Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaving question from a GG

They call me quiet girl.. Sarah...'s Avatar
    Oh, I dunno. I kinda love my face to be as smooth as my legs. That's why I love shaving my face after two or three days - I get such a close shave it's gorgeous.

Sarah...

This is for Doc R, but I suppose others may benefit as well, because up until recently, I never knew the right way to shave.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Shaving stimulates the root and hair usually comes back thicker and darker!
    Always read that was a myth. The hair just gets thicker as we get older, giving the impression it's caused by shaving. But I had a beard the first 25 years of facial hair, and only trimmed it, never shaved. It came in thicker anyway. So much for that theory.

I've never been able to use a razor without getting a rash!
    For some of us, it's hard to get a close shave without irritation. My dad didn't teach me to shave, so I was doing it wrong until a few years ago. Try showering first, use shampoo and conditioner on the beard as well as head, and do it last so you don't constantly rinse all the conditioner off. Use a good lubricating gel, (I use Edge) lather and wait a few minutes (yeah, I hate waiting too, but you have to). The skin MUST be held firm and taught. You'll have to discover which direction to shave, I suppose it depends on your face. I shave in a downward direction above and just a bit past the jaw line, then in an upward direction from the chest/neck line back to the jaw line. ONCE. ONCE. If you go over it again without more gel, the lubrication is gone, and you're scraping the skin. And, depending on how fast your beard grows, you may be able to get a closer shave if you wait an extra day between shaves (at least, I can) because the multiple blade razors need a long enough hair to grab on to and pull it taught before the last blade shaves it off, leaving the stub slightly below skin level. Oh, and for a good shave, you have to use a new blade. Yeah, it gets expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I buy my blades by the hundreds on ebay, price comes down to about a buck a cartridge. Yes, you can sometimes get by with a used blade, but for important dates, spend the cash and do it right. For those of you with thicker beards, you may have to re-shave in different directions to get all the stubble. My tutor told me he had to shave up, sideways and down in every section to get a smooth shave, and that it takes a lot of time but he didn't see any other choice.
    Legs? Same, after a long shower, using Edge gel, I shave upwards to keep it close. Just takes a lot longer, I guess partially because I don't do it that much so I'm not as good at it. Maybe I'll try nair next time.
    Doc, if you still get irritation in some areas, you might consider electrolysis for those sections only. Good luck.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

The Unlucky
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    --- Shaving stimulates the root and hair usually comes back thicker and darker!
    I find it funny this myth is still around to this day. It was busted on national TV a few years ago. I guess people still believe it because it sounds like it could make sense. Kinda like warm water freezes faster than cold water. (it doesn't btw)

It is sorta simple.
    It is what is socially expected of us, so there's no fun in it.

Men: Have to shave there face. Fun could be growing a beard for some.

Women: Have to shave their legs [unless you live in France J/K] lol

So the fun part could be from doing the opposite of what society says we can't or shouldn't do or it could just be the feeling of them after.
    To each his/her own on fun vs. feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyCD View Post
    I find it funny this myth is still around to this day. Kinda like warm water freezes faster than cold water. (it doesn't btw)
    Actually, it's boiled water that freezes faster.
    Even if it is a higher temp then nonboiled water it will freeze faster because there are less impurities in it.
    People just sorta screwed the wording/facts over time.

It is the same as distilled water will NOT boil.
    [Distilled water is boiled, turned to steam then back to water removing most or all impurities]

Water only boils [bubbles] because of the impurities.
    Distilled water goes from water straight to vapor without all the bubbling.

If you bring distilled water to boiling temp it will just sit there.
    Now, drop something, anything in to it and it will instantly & violently "boil" [bubble up].
    Last edited by Sammy777; 12-18-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

I already know this is going to be a bit redundant, but for me it's all about the hose. I really don't care for shaved legs other then I love pulling pantyhose over shaved legs and I hate the way pantyhose looks on hairy man legs.

I agree with what someone already said here. Don't shave your legs for a year Paige, then one day, shave them bare and slip into the softest pantyhose you can find and that may give you a bit of an idea.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

I'm no expert, but;

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Always read that was a myth. The hair just gets thicker as we get older, giving the impression it's caused by shaving. But I had a beard the first 25 years of facial hair, and only trimmed it, never shaved. It came in thicker anyway. So much for that theory.
    Lexi, the myth I heard, goes like this: "If u shave OR CUT your hair, it grows back darker and thicker".

Quote Originally Posted by KellyCD View Post
    I find it funny this myth is still around to this day. It was busted on national TV a few years ago. I guess people still believe it because it sounds like it could make sense.
    Lexi and Kelly, I can ONLY site my 60 years of experience. ( Not counting the hair on my head, that has been falling out since age 19), here's what I've experienced:

1. The only places on my body I've ever cut or shaved my hair, is on my face and in my nose. Both of those places have MUCH thicker hair than when I was, say 16, when I started shaving. (Yes, I know men's nose and ear hair increases as they age). Brings me to my next point.

