Thread: Different height - different walk

Different height - different walk

When I wear anything up to a 2 1/2" heel,
    I walk heel down first followed by the toe.

When I wear 3" or 4" heels,
    I walk toe down first followed closely by the heel.

How do you do it?
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

[SIZE="3"]Heel Toe[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee[/SIZE]

Fun Loving Party Girl Ashlie Marie's Avatar
    yeah all my girlfriends and my wife have all taught me the proper way is swing your hips (fake for me lol) and walk heel toe.. After 2 years i think i am finally getting there. I can dance in 2 inch heels now so its good lol
    ----------------------------------------

All that is important is that you are comfy with yourself --<<--@

Come Visit me: My FaceBook Page

Never really thought about it before... I check next time I'm out...
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Arthritis has killed my knees; I limp along no matter what I'm wearing. Heels don't help either, but it feels nice to wear them anyway.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Different height -different walk

Hi Sam,
    I was just thinking the same earlier this morning. When I walk in 'Bob' mode I have quite a wide gate with each foot to the side of the centreline. When I walk in ladies shoes I have found it better and easier to take small steps and walk with my footstep closer to the centreline, The closer the better. this also encourages the hips to swing which has also given me much better composure and balance. But to answer your question, Heel-toe.
    Mandy,
    I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

I've alway hit on the heel first I don't know why you do that hun.
    Angie

Heel -toe, but the higher the heel, the shorter the stride, and more hip sway.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda.D View Post
    When I walk in 'Bob' mode I have quite a wide gate with each foot to the side of the centreline. When I walk in ladies shoes I walk with my footstep closer to the centreline, The closer the better.
    In guy mode I walk almost feet straight ahead, slightly towards centerline.
    In girl mode I walk with both my feet just slightly over lapping centerline.
    But not the "tightrope" one in front of the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie G View Post
    I've alway hit on the heel first I don't know why you do that hun.
    Angie
    Back during Halloween I wore 3" heels for a few hours.
    I got to ask my sister how she walked in heels.
    She said she walks Toe Heel.

Anyway, I have been wearing cowboy boots since I was 18.
    So I am very used to a 2 1/2 block heel.
    All of my girls shoes/boots also have some form of block heels.
    But when I wear the 3" & up heels, the Heel Toe walk seems off.

Am I just not used to the higher height yet?
    I remember it took some time to get used to my cowboy boots at first.

It just seems easier to walk Toe Heel in the higher heels,
    especially when I close the gap between my feet & slightly overlap my step.

I normally don't have a very long stride when walking.
    But do you think shortening it a little more might help?
    Last edited by Sammy777; 12-05-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

To be honest in 3 1/2" or shorter I really don't know as I am very comfortable walking in heels. Now I have a pair of 4" heels and I walk altogether different in those, I believe you would call it flat footed, my wife said they are to high for me and the walk is not normal. I just had to try a higher heel you know

Heel toe but shorter strides in higher heels. However if I were to compete in the HH race that the Today Show had, I would be on toes only.

Ithink it does take some getting used to. Each time I have tried a higher heel I have started by landing heel and toe more or less at the same time. it has taken a while to get to where I can get the heel to land first. Of course , the narrower the heel the more wobbly you will feel.
    There is nothing that gets your adrenaline going better than high narrow heels and a hard slippery floor!!

Quote Originally Posted by shannonsilk View Post
    There is nothing that gets your adrenaline going better than high narrow heels and a hard slippery floor!!
    I agree, LOL
    Most of my cowboy boots HAD very slick bottoms.
    My way around that was a bit of guytoitiveness.

Although this approach may not be very attractive,
    I used some 80 grit sandpaper & an orbital sander on the bottoms of them to scuff them up so I didn't slip anymore. lol

New shoes/boots/ect & nice hardwood floors never go together!

Heel and then Toe unless they are spikes then any way you can to look graceful.
    Laura

Wearing shoes with high heels will alter your posture, walk, balance, and stride. Navigating in heels is a skill, that must be learned and practiced.

Practice is the primary requirement. Without lots of practice, you will be clumsy and even dangerous in heels.

