Thread: I should feel like a textbook case, but...

I should feel like a textbook case, but...

Allow me to explain what I mean by "textbook case": I grew up a first born son, with an antagonistic and absent father, a mother who is a tad on the protective side, and a younger sister whom (at the time) I felt received more praise and attention than I did, despite being spoiled and getting in trouble often. (I never got in trouble, but never felt much kudos for it)

Readers of certain literatures I've read out there might go "no wonder why you crossddess!" but I somehow doubt that any of that is the reason. It feels like such an intrinsic part of my tempement that I think it precedes my upbringing.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe what you've read? Do these supposed reasons apply to you?

No! Because if I talk to a million Transgendered People, I'm going to get a million different stories. And no, "The basic facts" won't be similar either.

Aside from, "I first started with my Mother's or Sister's Clothes," I don't see any connections. And even that one is simple enough to figure out: "Your a kid, where the hell else would you get your clothes from?"

People who tend to write about us; most come from Psychiatric Backgrounds. They always see: "a cure for a disease." If we don't have any "symptoms," then there is no criteria for diagnosing and a subsequent cure. It isn't surprising that they will always come up with some sort of set of bogus ideas about "The Cause" of CD. Their livelihood's and reputations depend on such things. There has to be a treatable "illness."

I think we are all different, but I think we are all transgendered. I don't believe it's a disease, so I see no need to find a subset of similar background circumstances. We "is what we is." We need to go on and learn to live with, and learn to love whom we are.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    My early life was similar; a mostly absentee, uninolved father, an overbearing mother and a younger sister who got all the good stuff while I got the grief. Does that prove anything? No, but I think a lot of us have similar backgrounds.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Also first born.... my father divorced my mother early on... my mother and grand mother were always there... and my mother repatedly used to tell me I was supposed to have been a girl.... funny too I started crossdressing right after the birth of my sister.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    No! Because if I talk to a million Transgendered People, I'm going to get a million different stories. And no, "The basic facts" won't be similar either.

Aside from, "I first started with my Mother's or Sister's Clothes," I don't see any connections. And even that one is simple enough to figure out: "Your a kid, where the hell else would you get your clothes from?"

People who tend to write about us; most come from Psychiatric Backgrounds. They always see: "a cure for a disease." If we don't have any "symptoms," then there is no criteria for diagnosing and a subsequent cure. It isn't surprising that they will always come up with some sort of set of bogus ideas about "The Cause" of CD. Their livelihood's and reputations depend on such things. There has to be a treatable "illness."

I think we are all different, but I think we are all transgendered. I don't believe it's a disease, so I see no need to find a subset of similar background circumstances. We "is what we is." We need to go on and learn to live with, and learn to love whom we are.

Peace and Love, Joanie
    No scientist worth his/her salt should base an explanation for a phenomenon like this on hypothetic speculation alone. If people with psychiactric backgrounds believe that my cding was likely caused by the above, I'd sure hope that it's because some repeatable experiment or statistic showed it to be the case. If, however, everyones story was different, this hogwash shouldn't have been accepted by anyone. I'm not quick to believe that psychiatrists are generally that irresponsible, even in this case. I'm kind of curious what another cder's psychiatrist told him, now that I think about it.

Oh don't look for why just dress and enjoy hun.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by TammiTN View Post
    My early life was similar; a mostly absentee, uninolved father, an overbearing mother and a younger sister who got all the good stuff while I got the grief. Does that prove anything? No, but I think a lot of us have similar backgrounds.
    I agree. Just about everyone in my generation had a father who was too busy working to pay the bills to be around much and most mothers were stay at home moms. Nothing unusual about that. How will it work out for todays younger generation where most families have both parents working and kids spending there early years in day care or after school programs. Maybe that will give us a clue to why we are the way we are.

first born son, absentee father, no positive feedback for doing things well, still.. this is much deeper than all of that..

i am who am i, and i love myself for it

Kisses,
    Jonelle

Quote Originally Posted by subaru_forster View Post
    Allow me to explain what I mean by "textbook case": I grew up a first born son, with an antagonistic and absent father, a mother who is a tad on the protective side, and a younger sister whom (at the time) I felt received more praise and attention than I did, despite being spoiled and getting in trouble often. (I never got in trouble, but never felt much kudos for it)

Readers of certain literatures I've read out there might go "no wonder why you crossddess!" but I somehow doubt that any of that is the reason. It feels like such an intrinsic part of my tempement that I think it precedes my upbringing.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe what you've read? Do these supposed reasons apply to you?
    Did you grow up in my house?