2. My ear hair DID increased in volume, but NOT in thickness! I've always plucked it. Never cut it! There's much less of it now, and it's much finer, than 10 years ago. At about the same time, I began trimming my nose hair more often. It's gotten denser and thicker!

3. The hair on my; arms, legs, and pits, is still baby fine. As it was when I was 16. I'm not sure about the amount of hair there, just the thickness. It may be longer and denser now, but not thicker.

Maybe I'm the exception, don't know. Or maybe the "myth" came about, because for many, it's true!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by Paige. View Post
    What is the difference between shaving your face and shaving your legs?

I am curious because I have never read a post that says something like "OMG, I just shaved my face again. My cheeks feel incredibly smooth and sexy and I was so turned on the whole time. It must be the 6,143rd time for me and my make-up is going to look so good."
    Actually I do feel that way sometimes. Usually soon after electrolysis so that I have an unusually smooth face. Shaving , then moisturizing, then applying makeup is so nice at that point!

As far as the differences, well.......

You don't see your face as much, only in a mirror. Your legs are very visual because they're right there in front of you. Since most of us wear alot of skirts and dresses with hose, that accentuates or focuses our attention on them. Also, it's a much larger surface area so the affect is magnified. I especially notice the different feelings when wearing a silky skirt out on a breezy day. Even after years of this that is an incredibly sensual feeling!
    Sally

Paige, I wish I could do both. Whereas it is acceptable for a man to be clean-shaven, it is not for a man's legs to be so. I'm sure that most of us take the liberty to be clean-shaven on the face for obvious reasons. I shave mine almost every day. But when it comes to the legs, the best I can do and get away with is to thin out the forest with some electric clippers, and wear multiple layers of hosiery to cover up.

So, for the record, I'm really glad when I get a good, close shave on my face with minimal cuts and nicks to deal with, because my makeup looks much better when I can do this.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

What is the difference between shaving your face and shaving your legs?

I am curious because I have never read a post that says something like "OMG, I just shaved my face again. My cheeks feel incredibly smooth and sexy and I was so turned on the whole time. It must be the 6,143rd time for me and my make-up is going to look so good."

I don't mean to mock, but when you want to dress you shave your face to look pretty and feminine. But it isn't the same as doing your legs is it? Is it because a beard is strictly a male thing and leg shaving is a female thing? Can anyone enlighten me?

Ah, I finally get to answer a question from Paige. Hey Girl! Um, I hate having to shave my face but shaving my legs feels so good. The clothes actually touching my legs feels great. The itching from facial hair regrowing stinks. I have always told my wife that hair should only be on your head and certain parts of your face. I really hate hair. YUK! Not the answer you were looking for but I don't get a high out of shaving my legs becasue I "Nair" them but still do not get a high out of hairless legs. Unless there is a pair of pantie hoes on them, they are just my guy legs with out hair. Oh well.

i was brought up to be clean shaven at all times (tho rarely am) i hate to shave cos it all ways leaves me in pain
    i spent $$$ on a wet electric shaver but they never a close shave.
    if i could i would have laser on face

Well I feel clean with out body hair. The body hair to me is repellent and gross. Now I'm not a TS, just a CDer that feels better dressed and feels better when my skin is softer and smoother. So shaving or using Nair does make me feel better. More femme yes, but a lot cleaner. When I bathe or shower, my skin feels so good.

Edy

I cam walk around with a clean shaven face all day and noone cares.
    Legs are a different story, Its kind of a right of passage to the CD world

Cari

I don't get anything out of the act, but I do like the feel of a good close clean shave (legs or face). I find leg-shaving much easier. Facial hair seems coarser and stiffer, I get some irritation on my neck, can't get all of it shaved. The best shave I can get is if I let it go for a day or 2 and then shave (and get ingrown whiskers if I'm not careful or use a blade that's gotten a bit dull). With legs I don't get any irritation, I can get them totally smooth (and I don't have to do it so often).
    I'd rather shave my legs than my face. I'd like both to be smooth most of the time, although I'm not too concerned if my legs aren't smooth or hairless all of the time (and there are times I like to grow the whiskers).

I have never read a post that says something like "OMG, I just shaved my face again. My cheeks feel incredibly smooth and sexy and I was so turned on the whole time.
    Actually I do love a close shave on my face making it soft and smooth like a baby. But as a man I have been programmed to never state such an idea, and old habits die slowly.

But men like myself with thick body hair really do feel an incredible difference when it is shaved off. The hair does rob you of a great deal of the physical sensation of touch as well as being itchy and annoying.

If it were not for the social stigma behind men shaving their bodies, it would be far more common, probably not that far behind men who shave their faces.

And while we are on the subject, isn't facial shaving an original and accepted form of crossdressing where the man copies the hairless look of a woman? How come woman do not go Eeek! over facial shaving and demand they have a right to a man who must grow a beard to be a real man?

