Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I say, " Enough With THe Labels Already!!"

I say, " Enough With THe Labels Already!!"

Is anyone else tired of being labelled? And who decided we needed to be labelled anyway? And who did the labelling? Let's see now, from what I can tell, this labelling has gotten so confusing, even we do not know what label to use. A conspiracy by governments maybe? I hope not!
    Ok, we have cd, tg, ts, MtoF, FtoM, fetishist, pre-op, post-op, non-op, t-girl, t-gurl, straight, poly, androgynous, and on, and on, and on. I say, who cares? Let's get rid of the labels, no one even understands what they all mean anyway and half the people that use them use them in the wrong context anyway!!! Sheez!!! And then we get even crazier when we combine our gender label with our sexual preferences. Good heavens, now we are a cd with bi-curious tendencies, non-op , with SRS plans for the future hoping to find an understanding someone. Understanding? How can anyone be understanding when we can't even figure out who you are with all these stupid labels? People aren't some toy you buy at the store, take home, figure out how to use, play with until you are bored with it or find out it's not exactly what you are looking for, and return or throw it out? But that's exactly what labels do for us.
    I say we once and for all say Nay Nay to labels. No more labels. If you want to know something , ask. If someone needs to know something, tell them up front, no hiding. And then maybe just maybe, we can start to appreciate people as people, you know, human beings that are born into this world, get to spend a few years here, and then die and move on to where-ever.
    If a label is needed, why can't we simply be considered gender enhanced people? Do we really need all these labels?

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar

Err

I think you missed some......

And by the time you do have a label and fit into someones little box, you change what you do as we humans are all so changeable. Can I tick "all of the above"?

Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

I couldn't disagree more

...but my perspective considers some important things:

• I subscribe to the existence of a tg spectrum or continuum
    • Such a spectrum is horizontal rather than hierarchical
    • The labels are simply descriptive
    • Labels help provide a means for self-discovery

We are all vastly different and the terms of description help us to convey detail about who we are. If everyone runs around saying that they're simply gender gifted, we would know nothing about what makes them tick and their place in the world in dealing with this tg thing.

The terms along the continuum should not be used to suppress others or suggest that one form of feminine expression is better than another.

Quote Originally Posted by jillleanne View Post
    If someone needs to know something, tell them up front, no hiding.
    And tell them what? I find that the labels as we know them help me to describe exactly who I am and what my tg nature is all about.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Silver Member
    The very fact we are in this forum (other than GG's) means that we don't fit neatly into the category "Male" as society intends for us. So why should there be more labelling once we get here? Because we are all individuals, each of us has some trait that slightly mismatches with this category or that, so the category that best describes me is "ME"

Labels aren't inherently bad. How people deal with them can be, however. I am, for example, a white male. Folks who are smart know this does not entirely define a person - there's more to it. But it is a bit of useful data. I'm also a crossdresser. I don't have a problem with that. I love cheesecake, too. So I am a crossdressing white male cheesecakeologist.

I personally like to organize, sort and label stuff. I don't do this out of some need to control, but for two reasons - its fun and it helps me understand stuff.
    Alex Forbes
    Faux Femme
    Flickr Page

Aspiring Member

Labels are just really descriptive words or phrases.

White, male, husband, father, grandfather, teacher, coach, crossdresser. Which label should use?

Let me see now......did you say what I thought you said about what you thought that I said? Words and labels mean different things to different people and we're just really trying to communicate with one another.

I didn't even realize I carried a "GG" label until I came here.
    "It takes a real man to dress as a woman."

Labels are used for a number of things. Think about some of the acronyms we use to describe others.

There is WASP, DINK, Yuppie, etc. Now if somebody will only publish a translation dictionary.

They can label me all they want. I'm use to it. Labels make people feel orderly. As for me, things are always changing. The label I was under last month doesn't fit this month(if it ever did). I AM ME!

Aspiring Member
    I don't mind labels that describe what I do. For instance, I crossdress. That makes me a crossdresser. That's fine. What bothers me is labels that try to describe first and foremost what I am without reference to what I do. The prime example is transgendered. I do not know what that is supposed to mean, and even if I have a definition (there are many), they are so broad and all inclusive that they are not an accurate description of me or what I do. It implies that I cross some gender divide, but I have no confusion over my gender, or dislike of it. Nor do I feel that I have a female side that is wanting to be released. I simply enjoy the adventure of being a man who has discovered the pleasures of playing the female role, which is entirely different from dressing to become my own form of woman.

The problem, as I see it, is that we are searching for a word to describe a large community of individuals who are all different from one another. No one word fits all, but each carries a lot of baggage in the form of stereotypes. These are confusing not only to ourselves but more importantly to those who are close to us. Yes, we are a large community and maybe some form of commonality might speed up public recognition of our cause, but by attempting to emphasize our similarities instead of our differences, we often cause a lot of heartache and problems for ourselves.

