Thread: Dancing with your hips

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar

Dancing with your hips

I'm not sure if everyone likes Shakira. But she, and many others, use thier hips alot when dancing.
    I've not yet managed to do this like these ladies do. Is this something with GGs physical body, and "men" can't do well?
    I'd love to shake my hips like this but... ain't happening.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbwQsXeZMSE

Moving like that would be nice but I'd probably hurt myselfe.
    Angie

Banned Read only
    Heck no anyone can dance with their hips if they're in shape.

My daughter is of the opinion that you have to grow up in a culture that promotes that kind of dance. She doesn't think you can learn to move that well once you are an adult.
    Sally

Susan, I know exactly what you mean. I started a similar thread: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=92518

Here is Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" that caused my awakening!

Before you can shake your hips, you have to move them!
    Unless you are in phenomenal shape and have the flexibility of a rubber-band, I doubt that many GG's could do what she does. So don't kick yourself.

Shake them as much as you can and be happy!

If link doesn't work, just go to youtube and search: Hips Don't Lie
    Last edited by dancinginthedark; 11-18-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Fixed link--- I think :)

It is not impossible...get a good cha cha or salsa instructor...then practice a lot what they teach. I have had lessons just to do the dances but, need a lot more practice. You don't even need to mention being a CD, it is part of the dance for guys too.

Brina

Shakira being from Lebanese ancestry learned belly dance at early age and yes it can be done, she is one of the most impersonated celebrities on Latin America's drag shows I have seen some outstanding
    performances takes practices thought.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It also helps to have hips! That accentuates the movement. And it doesn't help to be wearing a corset when you're trying to dance! ( Trust me on that last one!)
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar
    What about novices?
    Can we learn it, at an older age?

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    If you are in good flexzible shape you CAN do it, but it takes a heck of a lot of practice. We have a Fusion Belly-dancing class here in DF/W that I take. It has lots of men in it so i can learn everything without being all dolled up. Plus, i know the head instructor really well and he gives me lessons on body-movement.

Its really cool and great exercise

*hugs*

Zarabeth
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

I live in the Portland, Oregon area, with my (now) 18-yr-old daughter.

it's al in the legs

as Lance Armstrong says. Much of the hip movement you see in women's dancing is actually driven by the legs - knee and thigh movement. Don't try to move your hips, catch the leg movement and you'll get it.

Lee

LOL, this is one of the first things I learned when I started dancing as Ericka. Initially I didn't have a clue and was stiff as a board out on the floor. A couple of lesbian gals took me under their wings and taught me how to move. Bear in mind I was around 55 at the time and in the beginning I felt kind of foolish. It's not just the hips but arms as well. The key is to develop your own style and go with the beat and flow of the music, forget about what you look like and enjoy it. Soon the moves come naturally and it looks like you've been dancing all your life and I make up a lot of them as I go along. The real secret is that most other people don't know what they are doing out there either but the idea is always to have fun and that makes all the difference.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Susan:
    If you can get it, take a look at a show called "Shimmy" on the FIT channel. It is on Direct TV and may be on Dish and the cable networks. Instuctional show on belly dancing and very well done.
    Lois

I think it can be done by men. If you watch Dancing with the stars, those professional girl dancers get those guy celebs to move really well. Even Warren Sapp, as big as he is, really shakes it .

Silver Member
    If I tried to shimmy like that, my back would go out more than I do!

Smile Dancing with your Hips

I say just get out there and shake it - if your afraid of someone is watching - I say so what - your there to have fun not to please them. So GO FOR IT AND SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE that sexy body.

Jennie CD

posted by Jaqui
    I doubt that many GG's could do what she does.
    You're so wrong. All GGs can dance like that. And most of us would by able to get our lips in sync at the same time. It's no big deal.

Ivy
    I just started to teach myself those moves, and it can be done. This vid was a good one to learn the basic hip drop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ov6cCUXkc

I watched a bunch of similar ones, but to do it right, it has to come from your obliques and your glutes. It took me awhile to learn to isolate those muscles, but I'm getting better. Notice her feet and legs barely move, it all comes from the hip and glutes. I've seen other people do it using a push from their legs, but that's the right way to do it from what I've seen.

If you want to learn how to Hip Roll, this gal is insane! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5gg2xh_ts Mesmerizing. The Hip Roll is much different than the Hip Drop, she does both. I've seen guys do it, too, but you need to develop muscle control to do it right.

[SIZE="2"]Shakira's moves range in styles and rhythms, she is excellent in all of them.

Now, dancing without your hips....I can't get to it. To me it all goes even beyond that. As some of the other girls have stated, it is the legs, the arms, the hips.....we know it is the feet too...but I'd like not to forget the shoulders and head. Dancing without considering all of the above, to me, is not the same....(perhaps is cultural).

If you want to dance just get up and do it. Watch videos...watch girls......watch yourself......dance!

If you really want to get down...practice.....practice......practice...you'l l be surprised at what you'll see yourself dancing.

Jah Jah Dance!
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Kyara Ximena[/SIZE]

Dreams are betther lived than dreamt!

The Unlucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_GG View Post
    posted by Jaqui

You're so wrong. All GGs can dance like that. And most of us would by able to get our lips in sync at the same time. It's no big deal.

You're so wrong. My wife has tried to dance like that. I almost called 911 because I thought she was having a seizure. jk

She can't dance like that. So not all GG's can dance like that.

Banned Read only
    I walk alot because I am frightened to death of driving so I have really strong legs and hips I can move pretty well.
    It's one of my best features. I just wish I had maybe a C or D cup instead of a B.

First you inject 40weight into your hips...

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice. Helps to watch yourself in a mirror. And yes, listen to the music. Feel the beat.
    Last edited by Fab Karen; 11-20-2008 at 05:38 AM.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President