A few years ago i found that I seemed to have fewer hairs on my lower legs. A girl in the office noticed and asked if I shaved them. I replied "no" and this was true but she did not look as though she believed me. I have since heard that men lose the hair on there lower leg as they get older anyway. I have once shaved my thighs (because of wearing sheer stockings) but was self conscious because of the earlier experience in the office. I have recently shave a bit of my chest which is naturally quite hairy. The hairs at the top were tickiling my chin, having never been shaved before. For fun i then shaved my boob area, but now have to wear pyjamas as my SO would certainly make adverse comments. It does feel nice though, especially with a bra and slip!

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail View Post
    A few years ago i found that I seemed to have fewer hairs on my lower legs. I have since heard that men lose the hair on there lower leg as they get older anyway.
    That is true. I don't have much hair for the 5 or 6 inches above my ankles anymore. Wish it would continue up the whole leg!
    Sally

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Susan View Post
    Because you don't put hosiery on your face. Unless your robbing bank.
    That's one of the best one line answers to a query I've ever seen. Take a bow Susan, brilliant!

Red face Pull not shave the hairs on the face.

Paige,
    This takes several hrs but I pull 80% of the hairs on my face.
    I don't have that much though.
    When I pull the face hairs I get such a clean face I do not have to shave for 4 days. It is great. I usually use creams on my legs.

The hard parts to shave is under the arms(pits).

I can't be the only ones am I ???

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    Can I just say one more time that I love shaving my legs. I wanted to do it for the longest time. and now that I have done it I can't imagine not shaving and having those hairy legs back.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

I don't have that much hair on my legs to begin with so it doesn't matter to me weather i shave or not. I did the other day and my legs felt great. I plan to keep this part up from now on

Thanks Miss Megs

All I know is that after I shave my legs, ( which I barely ever do ) my legs feel incredible even in a pair of my jeans. I feel much sexier without ever dressing in womens clothes.
    Love and kisses,
    Kimberly

Yes we women too get razor burn, hence not shaving our faces until we are ancient! However waxing is by far the best way if you can stand the pain,(which gets easier to bear as time goes on). It takes some time to grow in again and when it does it is new softer hair. If you have soft skin around the eyebrow area, don't atempt to wax them. It can leave a bruising mark. Shaving does stimulate growth!
    Good luck to you all!

My .02$ says that, when comparing shaving legs to shaving my face, the legs win for easiest overall /except/ when fighting the ingrown hairs, or a bout of sensitive skin irritation.

Shaving my face, I've found, feels like I'm going up against a thousand of my worst enemies, all standing at attention and holding strong against my attack. With shaving cream, or electric razor, after spending some time to level the enemy's defenses, it still seems like they're still there, under cover, or they've snuck deep into the areas that never like to be visited.. like the hairlip. ;-)

Now, for me, I'm thin, so my chin also, after shaving, ends up full of bumps because, simply, there's very little meat there to soften the pores, etc.

Lastly, the shadow is the most disheartening thing to have to see after all that work. And it is work, and how can someone really feel super proud of this shaving task when the first thing they see back in the mirror is this dark haze.

Sure, when I shave before working with makeup, I strive for a super-soft smooth surface, and I'd say on average 60-70% meets that criteria. The shadow, the fact that I fear seriously cutting myself in such a visible place, etc, makes is very hard to get 100%, all the time - plus it doesn't seem like its ever smooth enough. When I shave my legs, it's become this smooth, caring process, perhaps because I do like the feel of my legs without hair, esp. after a usual lotion treatment (I'll never rush my GG SO through her lotioning procedures again. ;-} ). Further, to look down at my legs and NOT see stubble, or a relative shadow, is a form of happiness for me. My face needs so much work to add some femininity to it, my legs, a razor and lotion.

Lastly, I'll add that, when I have shaved my arms or other parts of my body (chest, down there, etc) that 'smoothness' that I was referring to seems to follow it. Again, with the face, not so.
    Last edited by Angel.Marie76; 12-19-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: slpeelnin

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Susan View Post
    Because you don't put hosiery on your face. Unless your robbing bank.
    What did somebody mention, nevermind I plead the 5th...

OK so yeah it is like this -
    Shaving the face is merely getting rid of the curse of the beard, for at least a little while. It is a chore, it doesn't feel luxurious or even sexy. The makeup feels sexy well can look that way...

Shaving the legs feels nice but is kind of optional. there are long skirts or dark tights or whatever...

Shaving legs is a luxury, shaving the face is a chore.

my 2 cents

I think for me it is because shaving our face is just something that us "guys/girls" just have to do if we choose to not have facial hair, it is maintenance for us. Kind of like girls shaving their legs, it is maintenance. When us girls shave our legs it is part of the feminine process. My GG friend recently talked me into shaving my armpits, lmao, she almost talked me into shaving my legs and chest but I was going on a trip to sunny florida and did not want to reveal myself or have questions asked about my smooth chest and legs, giggles.
    Trisha