The trend in support groups and forums, is to be all inclusive or open, and that is fine because we can learn a great deal about human nature in general by exploring our diversity. However, I also see a need for support that is more specific to each individuals circumstances, in order to allay the fears of spouses who can be overwhelmed by confusion over such diversity, and feel insecure about where they and their husbands are. Some of the labels in use do little to offset these fears.

Veronica

There's nothing wrong with labels. Labels are useful shorthand, as long as we remember that they're only shorthand.

If I describe myself as a "Democrat" or "Republican" or "Libertarian" that label lets you make reasonable inferences about many of my beliefs, and it's simpler than telling you a list of my positions on various issues. Of course political thought can't be neatly classified into a one-dimensional set of boxes, so people refine and extend the categories: someone might be a "Rockefeller Republican" which is (in the USA) a label for a particular (nearly extinct) species of socially liberal Republicans. And so on.

Labels become a problem in several ways. One, when we stereotype, which essentially means imposing our own view of a label onto a particular individual. Two, when we limit ourselves to existing labels and try to fit hexagonal pegs into a choice of round, square, and star-shaped holes.

Kath (married MTF TG, lesbian, democrat, scientist, PhD, left-handed, tall,
    Linux & Mac user, blah blah blah)

Aspiring Member

Labels

It seems to me that if we ditched all of the other labels, we would come under one label. Everyone on this forum whose posts that I have read obviously feel different degrees of femininity. we all also express it in different ways and degrees. I consider myself a full Transsexual, but in some ways may be less feminine looking than some of you others. I have to act very masculine at my job, but when I went to dinner with a gg friend from work a few weeks ago, she was stunned by how sensitive I was when I let my guard down. I hate big labels, but understand the smaller ones that define who we are on here. They dont lock us into something, but maybe they help us understand each other.

I actually don't mind labels.. Think of it more like a consumer protection kind of thing.. Like "this product contains the following ingredients" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paige. View Post
    In your case Paige add the labels.. Pretty, Cute, Inteligent.. Sexy...

Yeah... Those are the labels I love!! In the grand scheme of things... getting bent out of shape because someone labels you... ... Isn't even on my radar..
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

The only label I like to use is "Me".
    I am my own unique person.
    Crossdressing does not define who I am, it is just a small part of the whole "Me".

Labels are OK as they let people know, broadly, what they are going to get in advance.

Sarah

Label: Just add alcohol.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A day without crossdressing is a day wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paige. View Post
    And I didn't even know what GG stood for when I came here

Terms can be used for "good" or "bad". When used here it is simply a way to help yourself and others understand you and possibly help and offer encouragement. When used by people in a derogatory means then they can turn against us. But that is only if you let them. Weigh the two sides.
    “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

-Dr.Seuss

Before I consider this information, I'll need your model number and serial number. They're on the bottom of your left foot.

The only label i need is
    Blonde end facing upwards!!

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica27 View Post
    What bothers me is labels that try to describe first and foremost what I am without reference to what I do. The prime example is transgendered.
    Yeah, that's a really good point. And it may well be true for many folks.

As for me, I actually love the TG label precisely because it covers such a huge range. I'm at a particular point in my life now, and that might need a particular label. I expect to move on at some time in the future to another stage in my life, which will probably need a new label. But it's better if I just keep the existing one and re-use it.

Otherwise, you could just meet me, talk to me, call me Sarah... and make up your own mind and your own label for me!

Sarah...
    Last edited by Sarah...; 11-26-2008 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Much like a library, perhaps we could have some form of a "Dewey Decimal System" as it relates to "US"

Please note the sarcasm
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I look at labels, the good ones, as a way to figure out where I am on the gender spectrum. I don't like labels like "fag" or "perv".

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    IIn your case Paige add the labels.. Pretty, Cute, Inteligent.. Sexy...
    Paige? Eh, she's okay I guess...
    Last edited by Sandra; 11-27-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts, use the edit/multi quote button as multi posting is not allowed on the forum .

Where's my Millionaire?? Kendra (Tx)'s Avatar

Smile

[SIZE="3"]People ask me about my "label" ...I always say "Machine wash, warm...tumble dry on low heat.."[/SIZE]

http://kendra954.com
    [SIZE="3"]Some of the most beautiful women in the world were born male. [/SIZE]

Labels are okay for reference I guess but when it comes to knowing WHO you are, no one can really tell you that. Some folks need labels as they are unsure but the folks who are sure don't need any and who they are as a person is evident.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Just because someone calls you something does not mean you are that. I am Bi Polar and get called mentally ill a lot. Does not make me mentally ill, I hold down a very good job, have a happy relationship. You have to learn not to wear the label. If you call me a chair, does not make me one.
    Brenda