Thread: "DES Sons" and Gender Dysphoria

"DES Sons" and Gender Dysphoria

Ladies,

We've had numerous posts here about "why am I the way I am", and most often, the bottom line is, "don't know, why fret over it?"

That's been my attitude for decades -- look forward, not backward, and enjoy being "gender-agile" -- but yesterday I stumbled on an article that might actually offer a concrete reason why some of us older girls are TG.

During the 1940's and early '50s, some women took a drug called DES to prevent miscarriages and other pregnancy problems. This drug has since been identified as statistically correlated with a number of problems in the children. One of these is a very high incidence of Gender Dysphoria (i.e. some form of transgender manifestation) in males.

From the study:

One of the most significant findings from this study is the high prevalence of individuals with confirmed or strongly suspected prenatal DES exposure who self-identify as transsexual, transgender, intersex, or who have identified serious difficulties with gender dysphoria.
    The paper states that between 1/4 and 1/3 of the "DES Sons" surveyed experience some form of transgender manifestation.

Wow.

Here's a link to the full article:

http://www.antijen.org/transadvocate/id33.html

Hugs,
    Susie

Banned Read only
    Wow! This looks very interesting from the first couple of para's. Will read it later when time available....

Personally, I'm one of those who don't care how I got this way, but I do have a need to know all the theories...

Thanks Susie!