Through plenty of practice time, I can hike distances, in 4"- 5" heels, and even fast dance in 4" spikes. Never fall down.

If you want to surmount the challenge of skillfully walking in high heels, then there is no substitute for dedicated practice. It takes a commitment of time and energy, but the rewards are worth it.

The higher the heel the shorter your stride and the shorter the time from heel strike to the toe strike. If you are wearing 'skyscraper' heels the heel and toe strike may almost be simultaneous. Practice is the only thing that works and in this case the practice is a lot of fun. Start with lower heels and as you become more comfortable move up in height.

I think the walk is more a matter of balance in the higher heels. I normally walk heel first when I'm wearing any shoe with less than a 2" heel. Anything higher than that has to be toe first along with a shorter gait. For me that puts more emphasis on the ball of the foot and shifts my weight foreward.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaM View Post
    Although this approach may not be very attractive,
    I used some 80 grit sandpaper & an orbital sander on the bottoms of them to scuff them up so I didn't slip anymore. lol!
    [SIZE=3]Now, why didn't I think to do the reverse on the heels with the stuff to stop you from sliding for Halloween! It took a year to find a pair of wedges slick enough to dance in.

I can walk in 4" wedges no problem. Heel toe but probably a little flatter since I use smaller steps to be comfortable walking. I did buy an uncomfortable set if 4" heels with 1/4" spikes for the heel. Definitely toe heel, flat foot until used to them. Practice helps a lot. [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by erickka View Post
    Heel -toe, but the higher the heel, the shorter the stride, and more hip sway.
    Is what I've been taught. Keep your feet straight and cross your legs slightly if you can.
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

I just got my first heels the other day and due to budget and limited selection due to my large feet I had to go with a 5 inch heel. With my lack of experience I can only walk toe first in them without falling and breaking my ankle.

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    The only heels I've worn are 3 or 3 1/2 inch. I walked heel-toe, but it felt very off balance. I'm working on putting more weight on my toes, so I'll at least hit heel-toe at the same time.

A good trick to getting the correct walk for you -

Take your shoes off and stand/balance on your tiptoes, when comfortable that you arent going to fall over/plant your foot start to walk around. You naturally begin to walk in a more feminine way and become accustomed to wearing heels before you've even put a pair on.

Once it is comfortable to walk on tiptoes, put one foot directly in front of the other staying on the tip of the foot. By a simple extension of the heel to the outside (i.e. when placing the right foot down sway out the heel to the right) as you put your foot down you will get a more natural looking walk and hipsway.

Rach

All my non-platforms are 5 inch heels, my platforms are 7 inch heels.

First, for me, 5 inch heel is simular to a 3 1/2 inch for most of you, my foot size is a womens 15, which changes the geometry.

Male shoe stride, feet landing heel/toe, slightly toe out, outside of center line

Female shoe stride, feet landing heel/toe, slightly more toe out, crossing over center line slightly.
    "I am Yin & Yang, North & South, Night & Day, Feminine & Masculine" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64235483@N02/

Good advice Rach!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel B View Post
    A good trick to getting the correct walk for you -

Take your shoes off and stand/balance on your tiptoes, when comfortable that you aren't going to fall over/plant your foot start to walk around. You naturally begin to walk in a more feminine way and become accustomed to wearing heels before you've even put a pair on.

Once it is comfortable to walk on tiptoes, put one foot directly in front of the other staying on the tip of the foot. By a simple extension of the heel to the outside (i.e. when placing the right foot down sway out the heel to the right) as you put your foot down you will get a more natural looking walk and hip sway.

Rach

Very good advice! After a night of walking in heels, followed by days of my legs hurting afterward, I began practicing walking on my tiptoes whenever I could. I got to where I could walk a few blocks on my toes without a problem. The next time "Ellen" came out to play an evening in heels went by without pain, and I think (hope) I didn't look like an idiot.

Ellen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I feel more complete and happier now than I ever thought possible

Heel Toe on a flat surface but it is a whole different ballgame when it comes to stairs. Going downstairs is very scary!