the forums and got a lot of good advice and comments from gun owning cds. I would be thankfull for any advice.

B.B.C.D. & D.Q.I.T. Chloe' Buffington's Avatar

first thing is to ask...

what is the main purpose for the gun.
    their are many calibers so to answer that question will influance your choice.

if it is for carry the you must also concider conceilabilty, smaller frame people should carry smaller guns so they don't show through clothing.

Area of use must be conciedered as well, get enough gun for the job, rural areas require a more powerfull gun, you may have to stop a mtn. lion or bear.

stopping power, what are you most likely to be shooting at, paper targets need less stopping power than a bear does.

Good luck and if it is for personal defence then I humbly offer this prayer, May you always be safe in all you do, may the day never come when its you or them , may you always be prepaired if it does, for it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Chloe'
    Life is too short to not be who you are.

Hi Hun well can't help much here as it's not my thing that sort of thng frightens the life out of me to be honest but Im sure there will be someone here who knows something. Felix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Me, Myself and Felix!!

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Sorry, all I know about guns is how to disarm someone who's pointing a gun with a slide at me (a Glock, for instance), at close range, haha!

Then again, I've heard Glocks are good guns for people who don't have much experience shooting, or are of small stature. But certainly don't take my word on it!
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

Handgun and Rifle owner for life, love to go to the range.
    The best thing to do is go to a range that rents out guns so you can try various types. Kick, weight, grip, those make a huge difference when chosing a firearm before buying.

I have larger hands than most GG's so I always have to buy a standard or longer butt than the ones that are designed for smaller hands. You want to be able to grip properly for control and aim or it won't do any good. Weight is a factor - it will either feel right or it won't just holding it but you may try to fire off a few rounds of one that may feel a bit too heavy and find it's just right.

Glock's are okay but they tend to jam which is why I don't keep one for first line protection. A .38 special standard grip suits me fine, is light enough to carry on person and not too large. If I can't stop someone in three pulls then I'm not doing it right.

Another good thing is to take any classes offered by gun ranges. You learn a ton of information including state laws for ownership. Guns are about stopping power, not killing someone. They also teach about which hand guns are best for just range fun and will show you how to pull a trigger (there really is an art to it) so you have a good day with money well spent on renting a booth. Once you chose a specific type they will have taught you how to clean any firearm which is very important.

Good luck and have fun!
    The Dream Factory screwed up again. ~kerrianna~

The couple rented the room, and the fish do not like me anymore.
    The fishes name was george and he still liked me because I always give him cherios in the mornings.
    By the way the fish are no longer mad and me and the couple had a great wedding.
    ~brendaisagirl~

If you ever get up to NH there is a good gun range up there that lets you rent anything from a 9mm, 50cal, right up to an automatic MP5! That way you get a feel for how it fits and fires in your hand. If you're small, inexperienced and probably only going to own 1 gun I would go with a 9mm.

http://www.gunsnh.com/range.php
    Sally

I am a firearms instructor and the best advice is to seek out an instructor who knows how to properly fit a handgun to you. A proper fit means the trigger finger is positioned correctly, which in turn allows the gun to shoot straight. If the firearm does not align with the bones of the forearm then the firearm is not right for you. Be aware that firearm stores are there to make sales and will try to sell based on price many times. In regards to caliber if you are taught correctly this does not matter in regards to kick. Take a 5’0” person in the right shooting stance and they can handle any caliber but the wrong stance will push them down to a very small caliber. If you find a 9mm that fits and feels right then go that direction, no different than if a .45ACP handgun feels right. Most females I take to the range gravitate towards a 1911 style handgun and I have troubles getting them to stop shooting. Take your time and do not rush the purchase is best.

Glock, Kimber, S&W are some names to look at. Be aware that Glocks are made for average to bigger than average size hands. The S&W M&P is an excellent handgun to look at in 40 caliber. Oh, in revolvers know that the lighter 38 specials can hurt the hand even with good techniques.

Hope this helps
    SRS January 27

Quote Originally Posted by Crissy Kay View Post
    Hi all, I would just like to ask you guys if any of you do any target shooting? I just got my firearms license, and am planning on buying my first gun. I am on the small side for a GM, 5/4, 143lbs.
    Sorry if parts of this will seem over simple,
    But I don't know how much you do or don't know about guns.

Some more info would really help.
    There are other factors besides your size and experience that will narrow down what is best for you.

What is the gun going to be used for:
    1) Personal target shooting?
    2) Competition shooting?
    3) Home/Personal defense?
    3) Or a combination of the above?

Do you have a preference between the two basic types:
    1) The 6 shooter / Wheel gun [double action]
    2) The Slide action / Automatics [single or double action]

Do you want or need a single or double action trigger.
    Single action generally means you have to manually pull the hammer back each time in order to fire the gun.
    Double action generally means once you pull the hammer back you will not have to do it again to re-fire the gun.

The caliber of the gun is basically the size of the bullet it fires.
    Deciding on what caliber to buy depends on what you want to use it for.

It is better to buy a caliber you can slightly grow into [get more comfortable with] rather then buying one you will quickly grow out of.

There are other things to factor in but this is a good start.
    Last edited by Sammy777; 10-22-2008 at 07:18 AM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Platinum Member
    walks in looks around ...... wtf is wrong with you people have you got anal cranium inversion????? this thread was for the guys to answer ......... note to self must make new member smart enough to read from now on..................

Smile

Thanks all of you for all your comments and suggestions. While I have made no decision yet on what to buy, I will think about what everyone has said. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Sorry, all I know about guns is how to disarm someone who's pointing a gun with a slide at me (a Glock, for instance), at close range, haha!
    Same. I know how to take a weapon off someone else, but I don't do anything else.

I'd like to learn to shoot, sometime. But at the same time, guns do scare me, a lot. It's way too easy to hurt/kill yourself or someone close by without meaning to.
    Remember always that you have not only the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one. - Eleanor Roosevelt

The most universal quality is diversity. - Michel de Montaigne

You do not truly own anything you cannot carry at a dead run!

‘Them as can do, has to do for them as can’t. And someone has to speak up for
    them as has no voices.’ - Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

The idea of handguns just makes me shudder. My sole experience with guns is being taught as a kid in the wheatbelt here to shoot rabbits, foxes, feral goats and the occasional grey kangaroo with a .22 rifle, culling them with my father and my uncle on my uncle's farm. I loved it because I am a crack shot - although these days I wouldn't shoot an animal unless I had to put it down, if I use a firearm it is wholly and solely for target shooting. Aside from the fact that our gun laws here mean that it is very difficult to own a firearm and that here you are not permitted to carry them on your person unless you are in a profession that requires the use of a firearm (eg, police/security or a farmer), I just don't see the need to possess one, and to do so would kind of contradict my nonviolent way of life
    [SIZE="3"]Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are. ~ Unknown[/SIZE]

GypsyKaren
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy me View Post
    walks in looks around ...... wtf is wrong with you people have you got anal cranium inversion????? this thread was for the guys to answer ......... note to self must make new member smart enough to read from now on..................
    I guess some people can't read, I'm now deleting and giving infractions...no more warnings!

Karen Starlene

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    Same. I know how to take a weapon off someone else, but I don't do anything else.

I'd like to learn to shoot, sometime. But at the same time, guns do scare me, a lot. It's way too easy to hurt/kill yourself or someone close by without meaning to.

Yip. My friend Jay, the guy who taught me how to disarm, is somewhat of a gun expert; was trained in the Marines. His gun had a misfire and almost took his wife's head off at a party. Even if I trusted myself fully, guns are too unreliable. You never know when the safety is going to fail or whatever.
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.