Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best way of walking in high heels?

A blossoming flower xx Jennifer Devine's Avatar

Whats the best way of walking in high heels?

Hiya girls!

I bought a pair of men's size 9, 6 inch high heel stilletos on ebay last week for £16.00. A right bargain!

Anyway, i'm going to a friend's 18th birthday party soon and it will be my first time out as Jen as the dress code is black and pink for everybody.

Now i've never worn stilletos in my life and i was wondering how do you walk in these things without falling to the ground every 5 minutes?
    I didn't realise they would be so steep! lol

Jen xxxxxx

I don't have a terrible lot of experience in heels, but from what I know, SMALL STEPS and PRACTICE are the only way to go.

very carefully and positively practice an hour a day for a week or two before leaving the house. You will probably want to start out stepping more flat footed until you get more comfortable. I thought a true 4" step was bad enough...jeez

Brina

Walking in heals is just like starting a new exercise program. You will be using muscules in your legs that have not been used that way before. Your balance will be different. Practice going up and down stairs. Walking on different surfaces. Hardwood, carpet, concrete - all are differnet and take time. You also have to watch out for different obsticles.. drains and grates in the street and sidewalks, even door mats can snag a heel.

But with practice, you will find it natural. But the key word is practice. I would say come and go in a set of flats and keep them close at hand.

Walking in 6 " heels

As others have suggested, if you have a friend who has a walker (for old folks,) try them in your livingroom and hold on tight. I have enough trouble with 4 ", let alone 6". Much practice and expect you legs to really ache after a short time. Suggest you get a 4" set of pumps. If not practice, paractice, and wear other shoes until you get there. Take a shoe horn to get them on. Good Luck. beth ann

Hi Jen,
    Good advice so far from the other girls. Expect a few pains, but it is worth it. Small steps, and try a little more each day. Never gone over 5 inch myself, Wow, those sound hot.
    Susan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Devine View Post
    Hiya girls!

I bought a pair of men's size 9, 6 inch high heel stilletos on ebay last week for £16.00. A right bargain!

Now i've never worn stilletos in my life and i was wondering how do you walk in these things without falling to the ground every 5 minutes?
    I didn't realise they would be so steep! lol

Jen xxxxxx
    Jen the only advice i can give is if its your first pair of heels, a smaller heel might have been more appropriate..
    still the easiest way i found is walk forward putting the ball / toes down first then the heel...don't stride to far forward and maybe buy some gel pads... heels that high will kill your calf muscles.... good luck..
    [CENTER] Be sure the brain is engaged, before putting the mouth into gear

[SIZE="3"]Sam and I Are Now Together[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Whats the best way of walking in high heels?

Six inch high heels are for show only. They are not for walking around or dancing. If you must, walk on you toes not on the heels. Good luck.

You'll be sorry!........

Thanks for the advice girls! =)
    I've also noticed when wearing them how much better my posture looks.
    I am a size 9/10 and these were the only ones that were my size plus these are made especially for men with the metal rods in the heels as i am 5ft 11, 17st and a size 18 so i would probably break a standard pair of heels quite easily.
    Will post a pic of them tomorrow.

Jen xxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley-cd View Post
    You'll be sorry!........
    Yeah, I can't imagine going out in heels for the first time with the heels being 6"ers.....

1. Head up, straight back. That will stop you feeling as if you are 'falling forward'

2. Short steps.

3. Try to keep the legs straight...don't bend them at the knees - it will just make you look drunk and 'wobbly'.

4. Enjoy the sensation!

xxx
    Sarah
    (mistress of the 6in heel)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A day without crossdressing is a day wasted.

..and one I forgot. If you are wearing a long skirt lift it up going up/down stairs, pavements etc.

You might also want to take a second pair of shoes with you in the car....the first time you wear tall heels for any length of time your calves will complain...!

Also, try to gel-pad the toe/front foot area...your weight pressing down may lead to 'numb/painful toes.

Sarah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A day without crossdressing is a day wasted.

Hint, take a pair of flats with you just in case

Exercises.

Stand on tip-toes whenever you can. When you wake up try to stand on tip-toes sixty times in a minute. It will strengthen your calf muscles.

Lie on the bed and stretch each leg out five times, one by one. That will help your calves.

As everybody else says practice, practice, practice if you've got a full length mirror practice in front of that.

Trust your heels when you get there - heel toe, but small steps

Good luck and have fun - bet you will!
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

Silver Member
    Jennifer, I think you are overdoing it with 6" heels as your first time wearing high heels. A pair of 4" heels will still look sexy and they are more practicle for walking. You will need a lot of practice in them before you will be comfortable with them. If you are going to drive take some flats with you for this. Be carefull and good luck.

Even four inch heels might be too high for a first time. I suggest you wear flats to and from the party and try to sit or at least take you shoes off from time to time. Otherwise, the pain you suffer may turn you off to heels--as it has for many GGs!

I posted something very close to this a few days ago Different height - different walk hope this helps.

I have to agree, 6" heels for your first time out?

That is like shoving a novice down a double black diamond slope.

Are they a true 6" heel or platforms?

The words: ouch, trouble & trip to the ER all come to mind, lol.
    Last edited by Sammy777; 12-07-2008 at 07:22 PM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Well Jennifer, if you really must go out in 6" heels, "the best way of walking" in them is to stay on hard surfaces, avoid floor vents, and steer clear of sand and soft soil. They look awesome but ....everyone else has said it all before.

Good luck.

Babette

Being blessed with "womens" legs and feet I have no problems wearing any size of heel, but even I would hesitate to wear a 6" heel for any length of time. My advice would be to walk around on your tiptoes all day (where possible wear a smaller heel to get the balance correct).

However, if you have never worn stilettos before you are going to seriously struggle. Expect sore calfs, shin strain, pain in toes/heels/arches, thighs and probably hamstring if you are standing around for a lot of the time. I always carry some painkillers/foot spray to soothe those aches and pains away.......

Have a good time and remember, little steps will get you further than giant strides........

Rach

six inches

you're kidding, five.five is my limit. But good luck girl!

Google 'walking in high heels' and you should get a number of videos for learning to walk in high heels. Two more or less randomly selected sites are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSSA_...eature=related
    http://www.highheelshoemuseum.com/ht...ngInHeels.html

VERY IMPORTANT !!!!

Steps & Stairs.

Going up is no problem,
    Just walk on the balls/front of your feet & let the heel hang off the back of the step.

Going down can be easy, but requires a bit of though.
    In 6" heels you WILL have to take each step sideways.
    Place your whole foot [sideways] on each step as you go down.
    Or you will get down those stairs a lot faster then you planned on. lol
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

My 'other' other half. tanya1976's Avatar
    In my experience...slowly

Thanks for all the advice girls! =)
    I have had some practice this morning and i have gotten a little bit better with them. I can balance better but i just need to get used to other different surfaces.

Jen xxxx

You seem to be off to a good start. Conditioning your feet and legs is a must. Strech your muscles before you go out, and if need be, while you are out, since it will help to keep from getting some really nasty leg and foot cramps. Above all, be aware of the surfaces you are walking on. Good luck!